my macro rig + pics (picture heavy)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

as most of you know im quite enjoying macro work at the moment.

i beleive a large factor of good macro shots is down to the light source, wheather this be the sun, flash or both.

i like to use flash most of the time for macro, mostly for fill in flash but sometimes its essential when there isn't enough ambient light.
one of the biggest problems i found was getting the flash gun in the right position. So i went about making a flash bracket, this being my second attempt. the first was made from solid aluminum and could hold two flash guns either side of the lens, it worked well in getting light onto the subject but as you can imagine it was very heavy and cumbersome to use.

so i went back to the drawing board and came up with this much more simple but effective design.

As you can see its a simple L shape, made from laminated cross core birch ply.

dsc0002xno.jpg

it has two cut outs for fixing the flash gun bracket and another for fixing the camera

flashbracket02.jpg

I made the slots long so the height of the flash can be adjusted, the bracket can also be moved forwards and backwards from the camera.

flashbracket03.jpg

4/ sorry for bad pics had to use my phone for this part.
you can see how the bracket can be moved in any direction around the camera.

flashbracket04.jpg

Here's how i normaly have the flash

flashbracket05.jpg

flashbracket06.jpg

flashbracket07.jpg

flashbracket08.jpg

Because the bracket is laminated its extreamly strong so holds the flash gun comfortably, its also very very light, it weights about the same as my mac 3 razor.

The hardest part of the whole bracket was getting the 1/4 inch whitworth threads, As i believe whitworth threads were the old english standard, started in the 18th centry, they have been superseeded now by a new thread pattern but any good nut and bolt shop will still have them.

thats pretty much all there is to it.

any ways onto the pics. as always C+C is encouraged

Very good post, all seems to work really well and some great shots in amongst it all too. (y)

Oh my god, I am in love with number 7. That is a fantastic picture. Beautiful.

edited to say: The rest are great too.

thanks for your comments guys.

each stirp of ply is 1.5mm thick, several bits are glued back and front, stuck together then put into a former/jig which i also made. the jig is then pushed together by cramps. when the glue has cured the shape holds. once the shape is formed the slots are machined and the ends rounded. i gave it a quick sand and a spray with some laqure, cut it back and gave it a quick wax. gives it a nice feel.
simple eh :)

Last edited:
The photographs are excellent. You flash bracket is very well crafted, but wouldn't it be easier to mount the flashgun on a tripod?

famas: What lens is that you're using? I'm just looking at macro lenses and as your pics are some of the best I've seen I thought it would be good to know ;)

A well thought out and informative post............and an ingenious set up(y)

The macro shots aint too shabby either:clap:

thanks for your comments guys.

each stirp of ply is 1.5mm thick, several bits are glued back and front, stuck together then put into a former/jig which i also made. the jig is then pushed together by cramps. when the glue has cured the shape holds. once the shape is formed the slots are machined and the ends rounded. i gave it a quick sand and a spray with some laqure, cut it back and gave it a quick wax. gives it a nice feel.
simple eh :)

brilliant set up and great photos, i would love one of these for my setup, you could make a nice profit selling to us less diy'able peeps (hint, hint :wave:)

Well done YOU and a brilliant set of photographs Put me on the list when your selling (y) :clap: :clap:

Lovely pics and setup. Love how it's sharp yet colours are deep and saturated

Back