Beginner My beginners set up - thoughts?

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
Returning to the forum after I think around 8 years, great to see it is still going strong.

So my Wife has decided she wants to get into Photography and I have just picked her up a second hand Canon 60D

It comes with a Backpack, flash YN560 Speedlite, Shutter realase remote control.

Yongnuo 50mm F1.8 Large Aperture Auto Focus Prime Fixed Lens for Canon EOS EF UK.

What would a good walk around lens be for her? A canon 18-55mm?

Is there anything else that would be beneficial to get her up and running?

thanks

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I think I'd skip the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and instead go for a f2.8. Years ago when I had Canon DSLR's I had a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and I thought it was the best zoom I'd ever used, and too sharp for portraits. It was very cheap too. Sigma do a similar 18-50mm f2.8 and of course Canon do one too but the Canon is bigger and more expensive.

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
It all depends on the budget and what your wife is looking to shoot, ie landscape, portraiture or an all rounder lens. I agree with woof woof that a f2.8 would be a better choice if going for a mid zoom lens like 18-55 but only spend the extra if you are . The 24-105 may be a good all rounder lens for a beginner.
What is your wife's skill level and what is she excited to start photographing?

OP
OP
mtracerz
Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks for the speedy reply folks.

J.Stock I think it will be mainly landscape and action shots of the dogs to get her going, along with an all rounder until she finds her feet/interests.

I will go have a read up on the f2.8s as suggested. Appreciate your input.

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
For landscapes you will want a lens that can shoot wide angle. As a beginner the 18-55mm will be fine for learning, without spending loads.

For action shots of the dog you will want a fast shutter speed and that's where the f2.8 comes in. I would probably want to shoot longer than 55mm though but fine for learning. Don't forget the 50mm lens you have is a f1.8 so great for freezing that action.