My experience with Nikon (APS-C), Fuji X and M4/3

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Warning - long post !

Hi all. Not sure if this will be of help to anyone, but I’m in the very lucky position to own all three systems above, and so as I’ve had my latest system (the Fuji X) for about 4 months now, I thought it was time to express my thoughts / opinions on all systems.

A little bit of background. I’ve been shooting for over 40 years now and the vast majority of that has been solely with Nikon (first film then digital) with a very brief spell in the late 70’s early 80’s with Pentax. Whilst I’ve always (luckily) been fully employed outside of photography, I have over the years done many weddings (up to 20 a year at one time), christenings, portraits etc. although I’ve stopped much of that and these days shoot purely for personal pleasure.

I won’t get into why I have 3 systems, but I just do, and have started using each of them for specific uses (more later). So, my systems surround the following – Nikon D500, Olympus OMD EM1 MK11 (and MK1) and a Fuji X-T2. Each body is arguably the top of its particular niche. I’ll break my “review” down into sections for easier reading.

Body Size and handling
For me (and surprisingly) the Olympus is my favourite body in the hand. It’s just beautiful to hold, with a perfect weight and great hand grip. The Fuji X-T2 second, and relegated to second due to the grip not being quite big enough for my hands (slightly remedied by the optional Arca small grip for the X-T2). The Nikon D500 is last, but for a DSLR, is beautifully crafted with a fantastic grip, but is obviously much larger and heavier than the Olympus or Fuji body and it’s that which relegates it to last place.

System lenses and accessories
It’s close one this, but once again, I would have to put the Olympus first. It has a massive range of lenses (both consumer and professional) from both its own and Panasonic stables, starting at 14mm (7-14mm F2.8 Pro) equivalent right the way though to 800mm (Panasonic 100-400) and everything in between. It also has a full suite of flash guns, battery grips, extension tubes, etc.

Second would be the Nikon system, it’s a very mature and massive system and the only one available with the exotic fast primes (300, 400, 500 & 600 if that’s your thing), whereas the Olympus only has the 300mm F4 (600mm eqv), and at present Fuji nothing, as well as PC lenses. The downside of the Nikon system is that dedicated APC-C lenses of pro quality are very thin on the ground, and Nikon certainly hasn’t done much to push APS-C as a professional format in recent years, and is pretty much forcing users to switch to FF lenses, which are both very large and heavy. Not really something you need when the body is already bigger and heavier than it’s mirrorless counterparts. However a plus is in addition to Nikon own brand, lens manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron and Tokina make a huge suite of lenses for the Nikon F mount (and other DSLR brands too).

The Fuji is last, but that is really only down to the lens choices. Now to be fair, the Fuji X-System is the youngest of the all, so Fuji have to be applauded for getting as many lenses as they have available in such a short space of time. The real pain for me though is the “standard” zooms, with Fuji forcing you to the expensive and heavy 16-55 F2.8 if you want the “24mm” wide-angle coverage that all other systems give you as a starting point. The Fuji “consumer” lenses (albeit good ones) – the 18-55 and 18-135, all start at 27mm effective meaning I usually need to take a wide lens (my Fuji 10-24) with me on trips, rather than just my superb Olympus 12-100 F4 IS (24-200 effective) on the EM1 11. Of course this is personal and YMMV.

Handling & Features.
Now then, this is going to polarise opinions, as I’m sure everyone will expect me to say that the Fuji X-T2 with its external dials would be the best handling camera, but for me (and just me), it’s the worst. I know lots of people love the external dials and retro handling, and the aperture around the lens ring, but for me it just sort of gets in the way. I much prefer the Nikon and Olympus handling and being able to change aperture, shutter speed, ISO and even EV valves using the main and sub command dials I find much more intuitive. Between the Nikon and the Olympus, I’ve have to give the Olympus the nod on handling just due to the size and weight, the fully articulating screen and the absolutely mind blowing array of the buttons that can be programmed to make the camera operate exactly as you like.

