My new HP pc

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
After reinstalling things on this pc that i lost on my old one i have some queries if anyone can help.
So my c drive is an ssd drive with 118GB, 30GB free which has my win 10 & some programes & other things on it,an odd game or so.
My d drive is Data D:2.71TB, 2.56TB free,my question is if i download more to my c drive as that is where programes usually go,how to use the D:drive for that & would programes run from there.
I hope i have explained it all.:)

After reinstalling things on this pc that i lost on my old one i have some queries if anyone can help.
So my c drive is an ssd drive with 118GB, 30GB free which has my win 10 & some programes & other things on it,an odd game or so.
My d drive is Data D:2.71TB, 2.56TB free,my question is if i download more to my c drive as that is where programes usually go,how to use the D:drive for that & would programes run from there.
I hope i have explained it all.:)

I presume you mean downloading via a browser such as Internet Explorer or Edge?
You can change the default download path in the browsers settings.
When you install software you will have a choice as to where to install it so if you wanted to run applications on the D drive then all you need to do is create a folder on it called 'Applications' (or whatever you want to name it) the install them there. Most sofware will create its own folder in the root dir.

the browser i use is mostly firefox,the thing is i am not sure if i download a program or application to the D: drive will it install & run from there ok.:thinking:

Thanks guys,just downloaded a programe to D: & ran it no problem,brilliant.:):banana:

AFAIK and my experience goes the downloading is the straightforward part and I have a dedicated folder with subfolders for the downloaded files from which I can run the installation s.

I have a multi HDD system and like to install software where I want and that is not on the C drive. Almost all the software I have installed allows me to do that I.e. as part of the installation process I can pick the destination drive & folder. NB all bar very few will install application data into the appropriate folder on the C drive . However, a few (to my slight annoyance) do not allow a choice of destination and only target the C drive, programs folder.

Last edited:
Well so far so good.:)

just remember any program installed to D will run slower than if installed on the SSD.
Yes but if i put more programs on my C: drive i am going to run out of space.

buy a bigger SSD and replace it, or uninstall some apps. 100Gb should be good for a Windows install plus a handful of apps. Not sure of the constant requirement to download and run apps?

Download and run something like Spacemounger and see whats using the space if needs be. Might be that a W10 update has left old files behind (will do in case of rollback for 14 days).

Last edited:
Well it is a brand new pc,so i will run it for a while & see how it works out.:)

So am i right in thinking that any 8GB memory ram like in the specs here would fit,any help appreciated.:)
Technical specifications for HP Pavilion 570-p059na Desktop PC - White
OVERVIEW
Type Desktop
Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)
PERFORMANCE
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-7400 Processor
- Quad-core
- 3 GHz / 3.5 GHz (Turbo Boost)
- 6 MB cache
RAM 8 GB DDR4
Storage - 3 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
- 128 GB SSD
Motherboard Intel® H270
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 3168
- 1x1
- Up to 433 Mbps
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.2
USB - USB 3.0 x 4
- USB 2.0 x 2
Video connections - HDMI x 1
- VGA x 1
Audio connections 3.5 mm jack
Other connections - Microphone in
- RJ-45
- Headphone/microphone combo
- External drive bays: one occupied
MEDIA
Disc drive DVD/RW
Memory card reader 3-in-1 memory card reader
Expansion card slot - M.2 x 1
- PCIe M.2 x 1
SOUND
Audio software HP Audio
FEATURES
Mouse / trackpad USB optical mouse
Keyboard USB keyboard
POWER
PSU 180 W

That thing must have so much bloatware if you only have 30gb free on a new 128gb SSD.

