Music on websites?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I was just wondering what you all thought to having music on websites? I'm in two minds, sometimes it really bugs me when it just starts up, but I've also seen some slideshows that have been a lot more powerful because of the accompanying music.

Would love to know your views.

Personally? Hate it! the mute button can't be pressed quick enough.

More annoyingly is when I have multiple tabs open and it takes a while in another tab, I haven't a clue where it's coming from so I close all tabs and lose track of what I was doing.

It is very annoying. I have a tendancy to immediatley leave any website playing music.

Thanks for your replies.

I've previously thought the same and have never used it on mine yet, but was looking at some other respected pro sites in my field and lots of them have it. So I started to doubt myself.... must not let myself be swayed...!

It is very annoying. I have a tendancy to immediatley leave any website playing music.

Likewise. Unless I have gone looking for music I don't want it from a website and will immediately close the tab if it starts.

To carry on the trend, music on websites is so 1998 and will have me navigating away from the site and making a mental note never to give the site or the company any more of my time.

Music on websites: One of the things about the 90s that I DON'T miss... lol.

Quite often I'm listening to music in the background on grooveshark so it's really annoying to have something else suddenly clash with what i'm already listening to. It's basically a sign of really bad web design to have something make noise without the user deciding they want the audio!

Personally? Hate it! the mute button can't be pressed quick enough.

More annoyingly is when I have multiple tabs open and it takes a while in another tab, I haven't a clue where it's coming from so I close all tabs and lose track of what I was doing.

This has happened to me several times. I usually have between 50-100 tabs open and sometimes open pages in batches and it has sometimes taken me days to figure out where the music is coming from...

Can't stand music on website, usually close the page immediately.

Imagine your at work, sat just round from the boss, you've got a report to do by lunchtime, you quickly fire up a website and music starts blaring out.

That's it, you've got the eyes. He knows what you're up to, while you fondle with the big X in the top right corner in somewhat of a mild panic..

Most people find it invasive at the best of times.

Not only that, do you have the rights to the music? Unless it was composed by your mate, you probably don't. That's a few grand to pay, right there. Not really worth it, just to annoy people.

If you think it will genuinely improve the experience. Give the user a choice. For example, a big red button saying 'Get the full experience: view the slideshow with our beautiful music'.

And obviously, give them the option to view without.

Music on websites - No Way. If I come across a site that tried to play music it will be closed immediately.

Let your photos and text do the talking and don't annoy your visitors.

Absolutely NOT, fastest way of getting me to leave a website, oh and loads of meaningless flash.

It's ok as long as it's the Benny Hill music. Anything else is a no go...

So Northern Birds and London Underground by Amateur Transplants is a complete No No then?

Back