My DIY car rig

I will be using it on private land aswell. I'm not stupid enough to use it on a public road.

That's great (y), can't wait to see the results then.

The link posted by Dal is well worth a read, if you have not done so already.

Yeah right! So if you achieve 5mph (pushing), you would need a very slow shutter speed (several seconds) to achieve the desired blurred background and wheel movement, yes? So how would you stop camera shake, with a camera bouncing around on the end of a long pole then?

How about you try the idea before dismissing it?

Because pushing is EXACTLY how these shots are achieved. If you push the car with a slow shutter speed and a good rig there is no bouncing.

Well ive built a photo rig for cars ;) Rig of doom.

What sort of weight is the pole?
Might work a bit better if you let some of the metal out the other side as a counterweight. I know when I tired this type of then a counterweight helped with stability immensely.

^^^ it's around 8kg. I only wacked it on to see how it worked. I'll fine tune how the suction cups and everythings set up when it's light and dry. :) Cheers for the suggestion.

I love all the people dismissing it and saying it won't work without even looking into rigs that people use. It's no different to a lot of other rigs.

I'm not saying it wont work, and wish you luck getting the shots you're after, I just think that it seems like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut...?

Isn't it almost compulsory to have a knackered hi-vis jacket tied on the end of any scafolding pole?
Being serious for a minute you really do need to be carefull with that, it may well invalidate your insurance, and heaven help you if you hit anybody.
Personally I'll be very supprised if it doesn't bulge the roof or come off once it starts bouncing around.
I suspect plod will take a very dim view of this, not only are you breaching god knows how many trafic regulations, but your taking photos, making you a terrorist suspect as well. Wayne

Isn't it almost compulsory to have a knackered hi-vis jacket tied on the end of any scafolding pole?
Being serious for a minute you really do need to be carefull with that, it may well invalidate your insurance, and heaven help you if you hit anybody.
Personally I'll be very supprised if it doesn't bulge the roof or come off once it starts bouncing around.
I suspect plod will take a very dim view of this, not only are you breaching god knows how many trafic regulations, but your taking photos, making you a terrorist suspect as well. Wayne

Have you read the whole thread? It won't be used on the road, only on private land and only at walking pace so there won't be much if any bounce.

Haven't you read a single thing he has said?

Private land...he is entitled to do what he wants. Traffic laws do not apply.

He will be pushing the vehicle, so I find it very unlikely someone is going to stand in the way whilst it creeps ever closer at 3 or 4mph....

At this speed, I seriously doubt it will be 'bouncing' around either! I'm not saying it'll be perfectly still...that is what the experiment is about, but it's not going to look like a localised hurricane on the end of the pole!

Theres no mention in the OP of either walking pace or private land, although he does say it later, my post was ment tongue in cheek. To be honest he'd be better off PP the speed effect in my opinion, I wouldn't put my camera on that rig! Wayne

LOL at some of the replies to this thread. Its like the trying to explain evolution to some people, 'Its not possible, God created us!'. Anyway, yes it works, cant wait to see the results. Are you dean asin 'DPhotography'? V6 photos?

i did this a while back, read my thread there is alot of helpful stuff in there, well it might be helpful, might not, but worth a look i guess.

here is a link click me

Just checked the The link above and got to admit that this rig gives a great effect, also some very nice cars...fast hondas, 350z, evos etc. very nice(y)

cant wait to see the results - how nervous are you that you will see the camera fall off :)

A gyro is probably used in many cases too. But I wish you luck and look forward to seeing the results!
I've seen a lot of absolutely stunning shots where no gyro is used. I expect gyro use will be in the minority.

I reallllllly wouldnt trust those suction mounts. Made for glass not cars from the look of those.

I've seen a lot of absolutely stunning shots where no gyro is used. I expect gyro use will be in the minority.

True, I'm thinking more in terms of handheld actually. Still not %100 sure if your setup will be sturdy enough though? Maybe something to support the end of it would help.

Guess the proof is in the pudding, get some shots up (y)

I can't wait to see the shots. Seems incredible to me that someone is trying to achieve something with their photography and loads of people are being so dismissive without even bothering to read the thread. I say go for it. And even if it does fall off and break your camera? Well, it fell off a shelf at home didn't it.