Well i did not know about the ssd drive to start with,so there are some games & programes on there,but now i have started putting things on my D: drive:):banana:

Still looking for any help on the memory ram thing.:D

Last edited:
So am i right in thinking that any 8GB memory ram like in the specs here would fit,any help appreciated.:)
Technical specifications for HP Pavilion 570-p059na Desktop PC - White
OVERVIEW
Type Desktop
Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)
PERFORMANCE
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-7400 Processor
- Quad-core
- 3 GHz / 3.5 GHz (Turbo Boost)
- 6 MB cache
RAM 8 GB DDR4
Storage - 3 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
- 128 GB SSD
Motherboard Intel® H270
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 3168
- 1x1
- Up to 433 Mbps
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.2
USB - USB 3.0 x 4
- USB 2.0 x 2
Video connections - HDMI x 1
- VGA x 1
Audio connections 3.5 mm jack
Other connections - Microphone in
- RJ-45
- Headphone/microphone combo
- External drive bays: one occupied
MEDIA
Disc drive DVD/RW
Memory card reader 3-in-1 memory card reader
Expansion card slot - M.2 x 1
- PCIe M.2 x 1
SOUND
Audio software HP Audio
FEATURES
Mouse / trackpad USB optical mouse
Keyboard USB keyboard
POWER
PSU 180 W

Sorry what is the question???

You have listed the full spec of an HP PC, is that the one you have bought?

All too many times I have over the years read of the likes of HP making it awkward to upgrade/improve their PC's

DDR4 ram is mentioned and it was my understanding that DDR type ram played nicely when installed in matched pairs (but I found ref to one different spec HP that said it has a single stick of DDR4 ram installed but a second DIMM was available)

Therefore subject to the spec of your PC and what is actually installed (maybe two sticks of 4GB each filling 2 available DIMM sockets) also exactly what is the max ram the motherboard will take........again HP used to use quite bespoke motherboards and were coy about publishing details of just what end users could do to improve them.

It has one 8GB ram installed & one empty slot,so will any 8gb do for the other slot.

It has one 8GB ram installed & one empty slot,so will any 8gb do for the other slot.

As a new HP I would ask them for how much a stick of 8GB ram costs...........should you have an issue they (surely?) cannot reject support requests.

Rather than buying a single (any source) ram I would replace the current with a pair such crucial here

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-570-p059na#memoryResults

I am still puzzled that they used one stick in a single slot because as mentioned it is my understanding DDR needs (works best) to be used in pairs!

Last edited:
Have a look at the Crucial website. The last time I was looking for memory, they told me exactly what was compatible.

Have a look at the Crucial website. The last time I was looking for memory, they told me exactly what was compatible.
Er! See above link in my post ;)

Oh, and FWIW I use crucial :) the odd foray into using another brand I had an odd issue that took a while to resolve and turned out to be one stick of 4 with an intermittent fault :(

Last edited:
cheers for that.:)

Er! See above link in my post ;)

Oh, and FWIW I use crucial :) the odd foray into using another brand I had an odd issue that took a while to resolve and turned out to be one stick of 4 with an intermittent fault :(

Note to self, read threads more carefully!

At least we were consistent with the advice.

Note to self, read threads more carefully!

At least we were consistent with the advice.

You & me both on the first line of your reply.........as for the second line :)

Got the crucial site bookmarked,cheers for that.:)

DDR ram can run ok in a single unit, it does run faster when in a matched pairs but it will not cause any functional issues.
it generally also depends on the mother board, if it only has two slots then each slot will be treated as a bank and functions on its own.
motherboards that have 4 slots have two banks of two slots and then the memory must match exactly in the banks.

DDR ram can run ok in a single unit, it does run faster when in a matched pairs but it will not cause any functional issues.
it generally also depends on the mother board, if it only has two slots then each slot will be treated as a bank and functions on its own.
motherboards that have 4 slots have two banks of two slots and then the memory must match exactly in the banks.
Cheers for that,at the moment it is actually running quite well with the existing ram,i have got rid of some of the bloatware on it,running well.:):banana:

Cheers for that,at the moment it is actually running quite well with the existing ram,i have got rid of some of the bloatware on it,running well.:):banana:

I'm sure you will have already thought of this but make a backup of the new SSD before you start removing HP specific software just in case it stops functioning and you need to reinstall something - just a suggestion :)

Thanks for that,yes i did a complete backup of the SSD drive before that.:)

Back