My first go at wire wool

SAVA9E

Suspended / Banned
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Been out tonight just to see how the whole wire wool thing went.

Struggled focusing in the darker photo's but will sort that out next time, also i was loosing half the wool due to it slipping out of my whisk so will try and get some chicken wire to solve that.

5c10c8a0.jpg

0eb0ccf3.jpg

0f951328.jpg

That's a brilliant first effort (y) and I think that if you shot these in RAW just increase that black and I think that they would be spot on (y) I the last it's a real shame about the blow signs, but such is life, I would consider levelling it though as it needs some CW rotation

Matt
MWHCVT

nice shots you got there. could be better without the car though, unless you were stood on the roof :D

ive done wirewool myself and also found a whisk to be utter rubbish for the exact same reason you had

since then i bought a bird feeder, pulled the top and bottom off, made a few cuts, folded the ends over,
secured it together with lengths from a wire coat hangar and made this

img2206a.jpg

im yet to try it out but i bought some wirewool today, all i need to do is enlist an assistant to push go on the camera :)
as for focusing, if you have a torch put it where you intend to stand, zoom right in on it with your cameras live view not by twisting the lens itself, focus and zoom out again.
leave it on manual focus so it doesn't move and you're all set

Last edited:
top idea with the bird feeder.

Agree with you Matt, went out with my son and wasnt prepared for the amout of sparks so rushed them then drove of to another location.

As for the car, i want it in the pic as it might get into the Subaru Legacy calendar.

Haven't done this myself yet, its on my to do list, as Matt has already said for a first attempt looks pretty good to me too, "back to the future" feel about it, car emerging from a tunnel of light. (y)

FightingFigure said:
nice shots you got there. could be better without the car though, unless you were stood on the roof :D

ive done wirewool myself and also found a whisk to be utter rubbish for the exact same reason you had

since then i bought a bird feeder, pulled the top and bottom off, made a few cuts, folded the ends over,
secured it together with lengths from a wire coat hangar and made this

im yet to try it out but i bought some wirewool today, all i need to do is enlist an assistant to push go on the camera :)
as for focusing, if you have a torch put it where you intend to stand, zoom right in on it with your cameras live view not by twisting the lens itself, focus and zoom out again.
leave it on manual focus so it doesn't move and you're all set

Hoping to head out Fri for my first attempt at this.

Didn't even thing about a holder for the wire. Will have to try and sort something out.

Is it best to use the setting like I did for fireworks?

Infinity focus MF
2 sec shutter speed
100 ISO
Tungsten WB
f8

I will be using a 40d and 24-105.

When i use wire wool i go for a bird feeder to, works perfect, also if you want a quick burning faster spin, just clip your wool onto a Bulldog clip, the wool burns quicker and stops the center blowing out a bit

Hoping to head out Fri for my first attempt at this.

Didn't even thing about a holder for the wire. Will have to try and sort something out.

Is it best to use the setting like I did for fireworks?

Infinity focus MF
2 sec shutter speed
100 ISO
Tungsten WB
f8

I will be using a 40d and 24-105.
All the above but a 30 second shutter speed

give it a go, its easy and looks good but be aware they are hot sparks so cover up and make sure you dont set anything alight.

Back