MPB - Awful service - patience required.

First I knew of it they had opened a case and I politely explained that because over 14 days had passed with no complaint that I would not be accepting a return.

So they left the case open until ebay stepped in and I was notified that ebay had sided with the buyer.

I`m as shocked as anyone that it happened to me and I wont forget it either

Did you just leave it at that?

Yes, I did not want to waste time trying to talk to the brick wall that is ebay
I had an issue some time back when eBay wrongly found against me, I had to insist they re-open the case three times and eventually they back-tracked and found in my favour.
I should add that in this case I was the buyer, not the seller.
At least one of the cases outlined in this thread appears to me to be a case of fraud, not something I would take lying down.

Last edited:
I sell locally through gumtree, Facebook groups, Facebook and Facebook marketplace first then on here. I've never tried mpb but the hassle free aspect is appealing. I've been conned by ebay when selling a camera, guy bought it, met him in person, he said I never sent it a week later. I had no proof we met or postage as I hadn't posted it. Lost camera and money, double whammy.

First I knew of it they had opened a case and I politely explained that because over 14 days had passed with no complaint that I would not be accepting a return.

So they left the case open until ebay stepped in and I was notified that ebay had sided with the buyer.

I`m as shocked as anyone that it happened to me and I wont forget it either

Unfortunately eBay supports scammers and fraudsters by being completely ignorant and biased with their policies. Steer clear unless you're selling small items you're not worried about losing the money for. They'll even protect repeat offenders by refusing to disclose information about how frequently they've used the not as described option to get their money back. Lots of people use eBay simply because they know they can get away with fraud

Last edited:
It used to be the case that you could gauge the honesty of a buyer by their feedback. Sellers could warn other sellers by leaving negative feedback about a buyer's activity on the buyer's profile. Now that's not possible. Only positive feedback can be left for a buyer. And if you try leaving a negative comment for a positive feedback ebay will remove it if the buyer requests it. This cultivates the perfect place for fraudsters to reoffend while being cloaked by eBay's policies

Last edited:
I had to insist they re-open the case three times and eventually they back-tracked and found in my favour.
That's probably because eBay and PayPal are very automated, and your first attempts were only ever read by bots rather than by human beings. By persisting, you can eventually get a (hopefully sensible) human to actually try to understand the issues involved.

I've been conned by ebay when selling a camera, guy bought it, met him in person, he said I never sent it a week later. I had no proof we met or postage as I hadn't posted it. Lost camera and money, double whammy.
I assume he paid using PayPal? In which case (as you unfortunately found out) you HAVE to provide tracking information. It's easy to be wise after the event, but you should NEVER accept PayPal when the item is collected, handed over in person, or where the buyer has arranged the courier. (Just to be pedantic here, you lost the camera or you lost the money - you didn't lose both :)).

Lots of people use eBay simply because they know they can get away with fraud
And unfortunately those scammers understand exactly how both eBay and PayPal work. They are the ones who will try to pay with PayPal for a collected item, or will raise a SNAD dispute 179 days after the transaction, in the hope that the seller won't notice/won't respond in time/will have thrown away or deleted any relevant documentation.

That's probably because eBay and PayPal are very automated, and your first attempts were only ever read by bots rather than by human beings. By persisting, you can eventually get a (hopefully sensible) human to actually try to understand the issues involved.

I spoke with a person on two of those occasions :)

I lost both. I had to refund the money and as I had no proof that he got only my word against his, the scumbag denied he ever got it.
No - you had a camera to begin with. At the end of the transaction, you did not have your camera, so "all" you lost was the camera.

Had it been an honest transaction, you would have ended up with the money, but with no camera. In no circumstances would you have ended up with both the camera and the money.

So you can look at it that you either lost the camera or you lost the money. You could not have lost both because you never would have had both.

Regardless of the semantics, I'm sure that it was a very unpleasant experience.

Yes I get you now. You're correct. Felt like I had lost more. Made me bloody angry.
No - you had a camera to begin with. At the end of the transaction, you did not have your camera, so "all" you lost was the camera.

Had it been an honest transaction, you would have ended up with the money, but with no camera. In no circumstances would you have ended up with both the camera and the money.

So you can look at it that you either lost the camera or you lost the money. You could not have lost both because you never would have had both.

Regardless of the semantics, I'm sure that it was a very unpleasant experience.

I had to go through a online fraud website with the police, once I had that number, no other evidence submitted (I did have the manager of the Royal Mail depot understand the situation that the buyer returned a £200 phone empty to the wrong address deliberately) and eBay refunded me that day.

Last week I sold an item for £5 and £3 delivery, got there and he wasn’t happy even though it is exactly as described, the marks were in the picture and it was £8 for crying out loud, anyway after arguing with him in the dispute resolution bit and him admitting the item was as described he just didn’t look he stopped answering. I gave up and offered him the item for free just pay for the postage which he accepted. I don’t use eBay very often now but even when I do it’s a problem

Bought a BBQ on ebay which was allegedly delivered to next door but had a card through my door saying back porch... Obviously it was never delivered next door but Yodel were adamant it was but wouldn't produce a signature for me or the seller.

Raised a case on ebay, ebay told me it had been delivered and sided with the seller! Even though the item wasn't there or next door! So not always the buyer wins cases

Bought a BBQ on ebay which was allegedly delivered to next door but had a card through my door saying back porch... Obviously it was never delivered next door but Yodel were adamant it was but wouldn't produce a signature for me or the seller.

Raised a case on ebay, ebay told me it had been delivered and sided with the seller! Even though the item wasn't there or next door! So not always the buyer wins cases

Whatever happened to PoD which I always thought was there for the protection of both parties!

I remember the day's no so long ago, when ebay was a good place to buy and sell, and real bargains could be had too.
Now as mentioned, its becoming more and more a scammers paradise unfortunately.
I buy a few low value bits from there now and again, but I'd never buy ( or sell come to that) anything of any real value.

Back to the original theme, I've sold a couple or so bits to MPB over the years, and have always been very happy with the valuation and service.
One time at band camp ( :D) I even got a fair bit more paid in to my bank than they first quoted (y)

Yup, I sold to MPB at Christmas to cover bills, I was super critical of my kit, they valued it more when they received it so upped their offer.

Back