Be careful with that rig bud :eek: If it comes off, you'll damage the car at least.

I'm not sure the Honda pic is taken with a rig fixed to that car, but if it is, then it's even longer than yours, further out to the side, and lower. Scary. Wider lens, too.

You could get a similar pic shooting car to car. I'm not sure which is less risky with that rig.

Edit: Trying to be a bit more helpful with what is a great technique, the suckers are not designed to support weight in the way you're applying it. A sand bag or something would help. You need to get the camera lower, and use a wider lens. A professional looking rig that won't do any damage helps get the cooperation of owners with nice cars!

I can't wait to see the shots. Seems incredible to me that someone is trying to achieve something with their photography and loads of people are being so dismissive without even bothering to read the thread. I say go for it. And even if it does fall off and break your camera? Well, it fell off a shelf at home didn't it.

Whilst I encourage DIY jobs, something being used on another object is not as simple as finding something which will do the same job for cheaper but looking at what it is designed for.

When building a rig, I would only go for certain suction cups. Cups which are designed for cars. I really wouldnt want to rig that to a Ferrari and then find it falls off halfway through or damaging the paint work.

i was never dismissive of the attempt to do this, good luck to th OP....
However, I DID feel that the methodolgy was, to say the least, a little Blue Peteresque...

You are a braver man than me...Good luck to you but I wouldn't like to be on the same road as you!

DB

Where are the results then? I want to see them :D

Whilst I encourage DIY jobs, something being used on another object is not as simple as finding something which will do the same job for cheaper but looking at what it is designed for.

When building a rig, I would only go for certain suction cups. Cups which are designed for cars. I really wouldnt want to rig that to a Ferrari and then find it falls off halfway through or damaging the paint work.

These are great to try out before spending out the money on some of the proper suction cups though I think.

It's like people getting the raynox filters before buying a true macro lens.

I really must build a rig at some point but I've done these suction cups and want to do a proper rig with the avenger style cups.

Get some pics up with the rig.

*EDIT*, some of the replies in this thread have really made me laugh, its like this rig is the end of the world.

Well if people want a go and dont mind donating their car, I forked out for a premade rig. I dont mind people trying it out (not for sale). Mixture of clamps, mounts and poles.

Rig after I purchased it
img1146mediumba2.jpg

One setup ver
img1293mediumpd6.jpg

Result after some PP
bmwm3smallda8.jpg

I agree with trying things out hence im not disclosing price. :LOL:

Good luck, I love to see people trying things out, even if it goes tits up.

I used a Cullman suction cup to fix my old Olympus OM1 to a bike petrol tank, it was still on at 100mph (private test track).

Photoshopping the rig out is probably going to be more stressful.

ps Let us know how a camera bounces and what it sounds like??? ;)

Teshi, that's a brilliant offer. I'm more than happy to donate my car to try that rig. I've never fully understood how to do the pp on those kind of rigs. Would be good to meet up and have a play with that.

I think the pp is done by removing one leg at a time and reshooting.

That's a nice setup Teshi. Where did you get it from?

The way I pp'ed that shot was removing one leg prior to motion and overlayed it after. Other two were straight clone. Need to add to the rig a bit so I can take a stationary shot without the rig.

The rig was via Fast Films - http://www.fastfilms.co.uk/camera-suction-mounts.php

Pro Mount SM8 Kit

Cheers - always nice to see what others have used. It's on my shopping list

i've been following this thread with some interest and have had my eyes opened to a new style of photography.

I had seen this style of photo before and had always thought it had been done with a 'chase' car.. great thread.

:cool:

As for the camera falling since the car is just behind pushed, if you have a spare body all you need is somebody walking alongside the car holding the strap in their hand, if it's about to fall just take the weight with the strap.

I have to say I'm amazed at the amount of people berating somebody for trying something, it's not like he's going to use it down the motorway to take shots or driving around town.

I've been quite interested in building one for ages but I don't overly enjoy shooting cars so I've never bothered.

Looked a wicked idea fella! good luck and make sure you got insurance :D

Awsome idea. I've been looking at similar cap clamp ideas but opted for a Manfrotto magic arm and already purchased the camera mount. Its possible to purcase a specific car mounting suction base for the magic arm also... Which is on my Christmas list.

Interested to see some pics from your rig mate!

Back