My new site name

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I've met a few people who get confused with my site name, even though I personally think its quite easy. http://petemc.net. Its not really that complex but some people say pete mc, not pete m c. Plus telling people my email address of pete AT petemc.net gets them confused too. So I'm trying to come up with a new site. I'll be marketing this one as more of the professional site rather than just the every day photoblog site. I think theres too many images on my photoblog for prospective clients to browse through so I need a fancy site that says who I am, what I do and shows the best of what I've done. Now heres the problem. My current thoughts for a new site name is "Monkey Hat". Its a bit quirky and should hopefully stick in peoples minds. Why Monkey Hat? I wear a hat with a monkey on all the time. So if I meet someone on the street and give them my card I think the name will stick with them. I can also do funky branding on the card to also emphasise it. The only problem I have is whether "the suits" and older people will get it. I've got the feeling that theres plenty of people in the photography world who prefer the classic approach of something like "www.petercarrphotography.com". While it doesn't quite stick in your mind from the next guy "www.jimbojonesphotography.com" it might appear more "professional" to them.

Also, I suppose there might be a bit of a legal issue in making a site based on someone elses artwork. I wouldn't use the image of my hat on the site as a logo, and I guess "Monkey Hat" is quite generic enough to be ok. I'm not really sure where I would stand on that.

I just want something snappy and easy to remeber. Something that will stick in peoples minds. I'll give them my card, they'll look at it and go "Monkey Hat??" and look at me, see the hat and go "Ahhh". It should hopefully stand out a bit more than everyone else. I already have the site, www.keyboardcowboy.net but thats more of my web design portfolio.

Yes? No? Burn the idea for the good of mankind? :)

Hmmm. Not sure about that Pete - not sure it generates the right image at all. People have a stereotype image of photographers, I'm sure they expect them to be very professional above all, but they have this image of a slick trendy type, and I'm not sure Monkey Hat fits in with that. In the end you'll be judged by your work whatever you call yourself,, but getting off the ground initially, that name might be a hindrance?

Just my gut reaction, I could be way wrong. :wink:

Yer thats exactly what I was thinking. You see a lot of professionals who have "www.bobsmith.com". But then, there are plenty of professional web design companys out there, very big ones, with completly random names. I feel like I need have something that is instantly recognizable, that stands out and gets rememebred. There are so many photographers these days that I need something people can easily remeber. I'm terrible with remembering people's names after meeting them for the first time, but remebering something kinda quirky is easier. I think thats the way the brain works too. Doing memory excercises like rememebring a shopping list, its best to associate the items on the list with funny images to make a story.

Try to think of something that relates to cameras/photography which is snappy, apt and easy to remember. I used to have a site for my restoration stuff called second-shot.com. You get the connection? I had to put the hyphen in because without it there was a firearm place using that name. :LOL: Much better than going with just your name.

Try writing down a list of all the words you instantly associate with photography - shot - snap - click - shoot - film - shutter yadda yadda, the more the merrier, then jiggle around with the permutations. Perhaps add in another list of words indicative of the type of stuff you intend to do? Mix the lot together and play around with the possibilities.

CT said:
Try to think of something that relates to cameras/photography which is snappy, apt and easy to remember. I used to have a site for my restoration stuff called second-shot.com. You get the connection? I had to put the hyphen in because without it there was a firearm place using that name. :LOL: Much better than going with just your name.

Try writing down a list of all the words you instantly associate with photography - shot - snap - click - shoot - film - shutter yadda yadda, the more the merrier, then jiggle around with the permutations. Perhaps add in another list of words indicative of the type of stuff you intend to do? Mix the lot together and play around with the possibilities.

But they're such a cliche :) We've got a client we've done a website for that is called "Hot Shots Photography". The funny thing is that after he left we noticed that on my mug it says "Hot Shots Photographer". Now, did he pick the name before he came to the meeting or just there and then off my mug? :)

I was thinking maybe shuttermonkey and someone else suggested shutterjunkie.

How about PeteBlog? :D

shutterjunkies would be cool, or maybe something along those lines, i think sometimes photography names are boring, i wanted something different for my site and got newimagery, i also have mattsphotograhy, but thats cos Matt got Mattsphotos, lol...i also have picturesforsale, but thats another story....

Pete, when i set up as a pro, i already had a web design company with a quirky name Canary Dwarf, so I went for simply marchindley.co.uk for my photography. I also have scot-shots, but not done anything with that yet, but may become a scottish press pic agency one day.

Photographers are artists and artists are recognised by their style and their name. Personally i think your name is your best option.

Annoyingly someone already has my name :) I'm currently thinking, sixbyfour.net or thewiderangle.com.

petemc said:
Annoyingly someone already has my name :) I'm currently thinking, sixbyfour.net or thewiderangle.com.

I would have to agree with Neo on this subject, if you where setting it up to be a buisness for yourself then the funkier names would be more suitable, however as its a site dedicated to selling you and showing you as being professional then your name (or a version of it) is the best route in my opinion.

I would also be cautious about mentioning all your proposed names on public forums as there will be people that might think thats a great name and then register it for themselves. I have known this happen in the past. Sad but true.

Steve said:
petemc said:

I would have to agree with Neo on this subject, if you where setting it up to be a buisness for yourself then the funkier names would be more suitable, however as its a site dedicated to selling you and showing you as being professional then your name (or a version of it) is the best route in my opinion.

I would also be cautious about mentioning all your proposed names on public forums as there will be people that might think thats a great name and then register it for themselves. I have known this happen in the past. Sad but true.

Yer thats something I was thinking about, but at the same time I need peoples opinons on the names :) Catch 22 :D

I could always get carrphotography.net, but I would always have to say "2 r's".

petemc said:
Yer thats something I was thinking about, but at the same time I need peoples opinons on the names :) Catch 22 :D

You could always throw up loaqds of names in the hope that they wont be able to afford to register them all ;) but its a sad reflection of our times that we have to be cautious in this way.

Can you not play around with your initials/name and "photos", "photography", "images" etc as well as co.uk, net, com's util you find something that you are happy with and is available?

Steve said:
petemc said:

You could always throw up loaqds of names in the hope that they wont be able to afford to register them all ;) but its a sad reflection of our times that we have to be cautious in this way.

Can you not play around with your initials/name and "photos", "photography", "images" etc as well as co.uk, net, com's util you find something that you are happy with and is available?

I could get petermcarr.com. Thats free. Its a bit long winded though.

petecarr.com, petercarr.com or any of the other domains .co.uk etc You don’t even need to photography/images etc included in there as you can include that on your business card.

That would give you a very short name that when backed up with a great initial fist impression and excellent portfolio should be easy to remember. Design a great logo and make it prominent on both your business card and website to tie it all together and you should be onto a winner?

It depends what you shoot, and who your clients are. I know in the fashion arena, being quirky works... in advertising, it doesn't. Either way... If your work kicks ass... it shouldn't matter too much... after all, silly names for web sites aren't really a new thing... there's a little heard of website you may have heard of... I think it's called GOOGLE... they're doing OK.

At the end of the day, being original pays... as it makes you stand out from the rest of the sheep.

Right. I've got petecarr.co.uk, petermcarr.com and sixbyfour.net :) I think I'll just point them all to my site until I decide which route to go down. Everyone has told me different things. Don't go with "monkey", do go with "monkey", don't go with your name, do go with your name :D

Since you have bought all those and intend pointing them at one site for now, it would be a shame to miss out on nthe quirky name as well. If it was me I would be tempted to buy your "Monkey Hat" name so as not to miss out.

Back