As far as features, well it’s the Olympus (by a country mile). It does everything the other two does, but adds in, Focus stacking & bracketing, Live Time and Live Bulb modes, Perspective correction (though only for JPEGS), pro-capture, built in focus limiter mind blowing in-body image stabilization and the fab High Res mode. The Fuji is good, and the EVF probably just bests the one in the Olympus, but I do love the way the Fuji moves the viewfinder settings when shooting in portrait mode, and the manual focus aids. Also, credit goes to the Fuji for USB charging and when using the optional power grip, charging the batteries via the AC adapter without having to remove the batteries. Next to the two new Mirrorless upstarts, the Nikon’s feature set is pretty limited and is pretty much pure DSLR, and relies on its stunning AF module (the best of the bunch) and image quality (more next).

Image quality
For me the Nikon gives the best image quality and certainly at High ISO. It’s very slim between the Nikon and the Fuji, but above ISO 6400 I find the “grain” in the D500 images just much more acceptable. I tend therefore to use the Nikon more for wildlife shooting where the 10fps, blindingly fast and accurate AF is almost bordering on AI, and the superb high ISO (for a crop sensor), means I can shoot regularly at ISO 12,800 (and above) and still get cracking images.

The Fuji is second, but with a caveat – Lightroom. Lightroom is my default image processor and has been for many years, and both the Olympus and Nikon raw files are handled superbly in this package, however the Fuji RAF files take much more to get the best out of them, and really demands another raw processor (Capture 1 etc.) to see what the Fuji is really capable of, and I just don’t have the inclination to learn a new piece of software. However given some time and careful processing the Fuji is capable of stunning results, and the film simulations are much more useful than I first though would be.

Lastly it’s the Olympus, but not by as big a margin as you would think. A lot of people say that M4/3 is at least a stop behind the best APS-C, but I’m just not consistently seeing that. Sure APS-C is better (pure physics), but at best in the “standard” ISO range up to and including ISO6400, I would put it at nearer ½ stop at best. Once past 6400 into 12,800 and 25,600 territory, then yes, about a stop is what I would see then, but again, if that’s the case I would use the Nikon. The Olympus partly makes up for this with its world beating image stabilization, which for non-moving subjects, allows me to shoot MANY stops slower than I would normally - with ANY lens.

So which would I pick as my winner. We’ll surprisingly it’s the Olympus, as whilst not the very best on image quality, bests the other two camera for handling (IMO) and feature set, and is catered for by some stunning lenses in both the Olympus and Panasonic ranges.

So, then runner up – Nikon or Fuji ? We’ll as a Nikon man I’m bound to say the D500, but in this instance I’ll pick the XT-2 for two reasons. One, firmware updates. Like Olympus, Fuji seems to really reward their loyal base with many updates and new features (it took Nikon nearly 18 months to fix Snapbridge and it’s still flaky). Secondly, lenses. Whilst the Nikon arsenal is bigger, like I said earlier Fuji have designed all their lenses around an APS-C sensor. This means that the tradition lenses such as the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm, are much smaller and faster than their Nikon counterparts. Couple that with price. For example, a Fuji 35mm equiv F1.4 (23mm F1.4) is currently £699 with the Nikon equivalent (24mm F1.4) £1,499. The 85mm equivalent is similar – The Fuji (56mm F1.2 R) £768, with the Nikon equiv (58mm F1.4 – so not even as fast) is £1,347.

So for me, I use the Olympus as my everyday system. The Fuji for landscapes and where I have time to compose and take my time, and the Nikon for sports and wildlife.

Most of what I've written is probably completely at odds with on line reviews and most other peoples experiences, but having the opportunity to compare them all side by side, I stick by my findings. Apologies for the long post but I thought it might help some people starting out.

Last edited:
Very interesting post Andrew. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

Simon.

Nice review, and interesting perspectives. I have to agree with you on many points regarding the olympus, it really is a great system and the feel of the EM1 (and mark II) in the hand is great, and I actually prefer them to my D750 and D500 (which has since gone). I also agree with you re the Fuji dials. I had the XT1 (similar enough to the XT2 ;)) and whilst I loved having the external dials for the cool retro factor, in real world usage they're not as quick or intuitive as the Nikon and Olympus imo. Still very cool though. I really didn't like the Fuji direction buttons on the back of the XT1, have they sorted them with the XT2? They felt a bit cheap and mushy to me, even the updated ones.

