My first HDR Image - Newark Priory

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I have downloaded Photomatrix and would like some pointers on my first HDR image. The photo was taken using a Canon Powershot G11 in P with the aperture and focus fixed in bracketing mode. I took this handheld leaning up against a gate as I dont have a tripod. I combined 2 jpeg images, however I now realise I should of taken the shot using RAW mode. I might go back there another time soon to retake.

Please forgive the watermarks as I am still deciding whether or not to buy photomatrix.

5207812804_604ed8af06_b.jpg

I am really looking at pointers at my composition and the HDR conversion.

I won't comment on HDR as I know little about it other than I usually dislike the effects :confused:

In your composition the title led me to believe the Priory would be the point of interest but in fact there is a large and rather dull field taking up the majority of the real estate of the image. the colour looks rater saturated also, possibly in an attempt to make the small object that is the priory? Stand out?

I cannot see anything in focus and at first thought the birds were weird artifacts.

The sky is very dark and looks like it had the potential to be interesting. Now I feel cruel :(

A précis would be, get closer to subject and make sure that it is in focus and remember the rule of thirds.

Sorry if I'm too harsh

I can only agree with the above, although i do like HDR, when performed in the right way for the subject.

The composition here is not good its always nice to have somthing that draws one into the photo but here there is far to much foreground, it would have been far better to get closer or at least make a crop on this one.
The sky seems to have lost its colour. Sometimes using the "Exposure Blending" in photomatix can be far more benificial.

The process shows one of the main faults with using photomatix, the gamma is far to high, a little black would have helped.

Bracketing should always be done with a tripod, if its going to be hand held then raw is your best bet, as i think you have now realised...

Hope that doesn't hurt, Just my opinion...

Last edited:
I have to agree with the above, to get the most out of the technique the priory would have to sit more imposing in the shot and then the technique should bring out the detail and texture of the stonework. If you want to improve this particular shot then a heavy crop up to the base of the first bush would help.

Thanks for your messages

In your composition the title led me to believe the Priory would be the point of interest but in fact there is a large and rather dull field taking up the majority of the real estate of the image. the colour looks rater saturated also, possibly in an attempt to make the small object that is the priory? Stand out?

The idea behind the composition was to make the Priory look small but to have a dark and moody sky.

I cannot see anything in focus and at first thought the birds were weird artifacts.

I think this is due to my HDR skills, as the originals are in focus. It also may be due to the shot being taken handheald so when combined it loses focus.

The sky is very dark and looks like it had the potential to be interesting. Now I feel cruel

The sky was very over cast that day, only when I completed the HDR did some cloud formation appear.

Dont worry I dont find your comments harsh or cruel! I'm here to learn, so your comments are welcome

The composition here is not good its always nice to have somthing that draws one into the photo but here there is far to much foreground, it would have been far better to get closer or at least make a crop on this one.
The sky seems to have lost its colour. Sometimes using the "Exposure Blending" in photomatix can be far more benificial.

The process shows one of the main faults with using photomatix, the gamma is far to high, a little black would have helped.

Bracketing should always be done with a tripod, if its going to be hand held then raw is your best bet, as i think you have now realised...

Hope that doesn't hurt, Just my opinion...

No, thanks!

I will go back here at some point and will take some more photos. I think I need to invest in a tripod. Thanks for your comments

OK I have just done a couple of really quick crop and touch up. I have lightened the picture and have taken a crop of the foreground, is this an improvement?

Crop 1

5208506543_abd57a1ee1_b.jpg

Crop 2

5208511145_48c4305405_b.jpg

Personally I think I like Crop 1 better.

I feel the first crop( crop1) looks much better. crop, saturation and contrast has given the image some punch, the sky is still questionable, but it does look better overall.

I would be visiting this area again, especialy some nice close ups of the abbey, along with some HDR to B & W process.

Thanks for all your comments.

I would like to go again but unfortunately this is as near to the Priory I am legally allowed to go. The owner of the land uses it for grazing cows and has put up 'KEEP OUT' signs everywhere. I am tempted to try and get there for a sunrise though, as the sunrises up and over the abbey at the right angle.

Thanks again for your comments.

The first crop is the best by far - just turn down the saturation a bit and it'll be looking very good indeed. Nice first effort....

As others have pointed out, there are some problems with composition. I want to comment on the HDR side - HDR from RAW files is only pseudo-HDR, I suggest (if you ever try again) you should do it with 3 bracketed shots at -2,0,+2EV to achieve a better range for post-processing (hence the "range" bit in HDR). The outcome still pretty much depends largely on the object of the photo and what you actually do in Photomatix as well.

Back