Beginner My first dslr

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, just registered here and this is my first post so please go easy on me.

I am in the market for my first DSLR camera.

I have been searching for a few weeks, researching every single day and am yet to make a decision, my budget is £400 or thereabouts.

So far for me I think I'm set on one of these 2 cameras:

Nikon D3300
Nikon D5300

So what I'm wondering is if I buy the cheaper d3300 and then I'm able to get myself the 2 lens kit I have seen which falls well within budget would I be as future proof (happy) as I would be if I throw almost everything at the d5300 with the standard kit lens and be done with it.

It's this decision that is the hardest and hopefully someone here can help me out.

I'm not sure what I want to use it for specifically other than, well, everything that looks like a good photo opportunity.

Thanks a lot,

Lee.

What are u aiming to shoot?
This is the thing, I'm not sure, I can't really pinpoint one thing, but I can say I doubt it will be sport, maybe nature, landscapes, wildlife, family, holidays, that sort of thing

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum. My own experience when I got my first DSLR was a kit lens. Although I used it for some time, i eventually realised that i wanted to change lenses. The kit was the D70s with 18-70mm and 70-300mm. I wanted a wider lens, a macro lens, a better quality zoom etc... I ended up getting rid of both lenses and got the ones i actually wanted. If you've already decided that the kit may not be for you, then initially, the body may be a starting point and choose your own lenses... good luck!

I bought the D3200 and another lens and have been happy with that. I figured by the time I needed to upgrade I would know what I wanted and the lenses could / will still be used. By the time you have added bag, cards etc it all adds up.

Right or wrong, I don't know but it's working for me.

I'm not a nikon guy so I don't know a lot re the bodies that u are looking at but....

A kit lens is basic but to start with wide and long enough (the apertures aren't great for me but with good light outside should be able to achieve reasonable reaults)

Photography is a bug once u start u will plow money into it a reasonable body to start with then perhaps a inexpensive 50mm prime lens should see you set to start with

Thanks moey,

It's not that I don't want the kit lens, I just wanna be happy with it for as long as possible.

The d3300 I can get new comes with the vr2 18-55 and a 55-200 lens

The d5300 comes with just the 18-55

Deciding is too hard, that's why I'm here, thanks again

The 2 cameras are very very similar, almost same on everything apart from focus points, the 3300 has 11 I think off top of head and the 5300 has 39, is this a deal breaker?

Ah, sorry, i misread... in that case, the kit lenses should keep you happy for quite a while as it did me. Eventually though, if you stick with it, you will most probably start changing your lenses when you find out what you really enjoy photographing and the limitations of the kit. But that could be a while.

Personally, i wouldn't worry about the focus points, at this stage anyway. 11 points is more than enough for what you want the camera for..

Thanks for the help guys, after browsing this and other sites and getting reviews from hdewcameras website I have purchased this:

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk//nikon-d5300--18-55mm-vr-ii-kit-1529-p.asp

Very excited to receive this now, eek.

Now my last question is what type of memory card fits in it, SD, microsd etc, and if possible a link to a good price for a high GB one, thanks all.

Appreciate the help,

Lee.

Thanks for the help guys, after browsing this and other sites and getting reviews from hdewcameras website I have purchased this:

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk//nikon-d5300--18-55mm-vr-ii-kit-1529-p.asp

Very excited to receive this now, eek.

Now my last question is what type of memory card fits in it, SD, microsd etc, and if possible a link to a good price for a high GB one, thanks all.

Appreciate the help,

Lee.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Profe...?ie=UTF8&qid=1451951011&sr=8-2&keywords=lexar

I have one of those in my D750 and have never had a problem with it. Think it's a very good card for the price!

The two cameras share the same sensor (or at least very very close) which is actually a really good sensor for the price, they actually both are very similar, and as said above the main difference is the focus system, which is better in the d5300.

For a first DSLR the d3300 is very capable.

If money wasn't an issue i'd go for the 5300. If you are just wanting to learn then go for the 3300.

I have the D3200 which i found after i bought it had much less options on it than the higher spec models had but convinced myself i didn't need them and just got on with learning.

Thanks for the amazing help guys, last night I went for it and bought:

D5300 with 18-55mm vrii kit lens £345 delivered.

Bought it from hdewcameras simply because the price was amazing compared to elsewhere, I did do a lot of searching this and other websites on the legitimacy of said site and all reviews were great,

Got my confirmation email this morning so now I just wait with sheer excitement!

Thanks again for the help guys and gals,

Lee.

You may want multiple, smaller high speed SD cards than one big one. Less eggs in one basket when it fails.

You may want multiple, smaller high speed SD cards than one big one. Less eggs in one basket when it fails.
For balance there are 2 valid schools of thought on this:
1, you don't want all your eggs in one basket, if the card fails you've lost all your shots.
2, the most likely cause of card failure is at the point of insertion, so the less you move cards about the better. So 1 big card is safer.

Personally I don't like the 'all your eggs in one basket' argument, because if I'm out shooting, only losing half the day's work isn't significantly better than losing it all. Any loss is serious, so we should minimise the risk.

But all that makes the 'risk' look bigger than it ought. I've had one card fail, and after running a rescue of the files, I reckon I lost about 3 images. That's in about 12 years of digital shooting, over dozens of cards and over half a dozen cameras.

I feel we might be inflating the risks for the OP here. I know many photographers who've never had a single failure.

If you plan to fill a 32GB card then you're gonna need a few extra batteries lol

I have a battery grip on my D3200 and i think the batteries would be long dead before i filled a card. The most photos i've taken in a day was about 900 (RAW) and the card was nowhere near even half full.

Back