music from ipod to mac

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
a friend needs to get his music off his ipod onto his mac, he lost his music.

Anyone know of a good app that does it?

ive used copypod before, only done it on windows though..

otherwise there is "Xilisoft iPod Rip for Mac", never used it but google says good things. not free though but a small price to pay?

If it is all paid for can't he re-download it from itunes?

I'm assuming plugging in his ipod and dragging the content from the ipod to his mac music library doesn't do what you'd expect or the mac tries to wipe the ipod?

its not all purchased and you cant do that with an ipod, it doesnt show up as a drive.

ive used copypod before, only done it on windows though..

otherwise there is "Xilisoft iPod Rip for Mac", never used it but google says good things. not free though but a small price to pay?

copypod, ok

i'll see if he has access to a pc

The content of the ipod should show up in itunes though? I meant drag and drop via that not via finder.

its an anti piracy thing, they wouldnt want you copying your entire library from your machine back to another computer now would they
No, no... A USB stick would be far easier ;)

It is this over zealousness which causes me to hate iPods with a passion.

No, no... A USB stick would be far easier ;)

It is this over zealousness which causes me to hate iPods with a passion.

it's most likely not an apple thing when it comes to ipods and drm though. Whilst they are generally quite zealous - I think in this case it is the record studios who license the music on the itunes store that require this amount of DRM.

And yes, i know there are other mp3 players that don't have it - but those companies don't also own the software that allows you to purchase the music so they aren't under the same cosh.

the fact is -ipods and itunes have the largest market of mp3 downloads and so they most likely have to live under the most stringent conditions.

Last edited:
I've read you can plug the iPod in in USB mode, copy the music to a temp folder and then import the music into iTunes after you have ticked the rearrange music box.

I'm not sure if there are any extra steps involved

it's most likely not an apple thing when it comes to ipods and drm though. Whilst they are generally quite zealous - I think in this case it is the record studios who license the music on the itunes store that require this amount of DRM.
Really? This is the quote on this page: http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-on/

Apple said:
You’ll find millions of high-quality, DRM-free songs on the iTunes Store all for just 69¢, 99¢, or $1.29.

Getting at the music in iTunes is not difficult at all and claiming it's a DRM method is pure hogwash. It's just Apple have implemented a system which makes assumptions about what software and hardware you're going to use and how you're going to use it. I think they've done a particularly bad job with the iPod which is why I'll never have one.

I think they've done a particularly bad job with the iPod which is why I'll never have one.

and yet the majority of the mp3 player owning world disagree, well horses for courses I suppose (y)

and yet the majority of the mp3 player owning world disagree, well horses for courses I suppose (y)
Yup, 99% of the population are suckers for a good sales pitch ;) and in reality the iPod is now just a store front for Apple to make money on downloads (in fact, I think that's the reason it uses proprietary formats - it is easier to buy from Apple than elsewhere and people are lazy).

I own an iPod classic with 100Gb of music.

There are 3 reasons I own one...

1. I can control the ipod from my car stereo
2. I can drop my ipod into a dock in my house
3. I have 100Gb of music stored on it, there is no other portable music player which can handle this amount of music.

I hate apple, but it is the best solution available on the market. I don't buy music from iTunes, I either download it from Amazon or rip it from CDs.

The airport expresses are great when you use them as wireless media players, I can control music from my phone and choose which rooms I want the music playing in.

All my music is in mp3 format in iTunes.

Dale_d3100 said:
I own an iPod classic with 100Gb of music.

There are 3 reasons I own one...

1. I can control the ipod from my car stereo
2. I can drop my ipod into a dock in my house
3. I have 100Gb of music stored on it, there is no other portable music player which can handle this amount of music.

I hate apple, but it is the best solution available on the market. I don't buy music from iTunes, I either download it from Amazon or rip it from CDs.

The airport expresses are great when you use them as wireless media players, I can control music from my phone and choose which rooms I want the music playing in.

All my music is in mp3 format in iTunes.

Nail. Head. Home sharing is pretty useful too, browse my entire 200gb iTunes Library on my iPad.

But now we've gone way off topic..

