My First attempt - C&C please

Yes, higher ISO and shorter shutter would have helped with the trailing of the stars. A shorter focal length also helps and would give more compositonal options. Good start though and you will learn more each trip out.

Reactions: C.J
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I only have a 55mm on this Sony. I could always use my Canon with the 17mm, but I didn't take it :(

Going to show my ignorance of the Sony system now, but I believe there is an adapter to use Canon lenses on them. Might be a cheaper option for the times when you want a wider angle. Just a thought:)

The second one is very nice. It's possibly a bit overexposed on the smaller tree but I would be pleased with it.

As Sara has said, using shorter exposures and blending them in the Deepskystacker software can be very effective, There is one thing to keep in mind though. The software works by moving the elements of each shot to overlay the stars on top of each over to increase brightness. If you have land based elements in the shots, these will become blurred due to the movement. The answer is to overlay the foreground over the stacked image in the likes of photoshop and blend the 2 together. Only just started playing with this, so far from an expert, there maybe easier solutions that I have not discovered yet ;)

Edit : Another bonus is that the stacking process reduces noise, discards aircraft and satelite trails and can even cope with clouds moving through the frame.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback and advice on stacking.

I will look into this for my next outing. It looks really clear tonight.

Back