My 1st Kingfisher - image added

Edit My Images
Yes
Well it has taken long enough, not that I had made any real effort, these were a case of right place right time,( 1/100sec f7.1 550mm hand held ) and a lot of luck with those settings. I had been photographing some Pike with an 85mm lens, and had just switched back to the big lens (hence the wacky settings), when the Kingfisher dropped in, I managed four shots before it flew away and luckily these two were OK.

132_081.jpg

132_080c.jpg

Just added this image from Sunday, it shows how difficult it can be to see these brightly coloured birds, let alone photograph them :D

133_061.jpg

Last edited:
:woot: congrats on the king mate cracking shots.

:razz: im still waiting to get one.

cheers j

cracking set I am dying to get my first kingfisher

Kaz, I have been trying (not too hard) for a couple of years to get one, so when I saw those on my lcd yesterday I was over the moon. So today I thought I will give 30 minutes in the hide, just before I go home, and guess what I got some more :D which need PP, needless to say I was a touch late getting home, these little devils are addictive.

Kaz, I have been trying (not too hard) for a couple of years to get one, so when I saw those on my lcd yesterday I was over the moon. So today I thought I will give 30 minutes in the hide, just before I go home, and guess what I got some more :D which need PP, needless to say I was a touch late getting home, these little devils are addictive.

You lucky devil you I am green with envy:crying: but good on ya

You lucky devil you I am green with envy:crying: but good on ya

I was watching the one today fishing, unfortunately there was too much deadwood and dead reeds between me and the water where he was diving in, see I now have a new challenge to get one entering the water, may have to pop up one evening and thin out some of the dead stuff.

Little tip Kaz, it;s that right hand window I mentioned before.

I was watching the one today fishing, unfortunately there was too much deadwood and dead reeds between me and the water where he was diving in, see I now have a new challenge to get one entering the water, may have to pop up one evening and thin out some of the dead stuff.

Little tip Kaz, it;s that right hand window I mentioned before.

I bet the day I go I will be there for hours and hours and he won t show:( but I live in hope I ll get one some day:)

Great shots, you must be proud of them. That is def one I got to get

I bet the day I go I will be there for hours and hours and he won t show:( but I live in hope I ll get one some day:)

For something as colourful, they can be really tricky to spot in amongst all the leaves and branches, the second one I saw today dropped a couple of branches to get closer to the water, and I had a right job finding him again.

Very nice, its a great feeling when you get your first shots. (y) :D

Well done on catching them. #2 is excellent (y)

Thanks for the comments folks, I note that most of you prefer image number 2, my favourite is the first, mainly because I was hand holding 4kg of kit with a shutter speed of 1/100s focusing through all that vegetation and still got a sharp image. :)

No 2 is excellent, especially given it was taken hand held at 550mm for 1/100th!

No 2 is excellent, especially given it was taken hand held at 550mm for 1/100th!

Luckily I had the VR turned on ;) which saved my bacon. Having said that with the lens and camera weighing 4kg I was amazed at the result even with it on.

Last edited:
Found them Martyn......fabulous,well done............:clap:

Lovely No 1 is my favourite, now you've found a good site you wont be able to keep away, one of my favourite birds. Lynda

Lovely No 1 is my favourite, now you've found a good site you wont be able to keep away, one of my favourite birds. Lynda

Glad you preferred the first image also, thought I was alone on that score, and whats that about keeping away...I was back out Sunday, and I called out this evening ... still dropping in Kaz ;)

great set of pic's number 2 for me does it.. but then again any shot of this bird would do it for me :)

I think that first one is amazing, personally. Keep coming back to this thread to look at it. It's got a wonderful springtime atmosphere about it. :clap:

Last edited:
OOH you are soo lucky, its one of the birds I would love to see let alone get a photo. Spent a lot of time trying to even see one without any luck.

Realspeed

you are on that slippery slope of trying to improve now Martyn :) its a long road, and you always say to yourself "its nice, but i can do better" or "now i want it impacting the water while fishing" or something similar :)

Nice set for a first one, looking forward to the next round now :)

i like no1 and 2 iam hoping to get some shots of these birds on sunday at rufford park at nottinghamshire

Lovely images Martyn, I like 2 but can understand why you like 1 (handheld at 100th\sec very impressive and the focus is spot on. Might be coming down to belvide next weekend (2nd I think), we`ll be at anglesey this weekend.

Lovely, well done for spotting him!

Thanks

Lovely images Martyn, I like 2 but can understand why you like 1 (handheld at 100th\sec very impressive and the focus is spot on. Might be coming down to belvide next weekend (2nd I think), we`ll be at anglesey this weekend.

2nd would be OK with me

i like no1 and 2 iam hoping to get some shots of these birds on sunday at rufford park at nottinghamshire

Best advice is learn their call and use your ears to find them

you are on that slippery slope of trying to improve now Martyn :) its a long road, and you always say to yourself "its nice, but i can do better" or "now i want it impacting the water while fishing" or something similar :)

Nice set for a first one, looking forward to the next round now :)

I already have some more...it is addictive ... and so true about the impacting the water shot, about 5mm from the surface would be good :D

great set of pic's number 2 for me does it.. but then again any shot of this bird would do it for me :)

Thanks, that was how I felt up until Saturday :D

I think that first one is amazing, personally. Keep coming back to this thread to look at it. It's got a wonderful springtime atmosphere about it. :clap:

That is really nice, thanks.

OOH you are soo lucky, its one of the birds I would love to see let alone get a photo. Spent a lot of time trying to even see one without any luck.

Realspeed

It took me a while, do not give up it will happen

Fantastic love number 2

Thanks

Beautiful images. I'm so jealous - they're on my 'hope to photograph' list...lol.

Back