MPB fed up

My Royal Mail pick up office is really up with the times, if those times are the 1930s, they are open between 8:00 and 12:30 for missed delivery collections iirc.

You are lucky! 10am to 12 midday for us :(

Going back to DPD, I ironically have a parcel that is coming from them today. The email states that I can change it to a safe place or deliver it to a local shop, when I click the link I get neither of those options...but they have kindly given me the option of collecting it from their Bristol depot!

It sounds like DPD can be area specific if in are having problems with their deliveries. It seems strange they offer no other options than collect off depot. Are there any drop off shops in Bristol set up? I only have around 3-4 near Bedford /Milton Keynes.

I recently cant fault them, I had a parcel that I wasn't in to receive. I was in the Lake District on holiday, the sender utility warehouse knew this and I had an engineers visit planned for 9am the next day so I had to get it the day it was delivered. I got the email, redirected it whilst in the Lake District to a collection shop and collected it on my way home. If it had gone with any other courier it's likely I wouldn't have got it and missed the engineer to repair out internet that had been down for 3-4 weeks.

I too can't fault DPD round here, and Hermes too. Royal Mail are also good here as our posties have been delivering in the village for years! As for all of the others....... very hit and miss, and usually miss!

Going back to DPD, I ironically have a parcel that is coming from them today. The email states that I can change it to a safe place or deliver it to a local shop, when I click the link I get neither of those options...but they have kindly given me the option of collecting it from their Bristol depot!

I've used the "leave in a safe place" many times with DPD, they usually text me with a time (to the hour) that they are coming, I just follow the link in the text and choose the option. Round here DPD are the best by far.

Couldn't these companies just use an a to z like we did before tom tit satnavs.

A road where I worked was closed for six weeks whilst they strengthened a bridge yet cars still tried to go down it. When they stopped to ask for directions they all said my gps said it was ok, but what about the great big road closed signs?

The problem is the courier company's use these damned PDA's now which route the driver every time they clear a job it routes you to the next one being the lead driver for a HGV driving agency for 5 years I had the misfortune to be a courier driver for a day with 200+ deliveries to do in a day a good old fashioned a-z doesn't cut the mustard.
All this said it does still come down to the efforts of the individual at places I couldn't find I got off my a*** and asked unfortunately with the peanuts they pay courier drivers not many would share the same work ethic.......

Had a collection booked today, gave them my parent's address to collect from, not had anything from DPD to say when they were coming as they normally do. Turns out they tried to collect from my home address - MPB have obviously mixed them up but it was very clear in the email. Not the first time they've mixed addresses up either, you'd think with this fancy website there would be a way of entering this rather than having to put it in an email. So my dad's been waiting in all day for nothing, not happy at all.

Ive never had a dpd delivery missed but the last two, I received no text advising me of delivery, and yes they have my correct number. The last time I was just walking out the door with the dogs, thinking it safe to go. 5 mins later and I'd have missed him.
All in all I find most of the couriers ok. We used to sell ceramics on eBay and by far the best were, RM never in 4 years did they miss a delivery, with very few damaged we probably posted over 2000 parcels with them via the local PO and we had less than a handful of damaged ones. We tried Hermes a few times because of the low prices but it was always a toss up they would arrive in one piece. Amazon have missed a few times but that was before they started their own Logistics, it might have been city link before that and I think city link let me down with a delivery from fuji, it seemed the failed to pick up the cage from them, which included my Refurb X-E2 :(

Never had a problem with DPD, except once, when we first moved here. Our house is in a field down a bridleway, the two main roads that pass near us have no names, yet everybody finds us, oh, except Amazon Logistics, generally, they can't be bothered to deliver my Prime goods on time, when they do come, they have missed delivery stickers on them. I think they just pretend we are out rather than admit they can't find us!

there customer service is rubbish and did not care. It is only when they mess up that find how good they really are!!!!!!
Not true. The way you find out how good they really are is when you use them to send hundreds of parcels each week and you almost never need to contact their customer service people because nearly everything is delivered on time with no fuss.

DPD are light years ahead of all the other UK parcel carriers in this respect, with the exception of Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Always found DPD to be very good, Hermes are good here too, husband and wife team who are very reliable and helpful

Ooh, anecdotal evidence. Always far more powerful than statistics, don't you think?
Ha, it was OK when it left the distributors in Redruth, the Interlink driver signed for its condition as he actually inspected it (it was a ready assembled unit) then the DPD driver did the same upon picking it up in Leeds yet when i inspected it before signing for it, it was broken, dont actually need anymore evidence than that

Sorry, I thought we were talking about whether or not DPD are a good company generally.
I think youre being sarky here for no reason Stewart, i'll play along though.

