My next exhibition - Millscapes at Saddleworth Museum and Art Gallery

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
full

It's been a couple of years since my last one, but I've been a trifle busy since then!

I took these photographs back in 2007 of two mills in the Saddleworth area - Wellington Mill (demolished and now the site of a Tesco) and Bailey Mill (burnt down) and approached the museum some time ago about the possibility of an exhibition of the photographs. At the time, the museum was just about to close for refurbishment, but fast forward a couple of years and the refurbishment was complete so I asked again and my exhibition opens Saturday (11th November). It's a cracking little museum in a lovely part of the world, and the gallery space is pretty big.

full

There's no big idea behind it, just my monochrome images of the last days of these two old derelict mills, plus some historical images kindly supplied by the museum. I was still finding my way in photography at the time and I did struggle a little to find enough from the two sets of images to put together a cohesive collection, but I'm quite proud of it now that it's on the wall! I've managed to blow up four of these old Nikon D70 images to about A2 size with help from some resizing software. Sure, they're not as good as what I'd get off my D810, but a 36MP camera was only a pipedream in 2007!

:)

Excellent work and well done on the exhibition. There's so much work into putting one on that you just don't realise until you do one.

Excellent!
I live in Dobcross, so I'll be getting down there.
I managed to get some images from Bailey mill before it's unfortunate demise! but only from the ground floor section.
Are you local Andy?

Thanks, hope you enjoy it! I’m in Chorley, so not particularly local!

Excellent work and well done on the exhibition. There's so much work into putting one on that you just don't realise until you do one.

Thanks, yes exhibitions are a huge amount of work. This is my fourth, so at least I had the experience of the previous ones to draw on, but as they are different pictures there’s still all the processing, printing, mounting, framing to do, as well as the publicity, emailing, writing, layout, hanging. I didn’t do captions this time, which saved me time and hassle!

Thanks, yes exhibitions are a huge amount of work. This is my fourth, so at least I had the experience of the previous ones to draw on, but as they are different pictures there’s still all the processing, printing, mounting, framing to do, as well as the publicity, emailing, writing, layout, hanging. I didn’t do captions this time, which saved me time and hassle!

I think we'd all like to read a detailed post from you about the actual nuts & bolts of putting on an exhibition from the initial approach to how to best display etc... it's only a subtle hint! :)

I think we'd all like to read a detailed post from you about the actual nuts & bolts of putting on an exhibition from the initial approach to how to best display etc... it's only a subtle hint! :)

That’s a great idea, it’ll be rather long though! I’ll see what I can do.

Well done. Now that you've done all the hard work you could offer the same exhibition to other galleries. Might be worth a try?

Thanks! After my first exhibition I offered it for show to a museum, but they wanted something more focussed, so I modified it for them. Once that had been exhibited, I then offered it to another museum who showed it as was. I offered it to the current museum but they wanted more local pictures so I obliged. I’ve found that having a large body of work and the willingness to be flexible is invaluable!

I doubt in its current format it would appeal beyond the local area, but that’s fine as I’ve still got the mounted prints from previous ones so can slip them back into the frames and offer it elsewhere!

Back