Yup, 99% of the population are suckers for a good sales pitch ;) and in reality the iPod is now just a store front for Apple to make money on downloads (in fact, I think that's the reason it uses proprietary formats - it is easier to buy from Apple than elsewhere and people are lazy).

This seems to always be your excuse, like you must be the only smart one out of all those MILLIONS of other people who just fall for the pitch.

Fact is you can argue that point about lots of products but not this. Not with the market share they have, people are not collectively stupid, in fact it's the opposite. If a huge majority of the market is invested in one technology it's because it's generally the best for their needs.

It's why windows occupies the huge majority of the business market- its the right product for their needs. Plenty of people can have differing opinions and like other things more.

But to suggest that 99% of the population are somehow inferior that they only buy the product cos of the sales pitch is frankly insulting.

With the iPod, apple just nailed it. It's as simple as that.

its an anti piracy thing, they wouldnt want you copying your entire library from your machine back to another computer now would they

But I think the OP was talking about copying it back to the original mac. I'm sure itunes could tell whether the mac in question was the same it was bought from or another.

I've read you can plug the iPod in in USB mode, copy the music to a temp folder and then import the music into iTunes after you have ticked the rearrange music box.

I'm not sure if there are any extra steps involved

How do you get th iPod into USB mode?

This seems to always be your excuse, like you must be the only smart one out of all those MILLIONS of other people who just fall for the pitch.
Actually, they don't understand what they're buying and only find out how non standard they are when they want to do exactly what the OP wants to do... He just wants his music back and the fact that Apple use a non-standard format (actually, it is a standard format, just that it's obscured via their library software) is what causes it. If it were anyone else, there'd be an outcry as to how silly this was and why didn't they use standard formats, but because it's Apple, it's OK....

Fact is you can argue that point about lots of products but not this. Not with the market share they have, people are not collectively stupid, in fact it's the opposite. If a huge majority of the market is invested in one technology it's because it's generally the best for their needs.
Not collectively stupid. Collectively ignorant (and no, I'm not saying everyone is ignorant - that would be stupid!). And please don't try and argue that an iPod is "best for their needs". I'd argue that it does the same as other units do but looks sexy. Oh, and everyone else has one so they must be good....

If people actually bought what was best for their needs, the market place would be far more fragmented.

With the iPod, apple just nailed it. It's as simple as that.
Yup. UI is great. I said that. I just like more control over my own data than Apple give you and won't buy one for that one simple reason.

Really :)

Archos is a 7" tablet so not easy to slip into a pocket and the others are an unknown brand I wouldn't trust.

There is no real alternative if you want the space.

Archos is a 7" tablet so not easy to slip into a pocket and the others are an unknown brand I wouldn't trust.
Cowon are a brand known for their better sounding analogue output stages compared to iPxds. Just do a bit of googling and become less... errm... ignorant ;) :D

I'm not saying it's better for you than your iPod, just refuting that players don't exists with that capacity....

I have owned iPads, Iphones, iPods.

Good products, but that doesn't mean that Apple don't inflict some excruciatingly annoying restrictions upon their users.

My iPod classic is basically dead now, battery has given up. Poor.

Syncing with iTunes is just a massive, massive pain in the arse. I just want to copy music onto my device, and have it work. I don't typically do this very often, and frequently when I do go to do it, I've changed PCs, or rebuilt a system. I have to have my iPad synced with iTunes on the OSX partition on my MBP because I do some iOS development, but I want it synced with my home server that has all my music....grrrr. I can't just copy the music on, I have to wipe the sodding thing and 're sync' with a new library which usually takes the best part of an hour.

The whole 'iTunes' experience is marvellous if you live in a perfect Apple world, using Apple products exactly the way the Apple gods decided you should. If you want to do things any other way, life quickly becomes very painful.

I really can't wait for Win8 across my phone/tablet/PC so I can dump iOS/OSX and use devices the way I want to!

Not collectively stupid. Collectively ignorant (and no, I'm not saying everyone is ignorant - that would be stupid!).

So to clarify, you are saying that because you personally don't agree with the solution the majority of the mp3 player owning world are ignorant?

Good products, but that doesn't mean that Apple don't inflict some excruciatingly annoying restrictions upon their users.

