weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1 : Direction
Week 2 : Fear
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 : Sweet
Week 5 : Secure
Week 6 : Industry
Week 7 : Root
Week 8 : Handmade
Week 9 : Money
Week 10 : Win
Week 11 : Shiny
Week 12 : Magical
Week 13 : Vice
Week 14 : Entrance
Week 15 : Soft
Week 16 : Pride
Week 17 : Short
Week 18 : Flight
Week 19 : Authority
Week 20 : Leave
Week 21 : Random
Week 22 : Temperature
Week 23 : Abstract
Week 24 : Symmetry
Week 25 : Moody
Week 26 : Joy
Week 27 : Small
Week 28 : Straight
Week 29 : Letter
Week 30 : Contrast
Week 31 : Mineral
Week 32 : Dark
Week 33 : Time
Week 34 : Body
Week 35 : Liquid
Week 36 : Up
Week 37 : Duo
Week 38 : Flow
Week 39 : Friendship
Week 40 : Change
Week 41 : Natural
Week 42 : Age
Week 43 : Spread
Week 44 : Together
Week 45 : Pack
Week 46 : Art
Week 47 : Colour
Week 48 : Shadow
Week 49 : Glow
Week 50 : Round
Week 51 : Negative
Week 52 : Busy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MY RULES
I am allowing myself 4 Jokers.
I have FOUR Jokers unused.

For Reeshoots:-
I plan to RESHOOT a theme OR shoot the new theme

New photos will be taken each week specifically for the theme and only 1 photo will be selected as the shot for the week as this forces me to get out there take photos and pick the image I like best.Where possible I will share what I have learned that week and how I might approach it differently next time.
New rule. As long as I have genuinely 'got out there' and tried, then from time to time I can use an existing photo to meet a week's theme.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello all, I'm new here.
This seems like a great idea.
In 2010 just for myself, I did a photo-a-day challenge.
That was too much , so...
In 2011 I modified it to 52 photos-in-the-year.

I think this is just what I need to get me out and about - a bit like my own challenges in the past - but with more structure, and hopefully some useful feedback.

Mike

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide which one of these two to pick...

IMG_3961.JPG

IMG_0963b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes welcome! And welcome to TP!! :D

And you'll always get useful and helpful feed back here! :D

Hi Michael...welcome aboard (y)

A great start to your project.....1#...takes top spot for me....nice use of DOF & a well spotted link to the theme :clap: Little bit of blown sky is a shame but don't know how to rectify that without losing some other detail :shrug:

The 2nd image is niggling me...overall I like it...the bike rider going in the wrong direction , the shaprness of the sign...just those blooming twigs in the way..the one's in focus I can live with,it's the oof one that's irritating :bonk:

Keep up the good start (y)

Peter, Amanda
Many thanks for commenting.
I prefer #1 also - but I have to admit I really lucked out.
I hadn't even read about the challenge when I took it!

Sequence of events is:
- 1st Jan AM = walk in countryside and take photo #1 (amongst others)
- 1st Jan PM = read about the 52 photo challenge
- 1st Jan Evening = decide to take the challenge
- 2nd Jan PM = Bike ride - looking for 'direction' photo opportunities
- 2nd Jan Evening = Submit pics #1 and #2. I was worried #1 might not be 'direction' enough.

Your right Mike, it can be very difficult to interpret a theme which is by and largely subjective.Dendrophobia (fear of trees) ? and your mono image is very good.

I guess you are trying to portray fear of 'sharps' - stick with it it's not called the 52 Challenge for nothing :)

Your right Mike, it can be very difficult to interpret a theme which is by and largely subjective.Dendrophobia (fear of trees) ? and your mono image is very good.

I guess you are trying to portray fear of 'sharps' - stick with it it's not called the 52 Challenge for nothing :)

Yes the holly was supposed to be fear of sharps - but the trees image was supposed to be fear of Heights! Other friends thought it was supposed to be just a spooky scene.

Everybody does seem to have some kind of bad vibe about barbed wire though!

I like all of your shots for different reason, but think #1 meets the theme best.

Look forward to seeing more of your 52 as the weeks pass.

Hi Mike, liking your direction shot, the crop really looks good. As for fear, the barbed wire shot is number 1 for me, the lighting makes it quite moody, so well done. I like the perspective of the tree as well and it looks really good in black and white. Enjoy the rest of the project and I look forward to seing your pics! (y)

Like the barbed wire pic - friendly background but sinister dark problem before you get there!

Hi,

I've posted my post processing links on my 52 thread.

As for 500px, I post different sizes on the website, but I think the name comes from the ideal size images should be posted on the web to avoid theft?

How do you feel about the new theme? I'm completely lost! Mandy

This weeks theme is a hard one and good for you for being the first one that I have seen, what makes you sigh for me personnally does'nt represents the meaning of he word, but you will find others have different opinions. Well done Mike for being the first

I would say so. I was thinking of something along these lines as in something that makes me sigh every time I see it.
Anything other than pics of people sighing, animals or dictionaries tbh!

Hi Mike

#1 Direction- Good use of b&w makes the direction of the scroll stand out. Sky a bit blown I think but good focus on the main subject.

#2 - Fear - even though there are lots of different posts on this subject it still seems hard to capture. What i am going to concentrate on is the scenario that someone goes to a gallery, sees a pic with the one word underneath and can intepet the fear trying to be attained by the togger themselves. Using this criterion, I think that your barbed wire shot is good and on topic but i would prefer the tree shot - good technique. pov., use of b&w

#3 Sigh - Understandable reaction but I don't think it works for the viewer - also the shot really does nothing for me and is not in the same league as your others. Hope not too harsh.

So this is not a photograph of a sigh but of something that makes me sigh. Does that count?
Personally, I think it's up to each and everyone of us to decide how we want to interpret the theme. As long as there is some thought behind it, I don't think anyone can say you are wrong. Yes, it's possible not everyone will 'get' what you are trying to say with the photo, but we are all different and looking at the very same photograph, we won't all see the same thing. For me, this Photo52 challenge is more about being creative, the thought process and then the execution of my ideas, rather than always being bang on theme.

Direction : I like the curl and the texture... very nice.. mono suits perfectly

Fear : I get the fear here, the feel, despite nearly blocking out the barb wire, I think actually enahances the idea. nice interpretation

Sigh : Whilst the image doesn't say "sigh" to me, I do know how you feel, and it makes sense to me on that front. It's your 52, the rules are yours, and you are open to interpret the theme in anyway you feel is appropriate. For the image itself, it feels a little cluttered to me (I know it's in the woods), but perhaps getting in a bit close to the word, making it more prominent and leaving in some of the background for context might work better. Try giving it a bit of a crop and see what you think...

Hi Mike

Direction - liking both but the cropped version of the scroll does it for me

Fear - a hard one but for me it has to be the tree. great POV and pp. a sleepy hollow feel!

Sigh - i think we are going to get a lot of personal "sigh" photos. a hard theme, as said before not screaming sigh to the viewer but i like your take on it.

good luck for the next 49 weeks (y)

wardie

After a hard week travelling around India - I gave a massive sigh when this beer arrived. In a decent hotel (at last) for the weekend. Maybe not the best of photos technically and without photoshop on my work laptop not much chance for tweaking. But this photo really does mean 'sigh' to me right now!

Ha ha, I could do with one of those!
Slightly missed the complete reflections but a good effort (y)

Back