Feature wise the Olly does have a lot, although truth be told I don't use a lot of the fancy ones such as live composite etc. But good to have if you do want them. Again, I'm in agreement with the IQ. The difference between my old Sony A77-II and the Olly was minimal, even with regards to noise. Between the Olly and Fuji it was negligible imo and I prefer the way the Olly files render. However, it's only recently I've thought this. Despite some of the Fuji rendering overall there was something more pleasing about the files when viewed at normal size. However, I've spent quite a while faffing with Olly files in LR of late to try and get the max out of them and I've realised that for me the Olly RAWs need quite a contrast hike (via the tone curve) which gives them some really nice punch, but without being too contrasty and ugly. I don't tend to add a lot of contrast to other files. Now I've made some presets I'm just as happy with the overall look as I was with the Fuji, but with better rendering.

For me the D500 (and of course my D750) had noticeably better noise handling, colour, and DR at higher ISO meaning that colours at 6400 and 12800 are much nicer and better preserved. However, the EM1-II is supposed to be marked improvement over the EM1 so I assume the gap is bridged somewhat.

So which is my favourite? Well I would still choose my D750, and the D500 over the Olly if I want the creme de la creme images, and/or need the AF system. My EM1 is a very good second though and I wouldn't choose any other system as a lighter setup (well obviously I'd upgrade to the EM1-II if I had the money ;))

That's a nice little write up :D

I have MFT and a FF Sony A7. I'm a bit of a fan of MFT as long as I can resist pixel peeping :D and I agree that at the ISO's of up to 6400 MFT holds up well and IMO gives image quality which would have been almost science fiction years ago :D At even higher ISO's I'd say that MFT is useable and I certainly wouldn't stop taking pictures above ISO 6400. I have ISO 25,600 pictures that are acceptable to me.

Apart from the compact nature of the MFT system another thing that appeals to me is that there are lenses on the used market at reasonable prices, most of my lenses were bought used. Canikon are IMO arguably weak here with IMO not enough lenses specifically designed for APS-C.

On handling, I don't seem to care :D and although some complain about the menu's on various cameras I don't seem to care about that either and mostly only dive into the menu to setting the clock and formatting the card.

It's always good to see actual regular user reviews on these things. There's way too much nonsense about on forums, youtube comments etc ... about sensor sizes, noise, differences in aperture values etc ... photographers are a right spoiled bunch these days, and there's definitely far more gear head pixel peepers than people who just love to get out and shoot!

M43 intrigues me, for many reasons: The lens selection and prices, the 5-axis stabilization (which for me would negate the need for higher ISO as I tend to mostly shoot still or barely moving subjects!) the video quality and features (fancy dabbling a bit on that side) the cross-over usability between Panasonic and Olympus lens ranges, and the image dimensions - I find I often crop more rectangular images in tighter, if I shot M43 and tried harder to 'get it right in cam' and not have to crop as much, there'd be very little difference.

I always thought when I moved to Fuji that I would stick, but I'm ever flexible, and if the right deal came up I am not against trying M43 for a while. The Fuji system is great, the images are lovely, I like the feel and build of the cameras - but, I don't have the funds to buy the lenses I really want for it, it's not a system that suits the poor photographer :/ whereas I look at Panny and Oly lenses and they have more of what I actually desire, at much more reasonable prices, especially used. All those juicy little primes entice me. Unfortunately, it's one or the other for me realistically.

