My DIY car rig

I've voiced my opinion before on glass/tile lifting suction cups so, I wont go into too much detail: Don't do it.

I can't see your photos of the rig as I'm sat behind a silly proxy at the mo, it sounds like it's pretty heavy though, just be carefull with it.

For those who wanted to see more examples, here's some of mine with a similar suction cup based rig:

3105989466_ee7dc55966.jpg

3174702288_8012d34125.jpg

3105974060_b51bbb5a60.jpg

3223710882_3fe878ba13.jpg

Mitesh, tell me if I'm sticking my nose in where it's not welcome, but seeing as you said you bought the rig it looks like something odd is happening.

Are you aware that fastfilms are using your images with "copyright fastfilms" stamped on them on the page that you linked to?

I've voiced my opinion before on glass/tile lifting suction cups so, I wont go into too much detail: Don't do it.

I can't see your photos of the rig as I'm sat behind a silly proxy at the mo, it sounds like it's pretty heavy though, just be carefull with it.

For those who wanted to see more examples, here's some of mine with a similar suction cup based rig:

Great pics Dean, and even more on your website www.deanphoto.co.uk Top locations too. And cars. Not to mention equipment and technique! This is one style of photography where you really need to get everything together.

It would be really interesting to know what rigs were used for which pics, instead of guessing. It looks to me like you do a lot of car to car, presumably with the rig suckered low on the side. Sounds like a three man job, and two cars. Quite an operation, but maybe the upside is you don't have to do any PP to get rid of the rig, and you've got a lot more positioning options than with a single long pole stuck to the roof.

Tell us about lenses, shutter speeds, driving speeds. I'm also thinking that IS/VR will be very handy for this kind of thing. Go on, spill the beans :) :D

Mitesh, tell me if I'm sticking my nose in where it's not welcome, but seeing as you said you bought the rig it looks like something odd is happening.

Are you aware that fastfilms are using your images with "copyright fastfilms" stamped on them on the page that you linked to?

They are my photos but because of the service I provided, I have provided them with a copy. I checked as they put them up so the work still belongs to me. Not sure how they see it but its not caused a bother.

Since they did not get high res, I dont mind them using them for material since its been seen at car shows still credited to myself. :)

Great pics Dean, and even more on your website Top locations too. And cars. Not to mention equipment and technique! This is one style of photography where you really need to get everything together.

It would be really interesting to know what rigs were used for which pics, instead of guessing. It looks to me like you do a lot of car to car, presumably with the rig suckered low on the side. Sounds like a three man job, and two cars. Quite an operation, but maybe the upside is you don't have to do any PP to get rid of the rig, and you've got a lot more positioning options than with a single long pole stuck to the roof.

Tell us about lenses, shutter speeds, driving speeds. I'm also thinking that IS/VR will be very handy for this kind of thing. Go on, spill the beans :) :D

Thanks Hoppy.

I'll spill the beans on some of the stuff.

My rig is made up of 2 suction cups, 2 poles (the metal type, not the people) measuring roughly 10ft when pieced together, 3x superclamps and a magic arm. All of the shots that I posted were taken using this setup or a variation of, none were car to car, or attached to another car.

The upside to using this method is that you have full control. You don't have to rely on other cars, drivers etc etc. The downsides are that the post processing can take forever and sometimes it's handy to have others around to help with traffic flow etc (was never really an issue with the supercars as all my friends wanted to tag along). Another downside would be that as you suggest, you are limited to rig placement however, if you're creative enough if it's not too much of an issue.

So lenses shutter speeds etc etc: I tend to use a sigma 10-20mm (on my rig only D200) for most shots, especially if I need the entire car in the frame or, I want to make use of a locations features. If you have a longer rig, you can use a greater focal length (my rig can extend to 15ft but it's a tad wobbly). If doing detail rig shots, as per the F430 engine bay, I'll use the D3 with 35mm f/2.0 and only half the rig poles (so 5ft).

As for shutter speeds, these can vary greatly depending on how much motion you want or, if you want it to look real or not! For most I'll use 1-3 seconds however, you could use as long a shutter as you like if you have little ambient/enough ND's.

Speeds: All of mine are done at less than walking pace, sometimes barely 1mph. This reduces risk of wobble from the road.

Full rig used:

This was the hardest shot. Try rolling backwards around a hairpin bend (30 limit) with little visibility, in a car with little visibililty, with the brakes hardening as the engine is off, the car being worth a silly amount of money and with a 10ft pole sticking out of the bonnet.

Queue lots of wierd looks, people stopping and asking questions, people wanting me to give it some revs etc etc. :bang:

After an hour of rolling backwards around a hairpin and repeating, I got the shot in the bag. The sun was a little too high by now as you can see by the blown out windscreen.

Full rig used.

Half rig used:

Full rig used:

Personally, I'm no longer a fan of rig shots. Far too many people are doing it now and producing medioker images. It's really put me off. I much prefer a good pan or tracking shot, there so much more romantic although I have limited experience with these.

3297189910_b8246b68ef.jpg

3258191706_6852b4785d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3506/3258193526_551fa3f349.jpg

I'm also experimenting with other types of motion shots, I'll keep you updated :)

Thanks Hoppy.

I'll spill the beans on some of the stuff.

Thank you very much for that Dean. Brilliant post :)

I would never have guessed those pics were not car to car. That rig must be a sight, but the results look really natural and not 'rig-like' apart from the background of course. Pretty amazing frankly.

Do you work solo then? (Apart from the crowds :LOL: ) Just you, a big pole (metal type :D ) and a remote release? That's another surprise.

I know what you mean about getting a bit tired of rig shots, they have a certain look that doesn't change much, but then you've been there and done it plenty. I haven't done anything much except a bit of leaning out of a car window or boot, and I guess most other folks reading this are the same, so it's all new and fun to explore.

I'm going to try some car to car with a single super-sucker, mounted low so I can get the angle. I don't really want to rush into a full rig yet just to shoot a few mate's cars.

Thanks again for the insight (y)

Edit: I know what I'm suggesting is different, effectively a completely different technique, but what I want is the low angle angle and swirly background. If it works okay, I'd really like to try it at night with flash, maybe two, and perhaps another remote flash firing inside the car at the driver's face (they'll love it ;) ). Have you tried anything like that? I've pretty much got the kit to give it a bash.

<goes to patch up some long remote cable>

Thanks Hoppy.

This was the hardest shot. Try rolling backwards around a hairpin bend (30 limit) with little visibility, in a car with little visibililty, with the brakes hardening as the engine is off, the car being worth a silly amount of money and with a 10ft pole sticking out of the bonnet.

Hey Mate, i would never have guessed that, am i reading that wrong, or is the photo taken with the car going in reverse, what is the advantage of that???
Dean:)

Hey Mate, i would never have guessed that, am i reading that wrong, or is the photo taken with the car going in reverse, what is the advantage of that???

Nope you're reading that correctly! Car in neutral, engine off, rolling backwards. No real advantage but I couldn't roll it forwards (was on a big hill) as it the car would have been on the wrong side of the road :)

Cheers for clearing that up Dean.
BTW your website is stunning(y)

Back