My 3 yr old Daughter

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Right then first post in this section never done any portraits if you can call them this so be gentle with me Critism is GRATEFULLY recieved

Dave

I think the lesson to take from these Dave is the importance of light and the roll it's played in both of your images.

In the first (I think) you've used on camera flash with a slow shutter speed, so the light has washed out her face and given tiny, uneven catchlights in her eyes. In contrast, the second is more evenly lit but it's a little flat and under exposed.

Other than light I don't think there's much of a story going on here either. The first had real potential but I'd have shot it much wider. The second is too posed for my taste but I know some people love it.

Here's a link to a photo I took of my son on Christmas morning which kind of shows what I'm talking about - the balance between good lighting and a story to support it.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/christmas-morning.643122/

Look forward to see thread #2! :)

The first is interesting, as Adam says it looks like a really slow shutter with the sharpness coming from flash. Is that what you intended? On-camera flash is usually a last resort for portraits.

The second nearly has eye contact but not quite. I think you might be better off going for one thing or the other.

Right then THANKS a lot for your comments the first pic was taken at approx 545 pm and yes I did use the on _camera flash as i simply don't posses any other....as yet.....Madam would not stand still....mmm whenever do they !!!......And I thought with the blurr of the brolly it was an interesting picture.....................The second was simply a grabbed shot taken without her even knowing as the camera rested on the kitchen table ...I was able to use the tilt screen on the 750d to get a focus...

I must confess I do not do portraits as I do really prefer motor sports and landscapes ...So all this is alien to me

Dave

Back