MPB issues?

Sent my equipment to MPB yesterday via DPD collection at 11am. They checked over the goods and have dispatched my purchases this afternoon, which I'll receive tomorrow.

Excellent service, in my opinion, once again. 10/10 (y)

Actually that reminds me, I must email them.

(Received 10am 1st of the month.)

We are pleased to confirm that your equipment with reference xxxxxxx
has arrived with us and is now being scheduled for checking as soon as possible, which will happen within 3-4 working days.

You’ll receive a further email for confirmation once checking is complete!

why wasn't it in the ads ? ;)
It was for a week or so, no interest whatsoever...so off it went slightly less than advertised, but no P&P charges and no ( potential) Hassle :)

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing their standards slipping?

Within the last 2 months I’ve bought 2 high value items from them (actually i bought one of them twice) and both have had problems.

A sigma 120-300 that had a fubar OS system (worked in reverse if you can believe it). They took it back sent it in for repair apparently then sold it to me again with exactly the same issue. No idea what their testing process actually is, I sent in a detailed report of bodies testing and methodology to recreate. The second time the lens went back it was straight up on their site the same day so had obviously not been addressed.

The same thing has just happened with a Nikon 500mm F4 - mostly refuses to autofocus on a number of bodies (750, 500, 810) just makes a rapid clicking noise in the barrel, when it does focus its squeals like a pig. Returned yesterday and its already on the site.

Really not impressed by their quality control and the reselling of problem items instantly.

Within the last 2 months I’ve bought 2 high value items from them (actually i bought one of them twice) and both have had problems.

A sigma 120-300 that had a fubar OS system (worked in reverse if you can believe it). They took it back sent it in for repair apparently then sold it to me again with exactly the same issue. No idea what their testing process actually is, I sent in a detailed report of bodies testing and methodology to recreate. The second time the lens went back it was straight up on their site the same day so had obviously not been addressed.

The same thing has just happened with a Nikon 500mm F4 - mostly refuses to autofocus on a number of bodies (750, 500, 810) just makes a rapid clicking noise in the barrel, when it does focus its squeals like a pig. Returned yesterday and its already on the site.

Really not impressed by their quality control and the reselling of problem items instantly.

This one?
Please note the motor on this lens is noisy when used in autofocus mode, but this doesn't effect functionality.

This one?

yup thats the one. i tested it on 3 bodies and it failed to autofocus the majority of the time. when it did actually focus it was loud and screechy but that was perhaps 1 in 10 attempts where it worked.

The search continues

Nope.

I ordered a 300mm 2.8 and D3S a few weeks back and the D3S had a strange line in the middle of the sensor. Returned it and they replaced it straightaway for me.

I did check a couple of times to see if it was back on their site but it didn't appear to be.

Only positive things to say here, although I've never bought, only sold.
I sold one body, for a price I was happy with,
and later on a lens that was quoted, as I thought, a bit on the low side, but it was only gathering dust, so I thought what the hell and sent it for appraisal.
When the money hit my bank account it was a few quid higher than the quote,
a price I was more than happy with (y)

Bought a 6D from them about 3 months ago.

All perfect apart from was missing the AV cable.

As I'll never use it I never bothered moaning about it.

Only positive things to say here, although I've never bought, only sold.
I sold one body, for a price I was happy with,
and later on a lens that was quoted, as I thought, a bit on the low side, but it was only gathering dust, so I thought what the hell and sent it for appraisal.
When the money hit my bank account it was a few quid higher than the quote,
a price I was more than happy with (y)

Same for me when I sold a lens to them a couple of months back

Same for me when I sold a lens to them a couple of months back
Thats 3 of us in the same thread (y)
TBH I never thought that they would, the camera body quote was spot on.. I happy with that one,
And even happier with the lens bonus (y)

I recently traded in some equipment and brought a used camera and lens, lens was fine camera had a duff battery and a clip broken inside the battery compartment, one email to them and two batteries sent out in the post next day as a replacement and a refund of £25 for the broken clip.

Happy with the service I received.

Last edited:
I recently traded in some equipment and brought a new camera and lens, lens was fine camera had a duff battery and a clip broken inside the battery compartment, one email to them and two batteries sent out in the post next day as a replacement and a refund of £25 for the broken clip.

Happy with the service I received.
You bought a NEW camera and lens, and the camera was as you said ...?

I had issues the last few times I have dealt with them, however upon contacting them the issues were quickly resolved to my satisfaction.

I had issues the last few times I have dealt with them, however upon contacting them the issues were quickly resolved to my satisfaction.

Did you get your focus issue sorted out in the end Keith ?

I've only dealt with them once so far, selling a few things and the service was good but I did have to chase them up for checking/payment a couple of times. It took just under 2 weeks from collection to get the money in my account (this included the bank holiday Monday).

I would sell again, providing I wasn't in a rush for the money!

I tried selling them an immaculate lens, they received it and agreed price, then for some reason said it had moisture in the lens and returned it after a week, there was no moisture but the hoya filter I sent it with was missing and there was a dent on the filter thread and some damage, so I questioned the moisture and one email came back asking why I was asking them about moisture when they had bought the lens, then another said they would replace my lost filter for a Hoya Pro1, obviously they had dropped my lens and broken the filter, I did however send it to another shop and they bought the lens for the same amount MPB offered, I wont be making that mistake of using MPB again.

Edit. by the way the person I was in correspondence with knew nothing about any moisture problem, and thought they had purchased the lens.

Last edited:
It's taken me a week to get a price out of them for a trade - and that's only after I contacted them to rush them up. They don't seem to be very quick on responding to emails either!
Did make me laugh though they offered me £605 for a lens then downgraded it to 'well used' and £405 as the rubber grip needed replacing. So I'm popping on a new £20 grip and sending it back!

Back