Moving out...

Name
Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Just to give you a brief idea on the situation. Recently my girlfriend moved to Birmingham with her family from Yorkshire where I currently live now.

We have been travelling back and forth to see each other every week for the past year and I have been planning on getting a Job.

Friday I received a Job offer from Apple to be a Genius in their Bullring store in Birmingham, I have accepted the job and now need a flat.

Im trying to get a plan set out for everything I need and all my outgoings, I need to find a place within the next two weeks really as I need to go away for training.

I have found about 5 places Im going to look at the week after next which all around £500 Per month which is about the max I can afford really. Im trying to keep my out goings at £950 max, I've typed up a list below with everything I think that would be going out...

Rent £500
Council Tax £80
Rates (water/elec)£70
Food £100
Travel (train fares) £80
Bills (mobile/DD) £65
BB/Phone/sky £40
Social £200

Total £1135

Is there anything else I need to be aware of and any advice anyone could give me?

Thanks in advance

Grant

Last edited:
Grant - could you look at moving in with the girlfriend or is it too soon? How long have you two been together?

Joint income makes things a LOT easier!

I have been with her 2 years but She lives with her parents as she is at college there. I do have the option to live there until I find a place but it would make it difficult to commute to work as its 5 miles from any train station.

I think I'd rather get a place sorted out before I start because I'll have so much to take on board once I'm started...

Well from your list I would say the only thing missing is some kind of social budget - don't know if you will have money left over for this but if not then I really think you should include something. Even if it is just £10 a week to get a movie or go for a couple of drinks.

I'd also say don't underestimate how much food and general household stuff will cost you. Does your £100 for food also include washing / cleaning / bathroom stuff? It all adds up and I'm not sure £25 a week will cover everything? My OH's razor blades alone cost about £8 for 4... but then he does use those gillette fusion ones.

I know when I was a student I managed on a similar amount but that was over 10 years ago now and our weekly shop is WAY more expensive these days. I know we are more extravagent with the things we buy now though - I'm sure plenty of people manage on less.

You need to salt something away in an F.U. fund.

I'm going to budget myself to £50 on a social fund per week.

Updated the original post

Dont forget to factor in the hike in VAT from Jan - up to 20%:(

Birmingham has a huge student population. If you're willing to live somewhere studenty you'll find something in the £200-£300 mark quite easily which would be a big saving. Just depends how fussy you are.

If you're looking at saving money scrap the Sky subscription and landline and just get broadband and a mobile.

hmmm,

with the deals sky do though its just as cheap I think to get all three?

I'd say youlll possibly need more for rates.

Around 40 to 50 pcm for water alone, plus gas and electric. Around 60pm (our usage of that varies).

Don't forget things like clothes, personal stuff etc. You need to leave yourself wiggle room too for emergencies.
I think 100 on groceries might not be enough either.

But then again I have a family of four ;)

He's one man in a flat how much water can he use? Our water is about £27/month but you might need to put some on for gas & electric. Would agree on upping the groceries, £150 unless you want to live on noodles and tap water;)

Two of us in a house and our water was £18 pm, I never cared about scrimping on water, showered every day. loved to keep our 2 cars clean. I found water to be the very cheapest of the bills.

Depends on whether there is a water meter installed, and if not...where he is. Even things like locality of bus stops can have an effect on the water bill apparently.

I really dont eat much, thats why the groceries are so low.

Im not going to be there in the day time so water and electric will only be used on a night by mainly me and sometimes my girlfriend.

How much should I be looking at for council tax for a 1 bedroom flat?

Have a shifty on google as there's some site where you can put in yourpostcode and it will throw up your banding and possibly how much each banding costs. I can't imagine that a 1 bed flat will be above a band A, but definately not above B.

If I find the site I'll link it.

Try this one, put in your postcode and should give you the info you need (y)

Last edited:
Depends on whether there is a water meter installed, and if not...where he is. Even things like locality of bus stops can have an effect on the water bill apparently.

If you're not on a water meter, contact your water company and landlord and get one asap. I'm sure it will save you ££'s over water rates.

INSURANCE!!!

If you're not on a water meter, contact your water company and landlord and get one asap. I'm sure it will save you ££'s over water rates.

It will...*but* this will require consent from the landlord too I think.
And once you have a water meter in, you cannot go back.

Just my 2 pence as I moved out last year, lasted 9 months then called it a day as the bills just mounted up, I'm currently living in Birmingham with relatives so;

Look for somewhere to rent near a university/on a main bus route take selly oak for example, £400 a month for a 2 bed flat grab yourself a £45 a month bus pass and its already saved some cash.

From when I did all this last year my tax came out at about £100, leccy £100 water was £35, youve then also go to think of insurance, tv license days been sick at work ect ect.

Back