Got to agree about the aperture being on the lens, I would much prefer the option of aperture being on command or sub command dials- as on the Fuji XC lens.
Olympus menus are IMO too complicated for me, had an EM1 for a couple of days and returned it.
Nikon, lovely but a bit of a lump. Miss the range of the 16-80 lens though.
So happyish with the Fuji for now:)

Got to agree about the aperture being on the lens, I would much prefer the option of aperture being on command or sub command dials- as on the Fuji XC lens.
Olympus menus are IMO too complicated for me, had an EM1 for a couple of days and returned it.
Nikon, lovely but a bit of a lump. Miss the range of the 16-80 lens though.
So happyish with the Fuji for now:)
I really don't understand the confusion with the Olympus menus, seem as straight forward as any other to me, and not too dissimilar to my Nikon :confused: Sony menus on the other hand........ ;)

Interesting set of comments chaps. As I said these are my views from a purely personal point of view.TBH, any of these 3 cameras (of even something like a Nikon D5600, Fuji XT-20 or Olympus EM10 MK III) can deliver superb quality. Modern camera systems are really so good that even the "bottom" end cameras are much better a lot of the time than what we had some years ago.

Having re-read the above it looks like I'm bashing Fuji which I'm most certainly not. However, taking all the camera brands, there does seem to be a lot of emotion attached to the Fuji X system on the internet at present though with it being hailed as the holy grail of cameras. It's good, but in most cases no better than it's peers - just different and suited to a different style of photographer. Choice is great and it's good that we are really in a golden era of photography where you almost can't make a bad choice and in fact your choice is more dictated by price now rather than image quality.

There will of course always be those that come along that will state full frame with it's razor thin DOF and even better high ISO performance as the best of all, but honestly these leviathans in my opinion have nearly had their day as they are huge and heavy compared to the current mirrorless offerings, and in any case will no doubt from 2018 onwards be replaced by the big two's own Mirrorless offerings. for maybe 20% (at most) better image quality (I know I used to shoot them too). With the F1.2, F1 and even F0.95 lenses available in the mirrorless world though, the DOF issue becomes largely a moot point - and I've never been a real fan of only having 2mm DOF anyway.

I must have spent a small fortune over the years on gear, and I look on my work now and that of 20 years ago, and aside from the technical advances in modern technologies (higher ISO, frame rates, better DR and the instant feedback digital gives you), I haven't really seen the real "quality" of my photographs improve in line with the amount spent. It goes to show, cameras today are to a greater of lesser extent fairly even these days, but it's the organic blob behind the viewfinder that needs to really improve, and no amount of new and exciting equipment will really change that.

Last edited:
Good to read experiences of someone who's actually owned them all.

Aside from the better high ISO I found Nikon FF offered me nothing I wanted over m43 yet m43 offered a lot of additional things that I did value so now I use m43 (having used Nikon FF for a good few years).

The only Fuji I've ever tried is my sisters XT1 and that was only for 5 minutes as I just didn't get it, not for me at all.

Interesting thoughts, having switched back to Nikon FF from over 4 years of Fuji use including just about all of the available models from X100 through to X-Pro2, I’m firmly in the Nikon camp.

I bought on a whim a Df back in April and since then added a D750 to it. Image quality is superb, I much prefer the look from the Nikon files to the Fuji files and the Df really is quite sublime how it handles noise. Even at 12,800 a little in-Lightroom noise reduction and it’s all but disappears.

At the end of the day it’s horses for courses, I don’t find the weight differential too great with the Df and a couple of primes chucked in my Billingham and that’s given I use a big hefty 35 1.4 Nikon lens. The only issue I find is I’m much more noticeable toting a DSLR about compared to the smaller Fuji.

At the end of the day it’s horses for courses, I don’t find the weight differential too great with the Df and a couple of primes chucked in my Billingham and that’s given I use a big hefty 35 1.4 Nikon lens. The only issue I find is I’m much more noticeable toting a DSLR about compared to the smaller Fuji.

This was one of the reasons I switched from Nikon to Fuji. When I shot casually with the D800E, just out and about minding my own, I'd get people ask me what paper I worked for! Or even to take their photo and ask me to email it to them - complete random strangers. I also found I was taking it out less and less over time, unless I was specifically going to shoot something planned. My mojo was dying off, and the big chunky gear [I had some beefy lenses to boot] didn't help, when all I wanted was to go shoot for fun and not be pestered. The weight issue was there too, as I've a duffed back, and often the bag would be 8-10kg total if I planned to do some macro [the Sigma 150mm was 1.2Kg alone] I'd rather a little loss in IQ and low light capabilities than those issues. But then, I'm no pro, so it hardly matters.

