My DIY moth catcher

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
View attachment 9420

Made this today, pretty pleased with it. I had a look on the net at a few examples and made this from scratch. Just needs treating.
Scrounged the wood, cable and lampholder. Only costs were the perspex and lamp. Total was £25 ( £10 was postage costs!!!)
Only mistake was the 2mm perspex, should have got thicker and Im not sure if the lamp will be any good. Its a 15w Actinic. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I did OK with my 15w actinic, I had plenty of moths in and around the trap,but then I used a Mv lamp,the difference was immense,where as I trapped around 50 per session with the actinic, I got 100+ with Mv. Then my nieghbour got on my case regarding the light (don't blame her really) so I went back to an actinic....she still moaned about that so I rarely trap anymore. Good luck with it, I found positioning the trap was just as important as anything, I got most success under honeysuckle plants. And before I forget,if have not trapped before, it will attract wasps and hornets so take care when you inspect the trap if you leave it out overnight!!.

Regarding the light, I found it much easier to go to a tropical fish shop and buy the light holder bulb etc as kit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Tried it last night just to see the lamp working and it's not very bright to my eyes but supposed to be for moths. This is my first go at trapping.I'm purely interested in finding out what's about I my garden.

I know they put traps out at my local reserve and catch some impressive stuff.

Back