In reply to youre quote above, ive had hundreds of parcels delivered to me through Interlink/DPD and can honestly say this is the only one ive had arrive damaged but ive wasted loads of time waiting for non arrivals

Are they a good company, i dont think so but i suspect no worse than anyone else either, having said that, i would never chose them myself to send goods by.

My "anecdotal evidence"does actually form part of a statistic as its logged into Interlink/DPD's system

Last edited:
I tend to use collect plus for most of my awkward sized parcels ,never had a problem with them so far ,but not entirely sure that any of these services don't play pass the parcel if there weak in that Particular area ,I find amazons delivery drivers a joke they deliver with a signature machine in hand shove the parcel at you and ask your name ,I might try Ivor biggun next time ,what's the point of having a signed for service if you don't sign

Not true. The way you find out how good they really are is when you use them to send hundreds of parcels each week and you almost never need to contact their customer service people because nearly everything is delivered on time with no fuss.

DPD are light years ahead of all the other UK parcel carriers in this respect, with the exception of Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Well maybe as your a company they will look after you better than an individual Stewart!!!!! It will be different story when they p you off. To take a day off work to wait in for collection and then told they did not collect because the driver did not have time is A VERY POOR EXCUSE!

DPD are by FAR the best major courier in the UK, in my experience. The 1 hour window notification alone is incredible, and they are always on time when delivering to me. Im sure unfortunate things happen from time to time, and that's just the way of life isnt it? Im sure if I continue to use DPD, or any business for years and years, something will go wrong for me. Actually I bought some meat from Tesco last week that was spoiled. Its funny how you always see these kinds of posts when something does go wrong, but virtually never to comment on when they do a good job.

Well maybe as your a company they will look after you better than an individual Stewart!!!!!
Nope. Doesn't work like that. And I'm sending parcels anyway, not receiving them. The parcels I'm sending are being received by people like you, and about 98% of them arrive on time.
To take a day off work to wait in for collection and then told they did not collect because the driver did not have time is A VERY POOR EXCUSE!
Absolutely. It's appalling.

But the real question is, does that sort of thing happen more often with DPD than with other carriers? And the answer is no.

Another BIG + for DPD. I work in a goods - in department, so I deal with ALL the couriers - Amazon (shocking!) UPS, Interlink, ParcelForce (who incidentally take 2nd place), APC, DHL etc....
DPD are absolutely spot on. The driver is a smashing chap, we're all on first name terms with him. Always on time, doesn't treat his deliveries like Rugby balls, and dare I say, he even CARES about his parcels and customers!!
In my opinion, DPD knock the spots off of everyone else. I would use them personally for my deliveries in a heartbeat.

Our company sends out over 10K parcels a week via DPD & Royal Mail, DPD are the better courier by far, yes we get misroutes but nowhere near what we used to get with UPS/Interlink etc.

For sending samples abroad DHL are 2nd to none.

For sending samples abroad DHL are 2nd to none.

Ordered some stuff from Norway on Monday at 10am, DHL man was at the door 9am Tuesday and even kindly put the parcel safely in our hallway and shut the door for my wife as she was holding our baby, very impressed!

A stark difference to Amazon Logistics who presumably have a few hundred drops to do per day so just launch the parcel at you or around the side of the house!

Overall, DPD are ok. and far better than amazon logistics (i HATE them). However i did have a run in where the driver kept knocking on the front door to the communal hallway and not the buzzers for any flats that are at eye level right next to him - surprisingly, no one answered. I fed back to DPD the first time but he did it again. Then it got returned to sender and they resent with parcelforce. I wont tar DPD as a whole as this bloke was obviously a moron. I prefer royal mail SD over any courier because the depot is 10mins from my house instead of a 45-1hr round trip for most of the others.

I'm inclined to go with Stewart on this one as he must have sent and received back more parcels than anyone else on here surely! I did have a delayed collection with DPD for a lens collection with them - their systems went down and i didnt get a notification, but dont recall any other issues. Luckily, i can get things delivered to work so this helps cut down issues with home delivery.

On a separate note, I emailed them via their site to get a valuation before xmas, called to get a valuation after xmas but was told I had to do so via the website. Tried again and almost two weeks later I've heard nothing!!

Back