Safest way to light a new born?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Pretty much as the title says. All being well my niece will have her first child in November and we will be visiting just after Christmas. I'd really like to get some pics of the baby, niece and niece's mum and dad.

Really just want to know the safest way to light the baby. I'll be taking these at my sisters' house (nieces mum) which has reasonably sized rooms and above average room height (for modern houses). They also have a large conservatory which is heated so that too could be an option.

I suspect using a single flash in a softbox is the way to go, but will appreciate advice from and be guided by those that do this regularly.

TIA.

Pretty much as the title says. All being well my niece will have her first child in November and we will be visiting just after Christmas. I'd really like to get some pics of the baby, niece and niece's mum and dad.

Really just want to know the safest way to light the baby. I'll be taking these at my sisters' house (nieces mum) which has reasonably sized rooms and above average room height (for modern houses). They also have a large conservatory which is heated so that too could be an option.

I suspect using a single flash in a softbox is the way to go, but will appreciate advice from and be guided by those that do this regularly.

TIA.

Congratulations. But by christmas they won't be a new born anymore

Any photographic lighting will be perfectly safe.

TIA.
I did the same with my son Albie

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_rothwell/30612788675/in/dateposted-public/

30612788675_bb12498b9d_m.jpg

Safest way?

Windowlight. ;)

What gear do you have? Are you planning to buy? Rent?

Do you have experience of using studio lighting? Do you appreciate the physical risks involved?

At one time I did a fair bit of shooting new born children (minutes old), at the time I wondered about the risk of flash so I checked with two hospital pediatricians, both told me flash has no harmfull effect even on a really new born child. Indeed hospitals in many places take pictures of the newborn babies themselves for their records/safety and they use flash normally.
If you were going to take hundreds or thousands of pictures of a baby I might use a different light (natural maybe) but for the few dozen we take take flash isn't going to harm a baby in the least.

Safest way?

Windowlight. ;)
And I may use just natural light as my sister has a conservatory/garden/living room built in/on which is heated so ...

What gear do you have?
I own several manual flash guns, some stands/brollies/soft boxes. I have access to a huge amount of equipment though (I work for a TV & Film lighting rental company with a Photographic Rentals company in the group).

Are you planning to buy? Rent?
I intend to buy at some point, whether before or after I'm not sure just yet, as for renting ... I'll just borrow ;)

Do you have experience of using studio lighting?
Yes, but mainly on film sets

Do you appreciate the physical risks involved?
Yes, I believe so.

I don't do as much people shooting as I'd like and other than taking some natural light pics of my first grandchild I have zero experience of photographing babies/new bornbs/6 week olds ... and just wanted to check on using flash.

Appreciate the help :)

At one time I did a fair bit of shooting new born children (minutes old), at the time I wondered about the risk of flash so I checked with two hospital pediatricians, both told me flash has no harmfull effect even on a really new born child. Indeed hospitals in many places take pictures of the newborn babies themselves for their records/safety and they use flash normally.
If you were going to take hundreds or thousands of pictures of a baby I might use a different light (natural maybe) but for the few dozen we take take flash isn't going to harm a baby in the least.
That is very reassuring Wayne thank you.

Back