A good write up - I own Nikon FF, crop and an Olympus Pen F. I have no problem leaving the Nikons behind when I go off for long weekends. The little Olympus works a treat and I am very happy with the results from it.

The added features like live time and live bulb are truely superb - I use both. The hi-res shot is also great in the right conditions.

Dave.

We have an Oly E-M10, Sony A58 APS-C and Nikon D610 here. TBH the camera with the best handling, menu and AF *for me* is the Sony, but the last 2 times I've travelled I've taken the D610, despite the greater weight, because the image quality is just so much better if you need to manipulate the files. Perfectly exposed images of limited dynamic range just seen SOOC at standard LR viewing size, there's nothing to choose between any of the cameras, but as soon as an image needs significant work then sensor size wins every time.

Good write up, and thanks for taking the time.

A good write up - I own Nikon FF, crop and an Olympus Pen F. I have no problem leaving the Nikons behind when I go off for long weekends. The little Olympus works a treat and I am very happy with the results from it.

The added features like live time and live bulb are truely superb - I use both. The hi-res shot is also great in the right conditions.

Dave.
I really need to read up on how to use live time.

Can someone tell me what models were the first to make good use of IBIS for Panasonic and Oly? From what I gather, as I do get a bit lost in all the various older models, the G7 and GH4 didn't have it, but the G80 and Gh5 do? and the Gx7 has it, but not as good as the Gx8/80? and all of Olympus's em models had it but the older em10 only had 3 axis?

Also where does 4K video start for both makes?

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what models were the first to make good use of IBIS for Panasonic and Oly? From what I gather, as I do get a bit lost in all the various older models, the G7 and GH4 didn't have it, but the G80 and Gh5 do? and the Gx7 has it, but not as good as the Gx8/80? and all of Olympus's em models had it but the older em10 only had 3 axis?

All the above information is correct, the G7 and GH4 do not have IBIS but do shoot 4K video, the OMD EM10 Mk 1 has 3 axis IBIS. I think that 4K video in an Olympus body needs the EM10 Mk3, EM5 Mk2 or EM1 Mk2 bodies, but the frame rates tend to be lower than the equivalent Panasonic bodies. The better IBIS in Panasonic bodies started with the G80 and GH5 but the perceived wisdom is that it is not yet quite up to the Olympus 5 Axis standard.

In use, I don't notice a big difference in IBIS capability for photographs between my EM1 and EM10 bodies, both are Mk 1's.

AFAIK effective IBIS started with the E-M5 and E-M1 MkI from Olympus. No idea on 4K.

All the above information is correct, the G7 and GH4 do not have IBIS but do shoot 4K video, the OMD EM10 Mk 1 has 3 axis IBIS. I think that 4K video in an Olympus body needs the EM10 Mk3, EM5 Mk2 or EM1 Mk2 bodies, but the frame rates tend to be lower than the equivalent Panasonic bodies. The better IBIS in Panasonic bodies started with the G80 and GH5 but the perceived wisdom is that it is not yet quite up to the Olympus 5 Axis standard.

In use, I don't notice a big difference in IBIS capability for photographs between my EM1 and EM10 bodies, both are Mk 1's.

Cheers, wouldn't mind a G80, maybe a Christmas pressie for myself :whistle:

Surely the main thing is not the camera but what a photographer is happy using. It is no good saying this is better than that, what suits one person may not suit another. No way for example would i use a Canon, not that they are bad cameras, far from it, but I am used to Nikon and will stick with that make.
If one even attempts to say this is better than that can also depend if one gets a bad copy of one make and a good copy of another, or even within the same brand.

