MPB issues?

Edit My Images
No
Is anyone else having issues with @MPB?

I recently bought a D5300 & AF-S 18-105 lens. I've been getting soft results from the lens so they agreed to swap it for a different lens (35mm f1. 8) as I think I'll be happier with a prime lens. So far so good.

Arranged to have said lens collected from my work by dpd. Dpd picked it up on June 22nd & signed for it. However it then went missing. Numerous emails and phone calls to MPB to try and resolve it and I am still without a lens.

I'm getting incredibly frustrated but nowhere with them I've already missed out on taking my camera wild camping in the lakes with me last weekend and to Manchester for the last couple of days where I wanted to some street while I was there. Anyone else having problems too?

If they have insurance (which I assume they do with dpd) I don't get the hold up. It's like they don't actually give a !? #!

Maybe they don't and I know it's not the biggest purchase in the world but the service is terrible.

That is annoying and I feel for you, however it is 13 days and IIRC Royal Mail allow 45 days before declaring something 'lost'... maybe MPB have a similar 'rule'.
Why not send a PM to @mpb.com to ask what their procedures are?

You haven't told us what MPB have said in these
Numerous emails and phone calls
We are in the dark so can't comment.
What have DPD said?
So many questions, so few answers, but it's always easy to knock MPB.

That is annoying and I feel for you, however it is 13 days and IIRC Royal Mail allow 45 days before declaring something 'lost'... maybe MPB have a similar 'rule'.
Why not send a PM to @mpb.com to ask what their procedures are?

Royal mail allow 15 days before they consider an item lost and the lens was collected by DPD not royal Mail.

Just saying ;)

Sorry if I haven't been clear. Mpb have advised dpd are investigating, no specific timescales have been set like Royal mail have, however I was told originally that it would be sorted by Saturday 24th June, that came and went so then it was we'll try to get you a lens by the weekend of the 30th (as I was going away) that didn't happen either. Yesterday I phoned up to be they would chase up dpd. I've provided the signature of the driver who collected another item at the same time and signed for that too. Surely dpd must have trackers on their vans etc and are able to identify who was in the area & that combined with the signature must identify who picked it up!

Royal mail allow 15 days before they consider an item lost and the lens was collected by DPD not royal Mail.

Just saying ;)
I appreciate it was DPD not Royal Mail, maybe my info on Royal Mail's times were wrong ... just going from memory. :)

Sorry if I haven't been clear. Mpb have advised dpd are investigating, no specific timescales have been set like Royal mail have, however I was told originally that it would be sorted by Saturday 24th June, that came and went so then it was we'll try to get you a lens by the weekend of the 30th (as I was going away) that didn't happen either. Yesterday I phoned up to be they would chase up dpd. I've provided the signature of the driver who collected another item at the same time and signed for that too. Surely dpd must have trackers on their vans etc and are able to identify who was in the area & that combined with the signature must identify who picked it up!

DPD always (in my case anyway) send an email telling you when the item will be collected and giving the name of the driver. When the driver collects he/she will give you a signed receipt for each parcel and this shows the tracking number. Quite easy then to go on to the DPD website to track the item. Is there any tracking info at all for the missing item?

Last edited:
Last time I sent anything via DPD I got a mail telling me the item had been delivered.

To be honest you should not be out of pocket, lens wise or monitory

If they used DPD then it should be fully tracked and insured

MPB should have given you a new lens or refund immediately

I've used dpd numerous times and they've been excellent, but for whatever reason this time I got no emails texts etc and I think this is half the problem. Don't know if it's a problem with their system mpb system or whether ir wasn't booked properly, but one way or another I don't have a lens :(

Finally heard from mpb today they're sending out the lens tomorrow. Didn't seem at all bothered so will be the last time I use them.

They used to be very good but poor experiences recently, real shame.

Finally heard from mpb today they're sending out the lens tomorrow. Didn't seem at all bothered so will be the last time I use them.

They used to be very good but poor experiences recently, real shame.

What, they're sending the original lens or a replacement for the one that got "lost", or don't you know ?

Is anyone else having issues with @MPB?

I recently bought a D5300 & AF-S 18-105 lens. I've been getting soft results from the lens so they agreed to swap it for a different lens (35mm f1. 8) as I think I'll be happier with a prime lens. So far so good.

Arranged to have said lens collected from my work by dpd. Dpd picked it up on June 22nd & signed for it. However it then went missing. Numerous emails and phone calls to MPB to try and resolve it and I am still without a lens.

