Beginner My first share

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I purchased my 1st DSLR, a Nikon D3200, in May last year to pretty much to document my baby daughter growing up. I knew nothing about photography and honestly thought by now it would be in a cupboard gathering dust and we'd continue shoving an IPhone in her face at every opportune moment. I didn't realise I'd catch the bug and that I'd find a great hobby that I love. I've had lots of hobbies before, but never have I felt such a desire to learn and improve. The unusual thing so far is that it's an hobby that allows you to spend more time with family. I'm sure there are some 'photography widows' that might disagree with this.

This has to be one of my favourite photos so far, yet I'm beginning to see its faults.
Untitled
The thing is I don't care, but I want to be better. This was a ad-hoc photoshoot of in her 1st Birthday outfit in our Dining Room (now Bethany's play room) shot using a 35mm f1.8. It was post-bath and pre-book&bed (hence the bags under her eyes). My own critique is: its not sharp, white balance is off (I think), I've chopped off her fingers & feet and her dolly in half and her clothes are the same colours as the background. This is all made better by her great smile.

This photo has made me learn so much in the month since it was taken. Please critique and maybe suggest changes I could make if I was to re-shoot a similar photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well firstly, congratulations you've done 2 great jobs here:

1. Capturing that gorgeous smile
2. Realising most of what you did wrong.

So, what to do about the mistakes:

Either change the White balance before you shoot, or learn a little about shooting Raw, but you could probably make some improvement in your processing software.

Always be aware of what's near the edge of the frame, being a foot further back would have caught all the extremities, or indeed a longer lens to create a closer shot.

The sharpness? It's difficult to tell at this size, but keep your shutter speed up, which might mean using flash.

The room lighting though... It's creating dark eyes, you really should be thinking about working with light to make your images work properly, whilst the smile almost saves this, we are drawn to eyes, make sure you're making the best of them. Again flash would be a help, but you need to read up on how to use it (there's more to flash than attaching it to your camera)

The alternative to using flash of course is to use window light, which requires a bit more planning, but the results can be worth it.

Welcome aboard Richard. I'm a new member too, here to learn and share my journey. You've got a lovely little model to work with, and as you've already spotted the mistakes, your already doing somthing right. Well done fella.

Thanks guys for your comments.

Now I think about it, I've never really had to think much about shooting in low/un-natural light so this was a first. My subject is usually in bed when it's getting dark, hence I've steered away from using flash so far. I'll definitely look into using flash, I've read enough to know that the pop-up flash is best not used. So a flash may be the next thing to add to my bag. I'm filling my bag on a shoestring as I'm a bit of a skinflint, so I'm always looking at well recommended budget equipment. I figure it'll be a long time before I realise the limitations of my camera and other equipment. So far I've bought new at budget/discount prices, but wont rule out 2nd hand.

Sharpness wise, I learnt recently that I was perhaps using the wrong AF for photographing portraits of my daughter. I've always left it on AF-A and this particular tip suggested using AF-C for children. Of the photos I've taken since there does seem to be more sharpness in the eyes. I've tended to shoot in Aperture mode, as she's quite a poser. I've tended to dial aperture right down to 1.8 to get the blurry backgrounds, a tip I've learnt on this forum in the last couple of days is that 2.2 is just that bit more forgiving.

I've just started looking into post processing using Lightroom. which has led me to now shoot Raw. I'm putting a '1st Birthday' photo book together which is giving me good insight and forcing me to put the time in. I've found this forces me to critique my photos to a level which I hadn't been doing previously. This can only help with 'camera in hand'. I've had a go with this photo to fix some issues, but I've found myself limited as her pose doesn't really lend itself to further cropping. Unfortunately I can't upload my attempt because the Flikr share pop-up window isn't opening properly. I'll have to look into another method.

I forgot to mention the eyes. Her eyes are the brightest blue (as you can see in my avatar) and this photo does not do them justice. My wife had the photo turned into a canvas for a surprise Christmas box. Unfortunately the canvas came out even darker, but it still looks great on the wall as her expression makes it.

I feel this one is better composed (no missing body parts). Also because she's standing up, a table lamp to her left catches her face nicely. Still dark eyes though, especially her right eye. Is this where a reflector might be used, to reflect that same light to the r/h side of her face? I'll have a go in post processing to see if I can get the same effect using lighten.

Also, perhaps cropped above her head and tighter to her back? Suggestions are appreciated, as these will find there way into the photo book. Thanks.

image.jpg

Last edited:
It's a shame that your daughters clothes are very similar in colour to the back ground. Not your fault, sometimes it's just the way it is when taking impromptu shots.

This second take is quite sweet Richard!
A tweak to the WB and the histogram…
It's a shame that your daughters clothes are very similar in colour to the back ground
In this case, not so sure! There are some plus and minus both ways.
In any case, better to appreciate when the tweaks are done!

Amazing, thanks BigYin. This gives me a yardstick on which to base my own edits.

On my 2nd pic, I think the pink crown just breaks the colours up a touch. But at the time I never even considered the colours. All part of the learning curve I guess.

On a separate note, she's taken her 1st unaided steps tonight (cue 1st steps photo). So I'm one proud dad.

white balance is key! Especially indoors, usually got those warm yellows which can be nice, but for me do not look natural.

Another comment on the second photo, it may have been better if you are eye level with your daughter? Try this and see what the difference looks like from shooting eye level and shooting 'down' at her.

Try this and see what the difference looks like from shooting eye level and shooting 'down' at her.

Right!

…as for now, he is shooting like a proud father…
contamination pending!

Thanks Mikee, more great advice. For this Halloween shot, I was on my knees and yes I can see the difference it would have made. It's another favourite of mine, but have just noticed I've chopped her right hand off. On a plus side there's no colour clash. image.jpeg

Thanks Mikee, more great advice. For this Halloween shot, I was on my knees and yes I can see the difference it would have made. It's another favourite of mine, but have just noticed I've chopped her right hand off. On a plus side there's no colour clash. View attachment 55463

Best to get used to being on your knees, your bum, your belly. Much more flattering and interesting angles to be had with kids when you shoot from low down (to match where they usually are and at their head height).

This shot has much better colour, with more natural looking skin tones. Mark's a bit too magenta on my phone (that may be why). This is the best of the three posted so far.

Lovely looking girl, Richard - some very happy expressions caught - great edit by Mark but with some studying you'll reach this standard before too long, Richard.

Back