Surely the main thing is not the camera but what a photographer is happy using. It is no good saying this is better than that, what suits one person may not suit another. No way for example would i use a Canon, not that they are bad cameras, far from it, but I am used to Nikon and will stick with that make.
If one even attempts to say this is better than that can also depend if one gets a bad copy of one make and a good copy of another, or even within the same brand.

That was more or less what I'd thought the OP had said. Cameras like this are at heart more or less simple tools with controls to manipulate the exposure triangle and ways to mount & view through the taking lens, but with a lot of paraphernalia attached too. For most of us, provided the key controls that allow us to direct the camera aren't made difficult to use (aperture ring issue noted in the case of Fuji) or too heavy to be easily manageable then we'd probably mostly be OK with any of them. Where they aren't equal is in sensor performance, and I definitely have images taken on crop that would have benefitted from being shot on FX, but where that's not an issue then I don't care which camera I use provided it has the right lens and sensible controls. Most of us are probably going to wack it in aperture priority and shoot at f8 or f11 anyway. ;)

Since you mention Canon, it's one make I've never really used. When I bought my first AF SLR - Minolta 7000 - a colleague bought the first Canon EOS. The minolta had all the controls out on the body in easy view, and operation was completely obvious, no manual required. Conversely Martin's EOS had buttons hidden under flaps or labelled with symbols that meant nothing at the time, and to make any adjustments he would have to keep looking at the manual. It seemed so stupid at the time, to design in awkwardness, though hopefully they've moved on a bit since then. I feel a little like that with the Nikon - there are probably some features or adjustments that might be usefully changed, but they're hidden in a crappy menu system that defnintely makes the camera inferior for me as a user, and I can't be bothered to dig around because I'll just wack it in aperure priority instead and find another way to get the shot - this is certainly the equivalent of Canons flaps and buttons, but it's not bad enough to be more of a disadvantage than using an inferior sensor.

it's not bad enough to be more of a disadvantage than using an inferior sensor.

Conversely, if sensors were the only factor no-one would shoot Canon.

Broadly speaking if you want good video go for Panasonic (but be aware some models suffer bad shutter shock - not sure when they cured that) and for stills Oly is better although obviously each is capable of both.

All the OMD cameras have IBIS, yes the EM10 only has 3 axis but it is still very good and in real use I didn't really notice much difference as you don't tend to push the envelope that much.

I also have an Oly EPM2 and that has 2 axis IBIS which is still useful and it also has the excellent 16mp sensor of most of the OMDs so if you want a really cheap way of trying m43 it's a really great option (just doesn't have a viewfinder).

For me it's Sony, they could produce a staggering new sensor in a very affordable body with all the bells and whistles I could ever want and I'd still hesitate. A lot of it is down to the fact that my first Dslr experience was with a Sony - ok, a very old redundant model today, but at the time it was well praised because it was very affordable and had IBIS that worked with old Minolta glass also - but it was a heap of utter s***. I moved to a Nikon D200 after and stayed with Nikon for 10 years. Once bitten ...

Broadly speaking if you want good video go for Panasonic (but be aware some models suffer bad shutter shock - not sure when they cured that) and for stills Oly is better although obviously each is capable of both.

All the OMD cameras have IBIS, yes the EM10 only has 3 axis but it is still very good and in real use I didn't really notice much difference as you don't tend to push the envelope that much.

I also have an Oly EPM2 and that has 2 axis IBIS which is still useful and it also has the excellent 16mp sensor of most of the OMDs so if you want a really cheap way of trying m43 it's a really great option (just doesn't have a viewfinder).

Cheers, I will investigate a little more :)

I agree, that would be true if the ONLY part of the camera outfit that mattered was the sensor. IIRC Canon haven't always been behind with sensors, and people invest more heavily in lenses than bodies, so changing brand is difficult, plus some prefer canon handling and find sensor performance more than adequate for their needs - example being Kipax who shoots sports in very demanding conditions.

For me it's Sony, they could produce a staggering new sensor in a very affordable body with all the bells and whistles I could ever want and I'd still hesitate. A lot of it is down to the fact that my first Dslr experience was with a Sony - ok, a very old redundant model today, but at the time it was well praised because it was very affordable and had IBIS that worked with old Minolta glass also - but it was a heap of utter s***. I moved to a Nikon D200 after and stayed with Nikon for 10 years. Once bitten ...