I'm getting incredibly frustrated but nowhere with them I've already missed out on taking my camera wild camping in the lakes with me last weekend and to Manchester for the last couple of days where I wanted to some street while I was there. Anyone else having problems too?

If they have insurance (which I assume they do with dpd) I don't get the hold up. It's like they don't actually give a !? #!

Maybe they don't and I know it's not the biggest purchase in the world but the service is terrible.

DPD were supposed to pick up a lens and camera today but did not show, did not get the expected email from DPD so don`t know if issue is with MPB or DPD.
Phoned MPB after 11 when I still had not heard from DPD- as email requests. 11:30: 1st time got cut off after listening to music for approx 5 mins, 12:00 2nd time given option to leave voice mail so left info. 16:00 3rd time actually spoke to someone, now being arranged for pick up tomorrow. MPB and DPD have now confirmed pick up tomorrow so will see.

DPD were supposed to pick up a lens and camera today but did not show, did not get the expected email from DPD so don`t know if issue is with MPB or DPD.
Phoned MPB after 11 when I still had not heard from DPD- as email requests. 11:30: 1st time got cut off after listening to music for approx 5 mins, 12:00 2nd time given option to leave voice mail so left info. 16:00 3rd time actually spoke to someone, now being arranged for pick up tomorrow. MPB and DPD have now confirmed pick up tomorrow so will see.
I was supposed to have alens collected yesterday by dpd, heard nothing from them at all yet..have sold with mpb before and never had any problem up until now.

Standards do seem to be slipping with them.

The last 2 times I have dealt with them I have had issues

Last edited:
Seems that they are going downhill fast. Wonder if they have had personnel changes?

Seems that they are going downhill fast. Wonder if they have had personnel changes?

Possibly, but I expect this is nothing more than bandwagoning by those who have had negative experiences, one leads to others coming out of the woodwork.

I've been keeping an eye on MPB for a Sony A7 body for the last few weeks. A couple of times a day I've been refreshing the Sony CSC page and it's quite surprising how quickly stock levels change. A lot of people are using them, stock coming in, stocking going out. Now, that is probably all very normal behaviour and it's their bread and butter so they should be able to cope. But, anyone who has worked in retail or a service industry where there is a supply chain will tell you that occasionally things go wrong, as in this case. Errors are made and often it's because a Human hasn't done something properly. In such circumstances there are processes to follow and SLA's to meet. That doesn't entirely fit with the customers agenda though. The customer thinks he/she is the only one experiencing an issue and therefore it must be MPB's top priority. The reality is it isn't their top priority and the person who is dealing with it is probably paid not much more than the minimum wage and they have to put up with your upset on top of that.

DPD lost the package or misplaced it. Sure, items are tracked, but again they are shifting huge quantities of goods. A ticket will no doubt have been raised and you'll be in a queue for it to be investigated and resolved. These things do take time.

In cases like this I think about Solicitors during a house sale. I've never met anyone who said their Solicitors were brilliant. Everyone says they were bloody useless and that is because everyone just assumes the Solicitors are sat there twiddling their thumbs waiting for your irate call about why they aren't doing anything. Of course reality is you are just one cog in the machine and so are they. Every minute they spend on you is a minute they charge you and they are on a conveyor belt of house sales and purchases. They'll deal with yours when it is appropriate for them to do so and so as not to waste your time or theirs.

BTW, I'm not an employee of DPD or MPB ;)

Possibly, but I expect this is nothing more than bandwagoning by those who have had negative experiences, one leads to others coming out of the woodwork

Not in my case it isn't

The two times I have had issues I have posted about them separately before this thread even came into existence

I have dealt with them a number of times without issue but as I have said standards do seem to be slipping, the last two times I have dealt with them I have had issues.

I have used them recently and I haven't noticed any slipping of standards.

I'm not sure how many transactions they have every day, quite a few I should imagine, theres bound to be some mistakes. I understand how frustrating that can be if its your order that goes wrong but theres more serious issues to worry about.

Well replacement lens arrived today on time, no idea what happened to the other one. For me two bad experiences is enough. Just glad I can get shooting again now!

I bought two lenses from them a while ago, and when I received the lenses one of them was the wrong lens. They didn't seem particularly bothered about the mistake when I phoned them. It turned out that they had sold the lens I wanted. I decided to keep the lens they had sent by mistake, and they reluctantly knocked 10 quid off the price and refunded me the difference.

I have had actually had a really good experience with them recently when dealing with a problem.