My iPod classic is basically dead now, battery has given up. Poor.

Syncing with iTunes is just a massive, massive pain in the arse. I just want to copy music onto my device, and have it work. I don't typically do this very often, and frequently when I do go to do it, I've changed PCs, or rebuilt a system. I have to have my iPad synced with iTunes on the OSX partition on my MBP because I do some iOS development, but I want it synced with my home server that has all my music....grrrr. I can't just copy the music on, I have to wipe the sodding thing and 're sync' with a new library which usually takes the best part of an hour.

The whole 'iTunes' experience is marvellous if you live in a perfect Apple world, using Apple products exactly the way the Apple gods decided you should. If you want to do things any other way, life quickly becomes very painful.
This is exactly how I feel (although put far more eloquently).

So to clarify, you are saying that because you personally don't agree with the solution the majority of the mp3 player owning world are ignorant?
No! It's not because I don't agree with the solution... (now where's that tongue firmly in cheek smiley) :D

oh great another vs apple thread.

i never got the whole anti-itunes vibe. its a very simple program. if you dont like it then use something like winamp with the ipod plugin. simples.

But I think the OP was talking about copying it back to the original mac. I'm sure itunes could tell whether the mac in question was the same it was bought from or another.

which im sure would be easy to fool.

I can't stand apple, but they have got the iPod, iTunes sync, Air play and docks right.

There is not other solution available that does the same. They got it right.

The downside is you are locked in, so while I hate apple it is the only sensible choice.

i never got the whole anti-itunes vibe. its a very simple program. if you dont like it then use something like winamp with the ipod plugin. simples.
The problem is with obfuscating the underlying data. I don't want to use Winamp - or any other software just to move data to/from the player. I simply want to use CTRL-C and CTRL-V when moving the music to my mp3 player.

The problem is with obfuscating the underlying data. I don't want to use Winamp - or any other software just to move data to/from the player. I simply want to use CTRL-C and CTRL-V when moving the music to my mp3 player.

im not going to try and convert you, youve obviously made your mind up.

i like itunes, its actually a pretty good library/catalogue and sharing across a LAN program. i was using DLNA and its blown that out the water.

here's the thing though.

We're happy to accept it's not the solution for you but instead of you realising that the majority of the mp3 player owning world doesn't want the things you want and thats why they choose that product you think it makes more sense that somehow everyone else has had the wool pulled over their eyes.

Thats the bit that baffles.

Why?

I plug my Ipod in to my laptop, I walk away and 5 minutes later all my new music, podcasts, my playlists, my listening habits are all syncronised automatically.

I don't have to find my new files or spend time copying files across manually.

Why?

I plug my Ipod in to my laptop, I walk away and 5 minutes later all my new music, podcasts, my playlists, my listening habits are all syncronised automatically.

I don't have to find my new files or spend time copying files across manually.

and if you have ios5 and an ipod touch you don't even need to plug it in now, it's wireless (y)

im not going to try and convert you, youve obviously made your mind up.

i like itunes, its actually a pretty good library/catalogue and sharing across a LAN program. i was using DLNA and its blown that out the water.
There's only one thing more than iTunes... and that's DLNA. Can't stand that either! (see, my early morning disdain for software that tries to be all things to all people isn't limited to Apple :D). I'm old skool - Windows shares work a treat with xbmc or foobar2000 and I can copy/paste the stuff to my mp3 player (or Archos in the case of ripped DVDs) very easily.

for the record the only thing i dont do with itunes is movies to my ipad.

they get transferred via wifi and FTP via "AVPlayerHD" app so i dont have to re-encode from MKV. DLNA just cant stream HD content to the ipad for some reason..

We're happy to accept it's not the solution for you but instead of you realising that the majority of the mp3 player owning world doesn't want the things you want and thats why they choose that product you think it makes more sense that somehow everyone else has had the wool pulled over their eyes.
No, you're assuming what I want is not what others want. They do (there are a few how do I do x with the iPod style threads here) just they don't realise they do when they buy the thing in the first place. I only dislike the iPod after my daughters having them and having to waste time recovering stuff when it's been plugged into the wrong computer and stuff has been erased.

Back