My first close up woodpecker

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Here are some shots I took today of my first close encounter with a Great Crested Woodpecker:)
I was trying to get them flying, but every shot in the air they had there wings almost closed.
gcw2.jpg

gcw1.jpg

gcw.jpg

i and 3 are nice but the white bits on the bird on no. 2 are blown out . but all in all good set

well done for getting them

I really like #1 but as mentioned above this looks a little soft.

Its a Greater Spotted woodpecker btw not a Great Crested ;)

A wonderful bird to watch whenever possible (y)

Well done on your first Woodpecker,I hope you dont mind me saying, but its a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, not crested.
I agree with Swag72, they are looking a bit soft, especially 2 & 3, but that looks to be a focus issue looking at the rest of the picture. Also, all 3 are somewhat over exposed, again especially 2 & 3.

Tackling these birds in flight isnt the easiest subject, they dont hang about and you did well just to get them as they are here. I havent seen the EXIF info so dont know what settings you used. Keep trying, its very rewarding so keep up the good work (y)

Its a Greater Spotted woodpecker btw not a Great Crested ;)

Being just a bit pendantic Andrew it's just Great Spotted Woodpecker. I think people tend to append the 'er' bit because of the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Being just a bit pendantic Andrew it's just Great Spotted Woodpecker. I think people tend to append the 'er' bit because of the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

I Stand corrected Cedric, indeed I think you're right about the er being because of the Lesser (y) :bang:

LOL. I was only recently mildly rebuked by an old birder for adding the 'er' :LOL:

LOL. I was only recently mildly rebuked by an old birder for adding the 'er' :LOL:

ha ha, YOU were wrong???? I take pride in not being alone ;)
its strange, I've seen books use the ER too, but the RSPB Website lists it without.

ha ha, YOU were wrong???? I take pride in not being alone ;)
its strange, I've seen books use the ER too, but the RSPB Website lists it without.

I wouldn't worry too much - it's a very common mistake. We spend enough time chasin 'em though so we should oughta get the name right. :D

You must've had a good combination of luck and patience for these shots. I've only ever seen them flying away or from a distance. As others have said, bit soft and for me; a bit on the bright side but otherwise great timing.

:ty:Thanks for all the coments. Was trying new settings to freeze the action of flight. ISO to high at times plus wrong speed settings. All notted and next time should, fingers crossed get better.

The lens is new type Sigma 300mm f2.8 DG APO. Still trying to work out the best settings for it.

Back