My first grandchild

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Well folks my first grandchild is 4 days old today and I'm thinking of trying to take some proper pics with my camera instead of my phone
I have 7d mkii and I'm thinking my 50mm 1.8 I've also got a 24 - 105 and a 100 mm f2.8 L macro but would I be better off getting a 17mm- 55 mm f2.8 I've always fancied one anyway
Any any tips on photographing baby would be much appreciated im a keen hobbyist so I'm not expecting professional results but I try hard lol

Congrats on becoming a granddad :)

I can't offer too much advice other than take your time. I was worried about using flash on new borns (or nearly new borns ;)) not sure if this thread will help https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/safest-way-to-light-a-new-born.638575/

I used a studio flash in a softbox, taking suitable precautions to avoid accidents and fwiw all were shot on FX (Nikon full frame) and an 85mm lens so your 50mm should be fine - however I cannot think of a better excuse to get the 17-55 so :D ....

You'll be fine with the 50 & 100, that said on a crop you might want a bit wider than 50 for some stuff I suppose but can't really see what you'll gain waiting for or getting the 17-55. 24-105 should be more than wide enough for anything you'll shoot.

Shoot lots of details with the macro lens, fingers, lips, feet they'll never be that size again. Shoot some with a favourite teddy, it's cute but it also adds a scale reference when they look back it reinforces how tiny they are at this point.

Don't try to be too fancy there's lots of newborn guides focus on a couple of simple lying poses. If you have a nice basket or similar it's great for getting some on their back fill it with towels and a nice blanket on top and some side lying poses. You don't need fancy posing bean bags or the like but something to raise them slightly and keep them comfy is great, the main cushions off a couch or similar is excellent with a rolled up towel to prop them up if needed. If your posing them on blankets make sure to smooth them and pull them taught whilst photographing they can be a pain to fix in post. if there hands are in the shot try to spread the fingers out, rub your hands to warm them then gently massage them till they settle. Go really slow when your settling wee one in any pose as long as you go slow and gentle and don't get stressed babies are usually very compliant.

If using flash use biiiiiig soft source so ideally bounce it off a wall or through a sheet or diffuser and add a reflector or sheet to fill shadows if needed. If shooting natural light get as close to window as you can.

Get low and close when you're shooting, keep the room warm and get a white noise app on your phone, I use white noise baby on android which is free, it's supposed to help them sleep, not sure it does but it covers silences and makes pops and clicks from gear less likely to disturb the wee one.

If they have dry flaky skin a baby wipe dabbed gently will save retouching and keep lots of baby wipes handy for other issues. If you pose them nude you will get accidents.

oh and if you want some nice soft large blankets for shooting on bm bargains usually have a decent range cheap and a couple of a clamps and dining room chairs will make them into a nice seemless background.

Last edited:
Craig's pretty much covered it but I'd add:
  • Be prepared for it to take much much longer than you think - most of the time will be spent settling baby.
  • Safety is absolutely paramount - newborns are quite flexible but you must have a spotter at all times. We operate a 'one hand on' policy where there's at least one hand on baby at all times unless a shot is actually being taken - sometimes even then we opt for shooting more than one pic with hands supporting in different places so that you can create a composite without compromising safety. Babies startle and move all the time so be prepared.
  • 50 should be fine for shooting, along with the 100mm for macro.
  • Be sure to get some with mum & dad. A good simple pose is get one parent to hold one hand up by their cheek / shoulder and the other crossed over at waist height. Put baby in the cradle that's formed, with the head right up by parents' cheek and other hand firmly supporting baby's bum and legs - they can use this hand to strategically hold legs to cover bits. Bring other parent in on the side where baby's head is and get them to bring their arm around the arm holding baby, wrapping them all together. Heads lean in towards each other and look down at baby. Light high up at 45 degrees to the group and get up a little higher yourself to see baby.
  • Keep the room very warm - we get it to around 24 - 25 degrees. It's very warm for us but comfortable for a naked baby that can't yet regulate it's own body temperature.
  • If you feel like splashing out the Greater than Gatsby's newborn II actions for PS are great - everything you need to smooth skin and bring out details. If not, just make sure to use the heal & spot heal brush, along with patch & clone and reduce yellows for jaundice and reds for blotches.
  • Always focus on the closest eye and keep a shallow DoF
  • If using more than one background a good tip is to place them down in the order you want to use them (reversed!), and a spacer blanket in between as well as (this is the important part) a puppy training pad. This ensures that any accidents only go on the current blanket & spacer and not the whole lot.
Enjoy it and good luck! Please come back and show us the results.
Regards

Jim

Thanks everyone for the comments
any particular settings I should be aware of for the 7d mk ii [emoji20]

Be sure to get some with mum & dad. A good simple pose is get one parent to hold one hand up by their cheek / shoulder and the other crossed over at waist height. Put baby in the cradle that's formed, with the head right up by parents' cheek and other hand firmly supporting baby's bum and legs - they can use this hand to strategically hold legs to cover bits. Bring other parent in on the side where baby's head is and get them to bring their arm around the arm holding baby, wrapping them all together. Heads lean in towards each other and look down at baby. Light high up at 45 degrees to the group and get up a little higher yourself to see baby
Hi Jimm. Do you have a sample of this. ? Had a mooch on your site for a referance but didnt see one. That said I got way layed viewing the fab baby photos so may have missed it :)

Gaz

Here's one
Thanks Jim. Average is my middle name :)
I remember my Niece asking me to take some photos of there newborn. I did mange to get a few but nowhere near the quality you guys/gals produce. As it should be really as it isn't my occupation !
Also tried to get an image of Mum Dad and Baby but just couldn't get a natural looking image. Seemed to me that holding the baby in such a way as to look good to camera whilst keeping a connection with Mum and Dad is VERY difficult.

Gaz

Back