music from ipod to mac

Huh? Once it's ripped it's on all devices apart from my mp3 player. And I don't always want the latest track to be available on my mp3 player anyway - it might be (in fact it normally is) a CD for a 10 year old girl. I will tend to put that on her phone via USB, but there's no way a 10 year old is getting a £400 phone so she can get the track on it 2 minutes earlier....

I'm happier to wait as the quality of the rip is better, not because I got to control it myself.

ok but do it in the list like i did, it's hard to tell all the steps when you write it out. Mine literally was step for step.

1. Open amazon
2. Find song you want to buy
3. Press purchase
4. enter password

ok so up to the point where you order your song is the same as the way I do, 4 steps. The difference is for me thats where it stops. I know have it on all my devices including mp3 player in the car

you have to then ....

5. put cd in the computer
6. open your xmbc program
7. Click rip
8. choose album cover (is that essential step or just an option)

What happens now, do you have to press sync? or does it just appear on your players - how many are there in your house? So potentially it's double the steps and you haven't yet got it on an mp3 player. To do this it's:

9. plug in mp3 player (or will that transfer wirelessly?)
10. Copy the song
11. Paste the song

right? so we're talking 11 steps vs 4, and you are telling me it's not more steps?

Last question - can you play the same album in perfect time in all the rooms in your house? Can you control this centrally via 1 remote and can you adjust the volume independantly for each room from this remote?

and if so ............ how much did that all cost?

Last question - can you play the same album in perfect time in all the rooms in your house?
Yes, I just turn the hifi up ;) :D It goes VERY loud and I wouldn't like to be a neighbour of mine though...

Can you control this centrally via 1 remote
Yes if I wanted to.

and can you adjust the volume independently for each room from this remote?
No, it would require opening/shutting of doors ;)

I have no idea why I'd want to do this though, but then I don't do background music....

I have no idea why I'd want to do this though, but then I don't do background music....

your argument when someone finds a flaw in your system is

"I don't want to do this" so it's ok that my solution doesn't offer it

and yet you can't see the irony in this. Most people don't want to do what you do, yet they are ignorant?

People don't want to buy a cd wait in the post rip it and have to plug in an mp3 player to get it into their car or on their device.

They want the quickest and simplest method. Thats why the technology is more successful commercially than your solution.

right? so we're talking 11 steps vs 4, and you are telling me it's not more steps?
I don't care if it's one step or 700, I can't buy a lossless file from the Apple store, so it doesn't interest me.

I update my mp3 player once every 3 or so months and will get updated with whatever mood I'm feeling at the time. Ease of getting data onto it doesn't bother me and I certainly wouldn't want everything I buy to get put on there.

We use our media centres daily - sometimes for many hours at a time. Ease of use of that interests me. Once something is ripped (and that includes programs I record off air), it appears across all media players instantaneously.

I don't care if it's one step or 700, I can't buy a lossless file from the Apple store, so it doesn't interest me.

do you see how your need is unique to you?

I couldn't care less about whether my file is lossless or not.

Why can you apply your reasoning to your own model as to why you choose it yet not understand that the rest of us are doing the same thing. The difference is that we are the majority and you are the minority. Why does that make us ignorant?

Yes, I just turn the hifi up ;) :D It goes VERY loud and I wouldn't like to be a neighbour of mine though...

Yes if I wanted to.

No, it would require opening/shutting of doors ;)

Who says it has to be background music?

I don't always stay in the same room, especially with kids. I can put music on and listen to it at a sensible volume regardless of which room I am in.

Your system has many limitations. Yes you are in control, but at what cost?

I have just had a similar experience, our webhost likes to do things himself as he knows better, the fully packaged dell offering is too limiting so he builds his own servers and monitors them in his way. This lead to 24 hours downtime of our 6 websites and his attitude was totally not bothered as that was the way he did things and he was happy. We are now moving to another host with the full dell setup (DRAC, open manage etc.) so that our server is properly setup and properly monitored.

I don't have time to be a hobbyist anymore, I just want things to work. The apple music system is the best without spending ££££ on sonus or similar.

your argument when someone finds a flaw in your system is

"I don't want to do this" so it's ok that my solution doesn't offer it
We seem to have got to a point where we're discussing beyond the original point, which is the iPod obfuscates its database. There are 1001 ways of designing a home entertainment system. I've chosen one, others would choose another. In the same way different houses appeal to different people (for example, I can't understand why anybody wants kitchen/diner or a third floor for one bedroom but they seem popular) there will be different tradeoffs in what we all buy.

and yet you can't see the irony in this. Most people don't want to do what you do, yet they are ignorant?
[PETER GRIFFIN]
EVERYONE is ignorant of many things Joe, even - dare I say it - you and I... <sits back with satisfied smile>
[/PETER GRIFFIN]
;)

People don't want to buy a cd wait in the post rip it and have to plug in an mp3 player to get it into their car or on their device.

They want the quickest and simplest method. Thats why the technology is more successful commercially than your solution.
Yup, sad but true. Convenience and perceived value over quality everywhere now unfortunately (and by quality, I'm referring to mp3 vs lossless in this specific case).

And people are quite happy paying for it and making certain corporations very rich....

do you see how your need is unique to you?

I couldn't care less about whether my file is lossless or not.
No, I know. I do, so I have a method that works for me. I also enjoy the whole process. So sue me....

Why can you apply your reasoning to your own model as to why you choose it yet not understand that the rest of us are doing the same thing. The difference is that we are the majority and you are the minority.
Careful I'll be calling the PC brigade and claiming equal rights.... ;)

Why does that make us ignorant?
Because people are buying things without fully understanding the limitations. Surely that's the definition of being ignorant, isn't it? This all started with "how do I get my music off my iPod"? The (or at least my) expectation when you buy an mp3 player is that it's easy to get things on and off the darned thing. 99% of the time it works for iPods, it's just the 1% of time that's difficult. That and the fact I have to jump through hoops to get iTunes to work with other things means it doesn't interest me. That's all...

BTW, not sure who's trolling who here ;) :D

Who says it has to be background music?
If you liked the music I liked, you'd be lucky to get away with it as background music....

I don't always stay in the same room, especially with kids. I can put music on and listen to it at a sensible volume regardless of which room I am in.
As I said, we don't listen to much music, so the ability to do this doesn't appeal to us.

Your system has many limitations. Yes you are in control, but at what cost?
Many limitations? For what? They may not suit you, but we (who are the people it's built for) don't see any limitations.

Building and maintaining my home network is part hobby too. And I totally don't like downtime - the response if the server is offline for anything more than minutes is sheer exasperation from it's users. It's why I have rebuilt the server with an enterprise filesystem so hardware failure aside, we should be quite stable now...

I don't have time to be a hobbyist anymore, I just want things to work. The apple music system is the best without spending ££££ on sonus or similar.
My hobby is getting technology to work. I spend more time doing that than photography TBH, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

i cant even remember what the original point was.. oh yeah getting music back off an ipod
Was that 'cos I reminded you in the post above yours ;) :D

well, i think this has been a useful conversation if nothing to show that one mans apple is another mans tomato!

that's my new saying. I'd like to stake claim to it.

well, i think this has been a useful conversation if nothing to show that one mans apple is another mans tomato!

that's my new saying. I'd like to stake claim to it.
In which case, I'll lay claim to one mans tomato is another mans apple :exit:

Anyone for a :beer:?

Anyone remember Apricot computers?

lol

Back