My Nikon 80-200 just arrived....and I want to play with it!

Edit My Images
No
Well my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 just arrived and it is minty mint with a brand new hood and a fantastic case for it http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...tail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=37246&is=REG which I assume must have been an extra.

Lens is certainly a chunky bit of kit but I can't really give it a good try as it is now dark :crying: However I cannot believe that even indoors with just a couple of 11w low energy bulbs I could take shots with it at 1600ISO and they are still pretty damn sharp (the one below was shot handheld (with a lot of shake on my part!!!) 1/10s f2.8 so I can't wait to see what it can do in decent light :clap:

3328431679_1b92f4b0ee.jpg

mine came with a case like that so they must be standard,wait until you see what it can do at f/2.8 in daylight, you won't be disappointed

mine came with a case like that so they must be standard,wait until you see what it can do at f/2.8 in daylight, you won't be disappointed

Oh thats cool then, just looked and they retail at around $125 :eek:

And a quick shot in daylight (well indoors daylight anyway) do love the f2.8 DOF :love:

3330465561_dd8084ebc5.jpg

Has that got the crinkly finish like the 180mm f2.8, a proper camera lens finish ;)

Nice lens the 80-200, the one I would go for if I needed that range.

Enjoy your new addition:)

The case is standard with the 80-200, but they charge extra for the lens hood :bang:

It's a brilliant lens, I loved mine, if it had been just a tad faster on AF I wouldn't have parted with it.

I just received my 80-200mm - what a lovely lens! Great build and finish, optics aren't bad either! :clap:

I just received my 80-200mm - what a lovely lens! Great build and finish, optics aren't bad either! :clap:

I really prefer the finish on these older lens - I really notice that on the 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S I just got.

OK, thinking too much about finish and build is rediculously shallow I'll admit, but I much prefer the older lenses, before they went all sleak and super smooth :LOL:

It did thanks and a cracking lens it is too.........(y)

Just got an 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D to match my 28-70 f/2.8 AF-D build wise.

What a STUNNING lens - absolutely tack sharp wide open, and the AF speed is amazing for a motor-driven lens. First time I've seen the "two touch" version, and OMG.

Instant love :love:

Nice, isn't it Andy. :)

Superb - the focusing on the D700 is soooo quick. Probably 20x faster than the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 I had for a bit, focus speed wise for context, and maybe 90% as fast as the 70-200 VR for focusing.

Its also quite light for an f/2.8 as well. And it has the older style black "armourlite" build which I like as well ;)

How does it fair 'optically' against the 70-200mm VR?

I too, am impressed by the focus speed....it balances very well on the D700 too. :)

How does it fair 'optically' against the 70-200mm VR?

I too, am impressed by the focus speed....it balances very well on the D700 too. :)

As far as I can see, the difference isn't worth mentioning. If anything it has a hair less vignetting, and better extreme corner sharpness.

Its tack sharp. Can't fault it optically.

As far as I can see, the difference isn't worth mentioning. If anything it has a hair less vignetting, and better extreme corner sharpness.

Its tack sharp. Can't fault it optically.

Good stuff, thanks for that. :)

one thing to watch for, none of the nikon TC's will work with this lens. i found that out the hard way but luckily the camera store took it back. this lens is an afd lens, the TC's are for afs lenses. you could go with kenko, not too sure if sigma makes a tc that will work.

Just got an 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D to match my 28-70 f/2.8 AF-D build wise.

What a STUNNING lens - absolutely tack sharp wide open, and the AF speed is amazing for a motor-driven lens. First time I've seen the "two touch" version, and OMG.

Instant love :love:

Can't believe I had a lens before you ;) It really is a great lens though, certainly won't be moving this one along for a while!!

one thing to watch for, none of the nikon TC's will work with this lens. i found that out the hard way but luckily the camera store took it back. this lens is an afd lens, the TC's are for afs lenses. you could go with kenko, not too sure if sigma makes a tc that will work.

It works fine with the Kenko, I found out after I sold my 1.4 and then had to buy another to try it out :bonk:

Back