Daily MWHCVT(Matt's) Challenge 366 - 2012 - Now with added 5D3 Goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 7 - Trying to be different :naughty:

I know what your thinking, different! :thinking: you were at that windmill only a few days a go :LOL: well those that know me from last years challenge will know I cannot resist a long exposure and this evening the clouds were just about the best that I've seen since I've owned a ND110 :D so I had to go out and have a play with it's proximity to me I could think of no better place for me to go to that Chesterton Windmill...

7/366 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

and with this photo I managed to avoid a light trail in this challenge for an entire week :LOL: :coat: :exit:

I was out with fellow TPer Darrell (thedodo) and bumped in fellow TPer's Jason and Jason a.k.a jasonhb and Cheffievrs it was good to meet you gents (y) and look forward to seeing your photos :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Matt it was good to meet you to.

P.s, that church shot is not straight, the grave stones slant the same way as the church, so either everything there was built wonky, or perhaps the flag pole is not straight :LOL:

Jason

Matt it was good to meet you to.

P.s, that church shot is not straight, the grave stones slant the same way as the church, so either everything there was built wonky, or perhaps the flag pole is not straight :LOL:

Jason

Indeed it was good to meet you both two (y) almost a TP mini meet :LOL: :LOL:

As to the church it's as level as it's going to get :naughty: I suspect that some of the issue's come from lens distortion :thinking: because if you look at the flag pole and the door step both are level (y) :LOL:

Matt

Hiya Matt,

Indeed I am used to seeing similar scenes through your 365 last year, however each looked different as they do here. There is nothing wrong with frequenting a site, especially if it offers potential for different settings/ambiance.

I really love the colours of the sky and the composition of Day 7, my only slight critique is that I think the image would benefit from the foreground and windmill taking on more of a silhouette mainly because I find the speckled ground at the bottom and the path leading to the windmill a tad distracting. A bit of an increase in shadow slider may do the trick (but then again that is only my opinion).

Otherwise, I think this is one of the best shots of this landmark :clap:

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Matt,

Indeed I am used to seeing similar scenes through your 365 last year, however each looked different as they do here. There is nothing wrong with frequenting a site, especially if it offers potential for different settings/ambiance.

I really love the colours of the sky and the composition of Day 7, my only slight critique is that I think the image would benefit from the foreground and windmill taking on more of a silhouette mainly because I find the speckled ground at the bottom and the path leading to the windmill a tad distracting. A bit of an increase in shadow slider may do the trick (but then again that is only my opinion).

Otherwise, I think this is one of the best shots of this landmark :clap:

Cheers

It's funny that you should mention more shadow Dawn as I very nearly did that :bang: but at the last minute decided against it :bang: :bonk: I'm pleased you like it as it's also one of my favourites from the location :D

Matt

It's funny that you should mention more shadow Dawn as I very nearly did that :bang: but at the last minute decided against it :bang: :bonk: I'm pleased you like it as it's also one of my favourites from the location :D

Matt

That is exactly why we are here on TP ..... to get a second opinion, and as you say your intention was to add more shadow. It would be interesting to have a comparison to confirm our thoughts on same.

This would definitely look good printed and framed and adorning a wall.

Cheers

Indeed it was good to meet you both two (y) almost a TP mini meet :LOL: :LOL:

Yes like wise, mini meet... Haha

Jason

(y) I look forward to seeing your and that nikon :puke: users photos :coat:

That is exactly why we are here on TP ..... to get a second opinion, and as you say your intention was to add more shadow. It would be interesting to have a comparison to confirm our thoughts on same.

This would definitely look good printed and framed and adorning a wall.

Cheers

When I get a minute I will do an edit Dawn, just going through the other POTD threads at the moment having a catch up (y)

Matt

Really like day 7 Matt. I sold mt ND110 but really should buy another one. Used it to really good effect here.

(y)Well Matt, that's the first week done and dusted. you have set yourself a very high standard and i'm enjoying the fruits of your labour. Good job mate keep it up !

Really like day 7 Matt. I sold mt ND110 but really should buy another one. Used it to really good effect here.

Thanks I'm just sat in the motorway services having been out for nice long drive to meet up with fellow TPer Just Dave, we had a fantastic afternoon taking some of the best sunset's that I've ever seen, one of which will appear later as part of this challenge :D

Matt

Thanks I'm just sat in the motorway services having been out for nice long drive to meet up with fellow TPer Just Dave, we had a fantastic afternoon taking some of the best sunset's that I've ever seen, one of which will appear later as part of this challenge :D

Matt

Looking forward to seeing it ! (y)

Have you found that SD card yet ;)

Matt

Hi Matt fab to Meet you and Darrell and little Ray, had a fab time, and we were blessed with a stunning sunset shots, fish and chips were good as well warmed me up a treat, pleased you enjoyed the location (y) look forward to seeing yours and Darrells shots, see you again soon (y)

Last edited:
Number 7 is a gem Matt, nice one.

Makes me feel like I should upgrade from the pretty pointless ND8 I have! First I need a wide enough lens to make it useful!

Keep up the cracking work!

