Moving to Dark Side

To be fair the o.p didn't ask should he change systems!

true , but if he'd posted i'm thinking of jumping in front of a bus , should i pick a red one or a green one, we wouldnt be advising him on colours !

Soda Farl said:
To be fair the o.p didn't ask should he change systems!

Yes he did:

Andy77 said:
Ok guys im selling all of my canon gear and going to try out the dark side me thinks, ill have a budget of £1500 for body a couple of lens, want a good body capable of good iso performance, fast fps ect, type of photography i do is portraits, landscapes, wildlife, airshows ect, so looking for 2 pieces of lass to cover these types of shooting if possible.

Advice would be greatly apprieciated

Thanks Andy

The fact that he has said he is selling all his Canon gear would lead me to believe otherwise.

There are far too many people on this forum that gleefully spend other people's money without thinking about the consequences.

The OP stated his intention and asked for advice as to what body and two pieces of glass he could get for a range of tog uses for a budget he declared...whats your problem? :thinking:

SteveF said:
The OP stated his intention and asked for advice as to what body and two pieces of glass he could get for a range of tog uses for a budget he declared...whats your problem? :thinking:

You, basically.

What's wrong with other posters pointing out that swapping systems is usually a daft idea and achieves nothing?

You, basically.

What's wrong with other posters pointing out that swapping systems is usually a daft idea and achieves nothing?

The o.p said he shoots air shows his current camera has a poor a.f system how is he acheiving nothing?

You, basically.

Then you have a real problem Mark if you cant see that when an adult makes a decision he doesn't want a load of interfering busy bodies "telling" him what he should not do....

Thats me out ...as comments like yours is one of the reasons i generally don't contribute on this forum (y)

The 5D2 doesnt have a poor AF system though - i'd suspect therefore that he's blaming his grear for user error and will be disapointed when shots don't improve after spending significant cash swapping systems

my advice would be that if he wants a faster burst or a crop sensor for action photography for an effective field of view boost he look at a 1D series or a 7D

that said if he really wants to swap to nikon. my limited experience would suggest a second hand D3 , and a decent long lens (i'm not up on the nikon selection , but I like the sigma 120-300 f2.8 which is available in Nikon (out of budget though) or as has been suggested a sigma 70-200 f2.8 - either of those pairs well with a TC. - theres a big choice for the short end both in nikon and also tamron/sigma.

Last edited:
The 5D2 doesnt have a poor AF system though - i'd suspect therefore that he's blaming his grear for user error and will be disapointed when shots don't improve after spending significant cash swapping systems

my advice would be that if he wants a faster burst or a crop sensor for action photography for an effective field of view boost he look at a 1D series or a 7D

Compared to all Nikon full frame bodies it does. The 5dmk2 is well known for being poor with anything that moves.

Last edited:
Soda Farl said:
The o.p said he shoots air shows his current camera has a poor a.f system how is he acheiving nothing?

A 5dII is easily capable of focusing at airshows which, after all, don't play to it's weaknesses- ie rapid (non linear) changes of direction and low light. Have you used one by any chance?

Andy hasn't actually mentioned which lenses he currently owns, but he'd almost certainly get much better value by buying a second body than swapping the entire system.

I don't understand why people are making a big deal of this.

It's a camera, not a religion.

SteveF said:
Then you have a real problem Mark if you cant see that when an adult makes a decision he doesn't want a load of interfering busy bodies "telling" him what he should not do....

Sorry, did I miss the moment when someone made you a moderator?

Compared to all Nikon full frame bodies it does. The 5dmk2 is well known for being poor with anything that moves.

Well yes and no - I've hired one quite a lot and ive never found it to be particularly bad on relatively slow movement, a lot of the 'known to be' stuff coms from interweb repetition of rumours by people who've never used one.

Granted it won't be great for locking on to a fast moving jet - but again that partly a matter of technique , plus their are canons that are better suited to high action - like the 7D and 1D. If his main interest is airshows and high action he might be better off with a cropped solution anyway

Andy77, do whatever you want for whatever reason mate. Pick the bones out of this thread and decide what's best for you.
One very good lens is the 28-300mm.Stick that on a secondhand D700 and you should be ok for starters.
Ryan (a member on here) used my 28-300mm at several airshows. He loved it.
try that setup for a while and then build your kit up as required.
That's what I would be doing if i was starting out all over again.

Kev.

.....is it only mods that can point out silly behaviour??

I'm fairly sure they will in a minuite :bang: - lets all stop arguing and return to the subject at hand, so sabve them getting the :lock: out

Diving Pete said:
I don't understand why people are making a big deal of this.

It's a camera, not a religion.

Pete, the reason that there is a squabble is that the guys who do this for a living understand that swapping systems will cost a lot of money for very little gain - the others don't seem to get that.

Personally I don't care if someone uses Canon, Nikon or a Box Brownie - as long asitgetsthejob done. However I've watched lots of people splurge shed loads of money for no reason other than a whim.

Pete, the reason that there is a squabble is that the guys who do this for a living understand that swapping systems will cost a lot of money for very little gain - the others don't seem to get that.

Personally I don't care if someone uses Canon, Nikon or a Box Brownie - as long asitgetsthejob done. However I've watched lots of people splurge shed loads of money for no reason other than a whim.

Oh I understand this, but I'd like to think that the guy is fully aware of this also.
However, £1500 will only just get you a single new pro spec lens - 70-200 VRII so in this context I'd probably mention his budget isn't enough to go changing Manufacturers.

Gary is now off to find something else to do for a bit.
No more personal insults or abrasive behaviour, or he will have company.

Simon I think it was the "Don't be silly" comment by the usual suspect that caused me to post so no worries with regards to what you are suggesting.

Steve

Oh god.. here we go.....

Fine... waste your money if you want.

What canon lenses do you have?

What is it that your current setup doesn't give you?

Well, I have to throw in my opinion. This is not a debate of Canon vs Nikon and vice versa but rather about ways of solving a problem. The debate is about ditching everything, making a loss, breaking everything for some hope vs methodical step by step measured approach.

While I do sometimes like to break the status quo, this sounds a little out proportion to be fair, unless the OP has much better reason than we all suspect.

Back with the presumption of under performing 5DII AF as the sole reason for the move, perhaps slow fps as well (this was never advertised as action camera!). Well the truth is that both Canon and Nikon made a lot of great cameras in the last few years. It is much cheaper and easier to stick with the current system, unless we don't know something else very significant.
So the shopping list should include on the following: 5D3, 1DIV, 1DIII or even 7D.
Nikon equivalents are D700 and D3/D3s, with well pretty equivalent and similarly priced lenses that will certainly not cost less than £600 put together. That just doesn't make any sense even if it was "very fashionable" 4 years ago.

Case dismissed.

Like I said.... OP.. save your money... seriously... you'll end up like these two, being so gear obsessed you'll forget what photography is really about :)

I think you lot have scared off the OP, he gone into hiding, 20 hours and not a peep :D :tumbleweed: :coat: :exit: :muted: :whistle: :crowded:

Last edited:
Pookeyhead said:
Like I said.... OP.. save your money... seriously... you'll end up like these two, being so gear obsessed you'll forget what photography is really about :)

Cool story bro

I was joking with tommy and we always wind each other up about gear etc. I accept a thread on here isn't the best place but its abit of craic!

TonyNI and Sodafarl, please restrict your lovefest to e-mail or PM to save clogging up the forum and taking subjects off topic.

It's funny, nobody ever gets this kind of heat for saying "I'm switching to micro 4/3" :D

Back