My Cat in Mid Lick .....

Edit My Images
No
DSC00306.jpg

Just a quick one, i'm quite proud of it considering i am not very experienced in photography.

It's better than the dog's nose :)

Animal photos are nearly always better taken from the same level as the animal.

This shot would have looked slightly better without all the clutter in the background

Hi Rage,

Welcome to TPF.

I see you like taking pics of your pets.
While you dont need to own the best cameras and equipment in the world, you do actually need to put some thought into your pitures (composition) to get pleasing results, that people will want to look at.

As suggested above, getting down to the animal's level is often a very good idea, and also, if the subject is in less than ideal surroundings e.g. a cluttered background, its best to fill your frame with your subject.
You have a lot of distractions in your picture ... glare from the camera's flash, as well as clutter.
Aside from composition, the picture is also very dark, do you have any editing software?
You can buy Elements 5 quite cheaply, I hear. Or there is freeware such as Picasa, or GIMP(Google them).
This software will help you edit your pictures to make them lighter/darker/sharper/softer etc. as I have done here in with Photoshop.

DSC00306.jpg

Meanwhile I suggest you go practice taking pictures while thinking about your composition, i.e subject placement & backgrounds, etc.

Good luck.

would agree with InaGlo all animal shots look better if you can get down to their eye level, and try not to have any distractions in the background. You can tweak and trim in editing software. I noticed on your other shot of the dogs nose you are using a camera phone, these are a good place to start but are very limiting in what they can achieve in poor light and with tricky subjects. Its a good place to start and practice practice etc, but at some point you will find shortcomings and require at least a decent point and shoot camera, with some optical zoom. Carry on with the direction you are going though, and try to put into action the suggestions you get and you should notice some differences yourself.

Hope that helps :)

So the dogs nose was not meant as a wind-up then.:coat:

Do you mean designated for camera usage? If it was dedicated, it would be a camera surely :thinking:

"I cooked your meal today in the dishwasher!"
"...a dishwasher?"
"Yeah... it's a cooking-orientated dishwasher."

You can cook salmon in any dishwasher, but it's ultimately a dishwasher, will be best for washing dishes, and won't be much good for your Sunday roast, your Pot Noodle, your omelette, your chips or your chocolate cake. Just salmon.

I understand that the camera part is the main selling point of the phone. It doesn't mean that it's a good camera. With some thought, you can take reasonable photos of a very limited range of subjects.

Revel in your passion for snaps, get yourself a camera that you can't talk to people with, and use your photography ideas creatively and create a masterpiece :)

^^ The Sony Cybershot phones are marketed as phones for photographers, they have better imaging features than regular camera phones.

Which is a cybershot phone.

And the phone is very camera-orientated.

But it's still a phone. Being camera orientated does not make it a camera, it just allows Sony to use a different marketing angle!:bang:

Oh, I forgot to say - well-timed photo. Listen to everyone else's advice, particularly on composition - it's really good advice, and perhaps if you do you'll get a few nice shots with your camera.

But they're still primarily phones!

I know lol I was subtley pointing towards marketing.

I'm reading a lot of "get a camera" thrown towards rage, we don't know his/her age, circumstances etc... and all i'm seeing is someone who is very enthusiatic and joining in the forum.

Rage has a camera that is capable of taking photo's and a great tool for learning aspects of photography like composition for one.

A phone it may be, but it's also a camera
And with that in mind, as long as it records images the owner is happy with and the owner posts those images for comment within the stated rules We at TPf are happy for him to post them.

This section is for discussion of the image, not the equipment...:)

A phone it may be, but it's also a camera
And with that in mind, as long as it records images the owner is happy with and the owner posts those images for comment within the stated rules We at TPf are happy for him to post them.

This section is for discussion of the image, not the equipment...:)

Never said he/she shouldn't be happy with their pics or post them here, was just surprised to see them post that they had CS3 when they use a camera phone. I'm Semi Pro with 2 DSLRs and a Film SLR and only use Elements!

Someone's obviously got plenty of spare cash. :D

And camera phone photography is an art in it's own right with many people taking it up. Didn't the Times run a cameraphone photographer of the year competition. Anyway offtopic apologies :)

Isn't it possible to download a free trial of CS3 ?

I like Inaglo's edit, but must agree with the majority the OP image is just too crowded.

I'll swap you for my Sony Walkman phone :D it's not really an ipod but it holds enough songs for days listening.

Throw in one of those "Nokia mow the lawn and clean the car" phones and you've got yourself a deal! :p

You have both officially 'Killed It'

now shhh, the new thread is below this one.

Back