Looking forward to seeing it ! (y)

Have you found that SD card yet ;)

Just got home :D literally five minutes ago :D and have not seen any sign of it yet :shake: getting more annoyed I don't fancy replacing it currently

Hi Matt fab to Meet you and Darrell and little Ray, had a fab time, and we were blessed with a stunning sunset shots, fish and chips were good as well warmed me up a treat, pleased you enjoyed the location (y) look forward to seeing yours and Darrells shots, see you again soon (y)

It was great to meet you too indeed it was stunning and I look forward to seeing your efforts, that light was simply amazing

Love day 7 my fav so far :)

Thank's I'm rather pleased with it too :D

Number 7 is a gem Matt, nice one.

Makes me feel like I should upgrade from the pretty pointless ND8 I have! First I need a wide enough lens to make it useful!

Keep up the cracking work!

Thank you, I can totally recommend it (y) they are a great addition to anyone that loves landscape photography :D I'm pleased that you like the image :D

Matt

Day 8 - At the end of the Day..

..and what an end of the day we had, today along with Darrell (TheDodo) we travelled up the country to meet up with fellow TPer Dave (Just Dave) to take a few photo's we had plans to visit a couple of locations but those plans got changed by mother nature, all I can say is thank you mother as by sending us in the direction of the coast you've allowed me to see and capture the most amazing sunset that I've ever seen :D

We ended up in Lytham Saint Anne's to capture the sunset

8/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Once finished we then when for the quintessential British seaside supper of fish and chips on the front at Blackpool and very nice they were too (y)

Well worth the revisit Matt, lovely picture.

Thanks Michael :D I thought so too :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Just had i chance to look at "2011". Really nice set ^.^
Good luck for "2012"

Day 8 is unbelievable. One of your best shots I've seen on any challenge!
I also like Day 7.
Just wondered how easy you find using the ND110? Is it a lot of hassle screwing and unscrewing if you want to make minor changes to the shot? I'm looking to buy one and can't decide between that and a HiTech Pro square filter system!

Last edited:
Last one is a cracker. Well done for having a trip to the best end of the country to capture it.

Hiya Matt,

I am so upset now that I didn't get to meet you guys yesterday, that sunset looks absolutely amazing. Who would have guessed that the day would have turned out so well (it was terrible weather earlier in the day when I spoke to Dave).

I bet you are so glad now that you went to Lytham St Annes, I will definitely have to trek over there some time soon before the days start getting longer and the sunsets later.

As you said, this is one of the best sunsets you have ever seen ... I agree. You should definitely have this one printed.

Well done, and hope to see you soon.

Cheers

Day 8 is unbelievable. One of your best shots I've seen on any challenge!
I also like Day 7.
Just wondered how easy you find using the ND110? Is it a lot of hassle screwing and unscrewing if you want to make minor changes to the shot? I'm looking to buy one and can't decide between that and a HiTech Pro square filter system!

Thanks Ben, it was such an amazing sight to see (y) the ND110 is great it can be a little bit of a PITA when it comes to changing composition and focus the the results far out way the little annoyances

Last one is a cracker. Well done for having a trip to the best end of the country to capture it.

Thanks it was really worth the trip :D

Hiya Matt,

I am so upset now that I didn't get to meet you guys yesterday, that sunset looks absolutely amazing. Who would have guessed that the day would have turned out so well (it was terrible weather earlier in the day when I spoke to Dave).

I bet you are so glad now that you went to Lytham St Annes, I will definitely have to trek over there some time soon before the days start getting longer and the sunsets later.

As you said, this is one of the best sunsets you have ever seen ... I agree. You should definitely have this one printed.

Well done, and hope to see you soon.

Cheers

It was a real shame that you couldn't make it as the light was so utterly fantastic but who could have known when seeing what the weather was like in land :bang:

Fab! and good use of something in the foreground!

Thank you Beth :D it's a great location

Matt

Your dedication knows no limits Matt. Fantastic sunset it's going to look really great hanging on the wall

Your dedication knows no limits Matt. Fantastic sunset it's going to look really great hanging on the wall

Thanks Nick it should look really great (y) it was a wonderful evening :D

Matt

Fabulous Matt absolutely stunning :clap: great to meet you both, great company, pleased you loved the location, we had everything last night and the fish and chips rounded it off nicely

Fabulous Matt absolutely stunning :clap: great to meet you both, great company, pleased you loved the location, we had everything last night and the fish and chips rounded it off nicely

Thanks Dave, it was truly amazing and indeed great company and the fish and chips were a great way to end the day :D I've just book the car in for a new handbrake cable :D thankfully they only cost about £15 for the new part from what I can tell :bang: it's a shame we couldn't find any rock :( I did have to stop on the way back for half an hour to get some rest as it was a long old day on the road..

Let me know when yours are up (y)

Matt

Stunning sunset and very jealous about the fish & chips :D

Day 9 - The Golden Hour

Well back on home turf after yesterday's spectacular visit to Lancashire to meet up with Dave (Just Dave) I headed out to a Local Country Park to get a sunset image :D

Taken from the top of Burton Dassett hill's with the Beacon on the far right and Warwickshire stretching out like a giant carpet (y)

9/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

This is a triple bracketed HDR panorama made up of 3 separate frames so a total of 9 frames, then with adjustments made to lighting and tones to enhance the details and colours a little

To see a really big version of this photo click HERE
Caution this link will take you to a 8115x2757px version (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Excellent work as always Matt, especially that sunset on day 8. Thats a wall hanger for sure :)

Day 9 is amazing also and massive, I would imagine that would look mighty fine on canvas.

Day 9 is awesome in large, the foreground kinda balances the sky better. (though it does show the sky to be a little darker on the rhs)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back