But look at Nikon now, more faults and recalls than the rest put together... or so it seems.

But look at Nikon now, more faults and recalls than the rest put together... or so it seems.
Yep, they've had a torrid time. That being said, it's 'only' been two models, the D600 and D750. They've handled the D750 well imo, and they are 'faults' that for the most part would never manifest themselves. But they should get their QC/R&D sorted for sure.

Well written and interesting post that’s become a interesting thread.
I’m still trying to get to grips with my omd but really like the images I’m getting.
Trouble these day is I’m finding the old Saying “you can’t teach a old dog new tricks”
To be rather true maybe it’s dementia? But I’m really struggling to remember things where it wasn’t a problem a few years ago ?

Cheers, I will investigate a little more :)

I'll be honest, I had the a200 as my first DSLR and loved it :D Picked up an a100 to run alongside it and still have fond memories :) Noise was awful above iso 400 though LOL

I'll be honest, I had the a200 as my first DSLR and loved it :D Picked up an a100 to run alongside it and still have fond memories :) Noise was awful above iso 400 though LOL

I was probably being a little harsh, I just remember the frustration when the IBIS crashed on mine. I just didn't get along with it after that and couldn't wait to get rid. Thankfully at the time I found an even more scroogey photographer than I, who didn't care about the IBIS once it took pictures and was at the right [low] price.

I was probably being a little harsh, I just remember the frustration when the IBIS crashed on mine. I just didn't get along with it after that and couldn't wait to get rid. Thankfully at the time I found an even more scroogey photographer than I, who didn't care about the IBIS once it took pictures and was at the right [low] price.

Haha! I actually couldn't believe the image quality difference once I stepped up to a Canon EOS 30D, it was a different world.

Never managed to connect with another Sony. Tried the a230, a450, a57, Nex-3 (twice), Nex-5, Nex-5n, Nex-7, a7 and a7r and didn't like any of them! Disliked the handling and high ISO noise pattern. Moreover, I just didn't enjoy using them. That's just my opinion though, there are millions of happy Sony users out there!

Last edited:
Haha! I actually couldn't believe the image quality difference once I stepped up to a Canon EOS 30D, it was a different world.

Never managed to connect with another Sony. Tried the a230, a450, a57, Nex-3 (twice), Nex-5, Nex-5, Nex-7, a7 and a7r and didn't like any of them! Disliked the handling and high ISO noise pattern. Moreover, I just didn't enjoy using them. That's just my opinion though, there are millions of happy Sony users out there!

I saved the pain of that route, I was going to go similar but got a nice deal at the time on a D200 + 50mm 1.8, went from that to a D90 and then the D800E and then .... the Fuji X-T1 - before the old Sony I had been using Fuji bridge cams, so I went full circle .... looking at M43 now, I'm all over the place :ROFLMAO:

Good write up and always good to hear people's comparisons, how much better is Capture One for processing Fuji RAW? Never tried it myself but did try a few of the other packages (Irident mainly) with mixed success, wish they'd make one with a standard sensor!

Fuji Rumors reckon there's an X-T100 on the way with Bayer sensor. Guess if that's popular they may make a more advanced model?

Personally, I prefer the x-trans though :D

Fuji Rumors reckon there's an X-T100 on the way with Bayer sensor. Guess if that's popular they may make a more advanced model?

Personally, I prefer the x-trans though :D
If they do go back to the Bayer sensor I could most definitely see myself being a Fuji shooter again. Fingers crossed (y)

Never managed to connect with another Sony. Tried the a230, a450, a57, Nex-3 (twice), Nex-5, Nex-5n, Nex-7, a7 and a7r and didn't like any of them! Disliked the handling and high ISO noise pattern. Moreover, I just didn't enjoy using them. That's just my opinion though, there are millions of happy Sony users out there!
I had the A77 and A77-II and thought they were great cameras (y)

Back