My first studio shoot

this will proably do better in the photo critique seciton lisa.

and it seems that if you put pics up rather than a link you usually get a better response.

i'm by no means an expert having never done a studio shoot but i like the pics!

I am doing my 1st shoot in a couple of weeks argh!!!

I like your shots. I am no-where near experience enough to offer your any crit, but I do like your shots :)

got my first studio shoot on the 30th :eek:
doesn't make things any better.... I'm shooting a well known model.... hope she doesn't have high expectations :LOL:

My main comments would be that the model is too close to the background and the focal length used is too short. I don't know what size of room you were working in - but you need a lot more space.

I like them, the only thing I would change is the model is a bit too close to the background

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies!! Advice taken on board, I dont have much space really, could go back a few feet, so will give that a go next time!!

Good luck with your shoots!

post images not a big set for more in depth crit ;)

from skimming half a dozen images or so I have a few things:

take the background outside and burn it (not a joke do it)

exposures are nice on all the ones I looked at but the light is a bit safe, even and flat, this is personal work in the studio so go nuts and try to get some interesting things happening, think about shadows and where you want them, which is one of the things that makes this shot nice, the shadows add depth and the bg is a bit further away and flatter

a technical issue is with glasses light bounces off at the opposite angle to the one it came in on, so work to avoid it bouncing from into your camera to avoid this issue DH explains it better than me

guessing from interfit lights and tight space that this is a home studio? means you can keep experimenting, work shooting a lot to learn how to control the light from your modifers to get shadows where you want them :D

What flash technique did you use Lisa ? - i like the exposure you've achieved here.

Back