Multiple images of one person in photo

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

How do I process multiple images of a person in a single photo i.e. me sitting on the sofa, me standing behid the sofa ect so they all appear in one image? I can't even think of the term to do a search. :bang:

Many thanks

Hello all,

How do I process multiple images of a person in a single photo i.e. me sitting on the sofa, me standing behid the sofa ect so they all appear in one image? I can't even think of the term to do a search. :bang:

Many thanks

1 Put your camera on a tripod.
2 Frame the shot.
3 Set the timer (or use a radio remote)
4 Let the camera take a shot
5 go back to number 3

Continue to do this until you have all the images you want.

THEN

1 Load all the images into your PP program like Photoshop as seperate layers.
2 Use the eraser and delete the background on layers 2 onward so that you can see the person in the layer below.

That way you get to see the person on every layer. The rest of the room/scene SHOULD stay the same due to the tripod.

Cheers Darren. The problem I struggle with is the processing bit. I have done the pictures using the tripod etc, but merging them in Elements gets me!

Simplest thing is to overly the images (on separate layers) in one docuemnt and then just erase everything bar you in the layer - repeat on all other layers apart from the last one (so you can keep the edges of the photo) and you will end up with the shot you want (there or there abouts)

Cheers Darren. The problem I struggle with is the processing bit. I have done the pictures using the tripod etc, but merging them in Elements gets me!

OK...

1 - Load each image into a separate layer?

2 - Once you have done that set the transparency of each layer to 35% so you should just about see each person in their threads.

3 - Pick the TOP visible layer and select ERASER then delete all around the top layer EXCEPT the person in it.

4 - IF you are looking at the 2nd layer then goto step 7

5 - HIDE THAT LAYER

6 - Right now go back to step 3

7 - Right now show EVERY layer and reset the transparency to 100%

Thats it all the layers should be visible with all the people visible. You do not need to be accurate cutting out the people unless they are interacting because the outline of each person should be the same as the background.

Cheers Darren..have given it a quick go (as below). Still have some practice to do though. If only I had two of my wife:naughty:

Cheers Darren..have given it a quick go (as below). Still have some practice to do though. If only I had two of my wife:naughty:

There you are then, nothing wrong with that is there (y)

You are now an expert, nothing to it.

There you are then, nothing wrong with that is there (y)

You are now an expert, nothing to it.

Thanks Darren..easy enough once you know. Thanks for the advice:D

Thanks Darren..easy enough once you know. Thanks for the advice:D

No problem at all, its what the forum is all about (y)

It looks really good when people interact with each other so try and get a picture of someone holding hands with themselves !

Good job (y)

With yours how did you get your wife to look younger as she was further up the stairs :shrug: :LOL:

My ickle experiment didn't go as well, although part if it was due to crap editing :D

finish.jpg

Good job (y)

With yours how did you get your wife to look younger as she was further up the stairs :shrug: :LOL:

My ickle experiment didn't go as well, although part if it was due to crap editing :D

Not a bad attempt but the legs have gone a bit :LOL:

use quick mask!!!!

To be honest you don't really need anything like that. Just follow the instructions above and use the eraser. With the transparency temporarily set to 35% you can manage it.

Hi Grayman - I first saw this subject in a photo mag a while ago and thought it was great fun. This was my first attempt:

project_Oli.jpg

I basically put the camera on the tripod and got my son to position himself in different parts of the garden, and then as everyone has already mentioned, layered the images in PhotoPaint and just 'erased' the unwanted areas... carefully.

I've done a few more since as I think this is a great fun but creative aspect of photography. Now go and play (y)

I have so many idea's to play with this, especially when I'm next down playing with nieces and nephews...

Nice examples! It certainly adds some different dimensions to try in togging..especially as I have had no drive of late

Very deep Tim..pity the standing image is too transparent. But still very deep nevertheless and still portrays the message.

ok dumb question, open the first image, then how do I open the other images as separate layers on that image?

Like the results and want to have a go..

ok dumb question, open the first image, then how do I open the other images as separate layers on that image?

Like the results and want to have a go..

Don't know if it is right Dave, but I opened the pictures, then chose one as a background. Then created a new layer. I then went to my next picture, chose 'Select all' from the drop down menu and went back to the the original layer, clicked on the new blank layer and pasted it in.

Probably the wrong way, but it worked for me.

To be honest you don't really need anything like that. Just follow the instructions above and use the eraser. With the transparency temporarily set to 35% you can manage it.

I still feel that masking is the way to go. Completely adjustable and undo-able.

yep that works thanks Graeme

yay! heres mine :)

jacks.jpg

definitely use the layer mask, i always use it for tonal adjustments and cut outs too its a blessing

Brilliant pics! Just need a camera now to have a go myself!

Exactly. As long as you keep the originals you can do whatever you like to them!

Using masks is unnecessarily complicating matters and the eraser is completely undoable as well using the history brush or undo. I use masks etc regularly but in this situations the eraser is fine. BUT if that is the way you want to do it then fine :D

You still have the original files so what does it matter, it works.

You make a mistake with the eraser, you have to go back and start again. If it's a tricky mask, that can be a lot of work.

With a layer mask, you get to quickly try stuff just to see if it works and get rid of it if it doesn't. Fast visual feedback is important when you're doing this kind of stuff.

I often find these type of photographs benefit if the person has a change of clothes between shots. Adds something to the photograph IMHO.

Back