weekly PSPDan's 52 for 2016 - Week 17 "Rough" added!

Hi Dan

Metal: Great take on the theme I like the angle you have taken the shot at it pulls your eye into the image but I can understand your frustration about some of the lettering being slightly out of focus but I think it adds to the image.

Captive I actually like this take on the theme and the B&W version

Hi Dan,
Good opening image for Metal. Good interpretation of the theme and I like the DoF as it is.
Captive is a good image too The blacks are a bit intense for me but it does draw the eye in to the shop.

Well done on the catch-up Dan - well worth the wait. Two excellent images. Miniature could double for Danger(ous) ... very nicely taken and such a lovely photo to see at this gloomy time of the year for us stop at homes. Happy is wonderful - really like the artwork and you have treated it well to bring out all that texture and colour. Bravo. :clap:

Well done on the catch-up Dan - well worth the wait. Two excellent images. Miniature could double for Danger(ous) ... very nicely taken and such a lovely photo to see at this gloomy time of the year for us stop at homes. Happy is wonderful - really like the artwork and you have treated it well to bring out all that texture and colour. Bravo. :clap:

Thanks for the comments. It's been a bit of a shock to the system arriving back in London from Cape Town!

Well done on catching up... it can be hard to do when work gets in the way. Happy is a good spot - the lighting in that gallery is very soft and even which helps make the shot for me. Well spotted.

Thanks, I agree about the lighting. I would've liked to try a wider crop but I only had my 50mm on me and couldn't move back any further!

Happy - is a good image, something I would like to visit and look at in the flesh

Week 5 - Abandoned

I'm a little in two minds about this one. As an image I know it's not particularly interesting but it has a bit of a back story that seems relevant.

One of our neighbours who lives over the back (we don't know them) had a cat that used to come over and visit. They are rarely at home and the cat was always left out in the cold and rain so we put this little makeshift shelter in our garden for him, complete with some blankets and food and water. Unfortunately we hadn't seen the cat for a few weeks but he came over last weekend with a severely injured leg and looking very malnourished, the owners weren't around and hadn't been for some time so we called the RSPCA who unfortunately had to put him to sleep as his injuries were too bad to treat.

Being the lazy young people we are, we haven't gotten round to removing the box from the garden, so it's currently just sitting there... abandoned.

TP 52 Week 5 - Abandoned by Dan Griffiths, on Flickr

Definitely abandoned, good image especially with the background info.

Miniature - I agree with Carl this could double as you danger.
Happy - lovely artwork great colours
abandoned - a sad back story

Nice submission for Happy, and yes I suppose they are.

Hi Dan,
Miniature - Sorry, not getting the connection with the theme... Though nothing wrong with the shot particularly, and I like the blues. Maybe one for Lightroom's de-haze.
Happy - Nice sharp shot and they fit the theme.
Abandoned - Well captured details in the shot and a sad back story that makes it fit the theme.

Hi Dan,
Miniature - Sorry, not getting the connection with the theme... Though nothing wrong with the shot particularly, and I like the blues. Maybe one for Lightroom's de-haze.
Happy - Nice sharp shot and they fit the theme.
Abandoned - Well captured details in the shot and a sad back story that makes it fit the theme.

Thanks, Tim. I was just aiming for the other hill looking miniature in the shot due to the perspective.

Aw that's sad but good of you both to try and provide shelter. Abandoned is well themed.

Both fit the theme nicely Dan but I think the first is a corker - took me a moment before I noticed the little critter there against that bg. :clap:

Camo 1 works well Dan, the little chap is hidden well in the shot, which is plenty sharp.
Camo 2 could have been a good shot, but I'm afraid you've missed the focus, it appears to be focused on the blue sign just beyond the 2 people in the scene.

Camouflage - I like the first one best spot on for theme he is well camouflaged and he is cute

Hi Dan. Abandoned is a sad story and makes your image fit really well. I think the image itself could be a bit stronger with the box being shot at a slightly different angle and perhaps without the shadow inside which almost looks like a mouth! But images are often more than just the picture you look at and your take on this theme is a very touching one. Well done.

Camouflage - definitely the first for me. A closer crop and that would be a belter!

Thanks everyone. My logic on the wider crop was that the squirrel gets more lost - more camouflaged. Agree about the second shot not working, it was more just proof that I was on the look out for camouflage!

Hi Dan, I like both camouflaged photos, but if I had to choose it would be number one. Just better hidden

Playing catch up myself Dan !

Miniature - nice interpretation and sense of scale (wouldn't catch me sat on that wall though!)

Happy - lovely - really nice image and like the POV, lighting, crop, the lot - well done :)

Abandoned - what a sad story and reflection on the owners - good on you for helping out and fits the theme tragically well (the cat, not you leaving the shelter out ;) )

Camo - prefer the second - nice off the hip shot - spot on :)

Good on you Dan - nice mini catch-up. Both very sharp and colourful images and bang on theme too. The oof guy on the left in Topical makes sense of the waiting vendor so an essential component of the shot. I'd maybe crop out the figure and bag on the right though.

Some warning signs going on there! well spotted

I agree with Carl re the bag on the right of topical but i love how board she looks!

Good on you Dan - nice mini catch-up. Both very sharp and colourful images and bang on theme too. The oof guy on the left in Topical makes sense of the waiting vendor so an essential component of the shot. I'd maybe crop out the figure and bag on the right though.

Dangerous - bang on theme and no narrative or back story required ! nicely taken and composed, like it

Topical - again bang on an a competently taken image :)

Some warning signs going on there! well spotted

I agree with Carl re the bag on the right of topical but i love how board she looks!

Thanks for the comments all. The bag on the right gave me a bit of a headache. I'm a bit OCD about keeping images in the same proportions they come out of the camera, god knows why?! So I cropped a fair chunk of the right of the image off but I didn't want to go in any further as I felt the crop would be too tight top and bottom.

I don't hate the bag as I think it gives a bit of a sense of the wider scene but I do see that it's somewhat distracting...

Hi Dan,
Dangerous - Nice sharp shot, hits the theme square on and the vibrant colours make it stand out. (y)
Topical - Decent street shot, on theme and sharp where it needs to be. Works for me.

Hi Dan

Dangerous ... we've seen lots of these coloured danger signs in the 52s, on pylons, in train stations and more. Yours is great colour, great focus and just so much of it. :clap:

Topical ... I always like a bit of street ... this is sharp, colourful and well on topic featuring a mag distributor and a Standard street poster. (y)

Back