Wild My 2023 Butterfly season (highlights)...an ongoing thread.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Well, this season was off to a bit of a "shaky" start!!! an all the wind an rain has not helped our UK Butterflies!
But things have been quite good lately, im up to 15 species for the season/year so far, an hope to be adding more species as the year unfolds.

Some of my highlight images then, cheers Paul. Images are generally not cropped, but if cropping was utilized, then i will mention it.

Male Brimstone on a Dandelion Head.
Brimstone Butterfly (male), on a Dandelion head. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Grizzled Skipper Butterfly, nectaring on a Buttercup.
Grizzled Skipper Butterfly, nectaring on a Buttercup. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Orange Tip Butterfly (male) nectaring on Cuckoo flower.
Orange Tip Butterfly nectaring (male). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Dingy Skipper Butterfly.
Dingy Skipper Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Cool. Lovely to see, I noticed there was an increase in numbers just last week.

Cool. Lovely to see, I noticed there was an increase in numbers just last week.
Thanks Dale.
Yes, numbers have been on the increase, but im still way behind here in Kent (compared to last year). This time last year i had already seen Common Blue, Small Blue, Adonis Blue, Small Heath, Brown Argus etc. The weekend looks good, so with a little luck, i may be able to add a few of those species?

These are superb , I probably don`t get that much diversity on my door step , but you got me thinking a little . I envy that Brimstone I never seem to see them land .

All really nice Paul, great to see such a good selection. I've seen 9 different species this year so far (Lancashire) but haven't had anywhere near as much opportunity to get out and about photographing them as I'd like

These are superb , I probably don`t get that much diversity on my door step , but you got me thinking a little . I envy that Brimstone I never seem to see them land .
Thanks for that, normally i have to chase Brimstones, because of how active they are! But this male, was intent on feeding/nectaring contantly, he was almost drunk on nectar?!!! Heres another shot of him inbetween/pausing, after feeding on Cowslip.

Brimstone Butterfly (male). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Beautiful set (y)
Thanks Gav.
That's a really nice start to the season
Cheers.
All really nice Paul, great to see such a good selection. I've seen 9 different species this year so far (Lancashire) but haven't had anywhere near as much opportunity to get out and about photographing them as I'd like
Thanks Si, hope you can get out more often in the coming months. Whilst your a fair way up North, you guys seem to be getting some decent sunshine up there, but yes, our Southern regions are normally very good this time of the year. This Sunday looks to be perfect, with plenty of sunshine/light winds...cloudy here right now, but i might venture out later, if the weather breaks.
Cheers Paul.

The first of the Brimstone on Dandelion is fabulous!
Thanks for that.

Several more images shot this last week or so, with some new species added for the season/year.
Cheers Paul. No images are cropped.

Female Brown Argus.
Brown Argus Butterfly (female). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Male Brown Argus.
Brown Argus Butterfly (male). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Female Common Blue.
Common Blue Butterfly (female). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Lovely series, you have set them up beautifully with those backgrounds!

Lovely series, you have set them up beautifully with those backgrounds!
Thanks for that.

Been a busy week! with adding another species for the year/season (Adonis Blue).
Some highlights, Cheers Paul.

Female Adonis Blue.
Female Adonis Blue Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Female Common Blue (blue type).
Female Common Blue Butterfly (blue type). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Probable pair of Brown Argus (female opened wing, male closed wing).
Brown Argus Butterflies. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Close up of a Grizzled Skipper.
Grizzled Skipper Butterfly, up close. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Beautiful work, love the 'open' feel to these (y)
Thanks Gav, another 2 butterfly sessions this Friday evening/Saturday (all day!!!)
Picked up a couple of Mosquito bites! an almost trod on a young female Adder(yes she struck at me!)...but its all worth the effort

Thanks for posting! Will look forward to seeing some more.
Thanks for that, ive always got a few more images on the go.
Cheers paul.

Several more images, an 2 more species for the year/season.

Green Hairstreak (this is probably one of my best GH images to date).
Green Hairstreak Butterfly, nectaring on Buttercup. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Female Adonis Blue (showing some nice amounts of blue colouration).

Pair of Brown Argus, roosting on tall grass.
Brown Argus Butterflies, roosting on tall grass. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

This image is cropped some.
Female Brown Argus.
Female Brown Argus Butterfly, up close. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Gav, another 2 butterfly sessions this Friday evening/Saturday (all day!!!)
Picked up a couple of Mosquito bites! an almost trod on a young female Adder(yes she struck at me!)...but its all worth the effort

Thanks for that, ive always got a few more images on the go.
Cheers paul.

Several more images, an 2 more species for the year/season.

Green Hairstreak (this is probably one of my best GH images to date).
Green Hairstreak Butterfly, nectaring on Buttercup. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Female Adonis Blue (showing some nice amounts of blue colouration).

Pair of Brown Argus, roosting on tall grass.
Brown Argus Butterflies, roosting on tall grass. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

This image is cropped some.
Female Brown Argus.
Female Brown Argus Butterfly, up close. by Tort Man, on Flickr
More beauties!

(y) I had the same few years back with an Adder, never been so glad to have been wearing high boots :LOL:

As always Paul you me olde mate are an inspiration so much to love but the GH image I adore that. Not yet even seen a hairstreak Paul

one day

More beauties!
Thanks for that.

(y) I had the same few years back with an Adder, never been so glad to have been wearing high boots :LOL:
Yeah, you have to watch the Adders mate, i was also wearing boots too.

As always Paul you me olde mate are an inspiration so much to love but the GH image I adore that. Not yet even seen a hairstreak Paul

one day
Cheers mate, appreciate what you said...have to wait till next April/May/June for those lovely GH's now, hope you get to see one.

Sorry for not replying to these comments sooner.
WOW, where did those 2 months plus go??? I confess to not being on this forum for months ...but i was still out, shooting plenty of different Butterfly species, as they emerged an were on the wing, before perishing for another year. Although some species have a 2nd brood, an a few species might go for a 3rd brood? Thats not counting our hibernating species, which will see out the Winter.

So, a good year/season so far, onwards with some more highlights.
Cheers Paul.

Marbled White (female).
Marbled White Butterfly (female). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Dark Green Fritillary (male).
Dark Green Fritillary Butterfly (male). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Chalk Hill Blue (male).
Male Chalk hill Blue Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Large Skipper (female).
Female Large Skipper Butterfly nectaring. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back