I initially bought a sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS from them and upon initial testing the OS was making a screeching/squeaking noise. I sent them a quick audio clip and they took it straight back. As im quite keen on the lens and it seems to be a rarer model i asked them to let me know when they had it back from sigma. This they did the morning before it went back on sale.

I again purchased the lens and while much diminished the issue still raised it heads intermittantly. in fact when the OS sounded abnormal the stabiliasion actually worked agaisnt me. Not something i blame MPB for, rather the sigma repair that had been completed. I was only able to discover the issue through extended deliberate testing and not what i would call feasible for every lens they get in.

Anyway, after the second purchase i had an e-mail from the same staff member i had dealt with asking if everything was ok. As i was away at the time i replied when i returned and was able to speak to the same staff member on the phone to give detailed info about the issue so that they can relay it to Sigma.

Also worth noting that upon request they dropped the price of the lens so that i could purchase a lens hood as it was missing.

I know others milage will vary , They are from my understanding about to launch in Germany, so perhaps some resources have been diverted there?

Well replacement lens arrived today on time, no idea what happened to the other one. For me two bad experiences is enough. Just glad I can get shooting again now!
Not sure but isn't that a good experience, things went wrong and now they have put it right.

I don't see why MPB are to blame for something missing in the post or why you think it was a bad experience, they did your swap, and quite speedy by the sounds of things.

I have used MPB a few time including selling a £1500 lens last week. I emailed them for a quote got an answer within an hour, I accepted as no one here wanted to buy it. It was picked up next day for free, email the day after to say arrived, payment the day after. Excellent service as it was when I bought from them recently as well.

regarding dad not turning up.
I had this twice when I used their automated service after receiving an offer for some gear, after it happened the first time ,the next time I had the automated reply to go ahead I clicked to book it for the following day pickup.however this time I rang MPB to
check with them if it was booked and it wasn't,so it seems to be an error with their computer system connected to DPD or the other way round, now I always ring to accept an offer.

I recently used them for purchasing a lens for my daughter, they were really helpful as she made a couple of wrong choices before she got what she wanted. Nothing was too much trouble and I couldn't fault their customer service, have had issues with DPD before though.

I've never had issues with MPB. I did buy a lens that refused to focus when I got it. They arranged for it to be returned and refunded my account, all within 2 days.

I have had problems with DPD though, they dropped a lens in front of me. I wouldn't mind so much if it had been an accident but it was just tossed onto the van through the side door and rolled back out onto the pavement.

I best not repeat what I said.

If anyone wants to buy me a Nikon F2.8 70-200 (with tripod collar/foot on it), and VRII would be nice, I am happy to be the guinea pig to receive it and test the service of MPB/DPD. Just sayin...

Just adding my two pence worth, I have dealt with MPB before and always found there service to be great.

I've had great experience with DPD but I suspect problems may be due to individual drivers (I guess they are "self employed"). However, I have great service from Royal Mail and all the courier services and I suspect it's due to the area I live in surrounded by North Yorkshire rather than chance!

I just thought I'd add my recent experience with MPB. Once I decided to part with my beloved 5D3 I contacted the usual suspects for quotes. MPB came back the highest, I have always been sceptical due to past experiences with mobile phones, i.e. You send the phone in and they chip the price. Anyway after eventually deciding to send it to MPB (they held the quote for 3 weeks) off it went. The following day I received confirmation that it had been received and would be inspected within 3 days. Later the same day they confirmed everything was ok and the following day the money was in my bank. 2 days from collection to payment, excellent service, I even got more than what others had sold for in the classifieds.

I've bought one camera and, seperately, one lens from MPB. I've also sold various items to them.

All transactions proceeded smoothly so, in general terms, I'd recommend them. On the other hand, the latest of these transactions took place three years ago; companies change staff and systems so it's possible they're no longer as efficient and committed as they were when I dealt with them.

Never had any issues with MPB. I've bought used and new gear from them and also done a couple of part-ex deals. DPD seems to be the culprit here.

I had a good experience selling a camera body to them several months ago, they quoted, and I sent it off.
Once received and tested they stuck to their valuation which I was happy with (y)

So much so, they have a lens of mine, ( I received the confirmation email today) that they quoted for, just waiting for them to check it.
Honesty as always is the best policy when selling.
But it does sound from a couple of these threads, that sellers are not always honest and perhaps MPB aren't as thorough with their checks as they say they are?

dpd have always collected when they said they would too.
I guess that's down to the local operator ( franchisee? ) though .

Never used MBP, but do very much agree with Cobra about DPD- consistently excellent I M E(xperience). Take a bow, Carlisle depot(y)

Back