My pet hate has to be.....

Can you provide some names or links, please? Always looking for good sources.

It depends on what you are looking for. My particular field is healthcare and so I reserve a special place in my voodoo doll cupboard for Homeopaths, Nutritionists (a la Gillian McKeith), big pharmaceutical companies and other similar charlatans. If healthcare interests you take a look at "Testing Treatments" which is now available to download for free.

If you just want a brief introduction to the Scientific Method this is clear, well written and fairly comprehensive.
http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/appendixe/appendixe.html#Heading5

My only criticism would be that he doesn't make clear the massive importance of simple statistical analysis. You simply CANNOT hold a valid opinion about whether evidence is good or bad unless you have a basic understanding of statistics. It would take any normal numerate person about a day to get all the stats you need.

PatrickO said:
It depends on what you are looking for. My particular field is healthcare and so I reserve a special place in my voodoo doll cupboard for Homeopaths, Nutritionists (a la Gillian McKeith), big pharmaceutical companies and other similar charlatans.

:clap:

Healthcare is a subject very important to me. I've had PVFS for 13 years and have tried more alternative treatments than most people have heard of with very varied results.

Healthcare is a subject very important to me. I've had PVFS for 13 years and have tried more alternative treatments than most people have heard of with very varied results.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think sometimes the worst thing is that other people don't take it seriously.

That's very, very tough Jon. I hope you are finding ways to keep it at bay :)

I've learned to live with. Tried most of the usual pills and nostrums over the years, none of which did much for, and I emphasise this, me , and now find the best thing for, with repeated emphasis, me, is to treat it like any recurrent, chronic condition and accept that it's going to happen again. I'm lucky in that I don't have a particularly severe version compared to some, and I have a very supportive and understanding wife.

Thanks Patrick. It's manageable most of the time, but occasionally I'm housebound for a few months.

Jon, I agree that must be really tough. I've had ups and downs but not full blown depression, but I recognize from friends how debilitating it can be. I hope you have it under control.

I'd find a whole college eating its lunch next to me disconcerting too!

my biggest pet hate has to be my college eating his lunch at his desk with his mouth open and slapping his lips... its like listening to an animal try and eat... oh and then the indigestion all afternoon too... great times...

Agreed. And this pet hate is really due to the fact that at some point in the past some ******** decided that it would be really great for offices to be open plan, so we can all hear each other coughing and sniffling all day, eating their dinner, spilling chips over their keyboard, listen to ***** phoning their mrs every 10 minutes on trivial subjects etc etc ad infinitum. :bang:

Oh to live in Dilberts world and have a cubicle..

I'm going to revive this thread with this one....

Quiz show contestants who insist on telling us what the answer isn't for five minutes before getting the answer wrong! Eggheads is the worst offender IMO :)

People who don't indicate to say 'thank you' when you pull over in the car to let them through. Annoys the crap out of me!

Surely indicators are to signal which way they're about to turn? I never use mine to thank anyone, I signal my thanks with a cheery wave and a smile (and if possible, a clearly mouthed "Thank you").

Conversely, when I pull in to let those with the right of way through, I respond to the non-thankers with a poke of the tongue!

Nod said:
Surely indicators are to signal which way they're about to turn? I never use mine to thank anyone, I signal my thanks with a cheery wave and a smile (and if possible, a clearly mouthed "Thank you").

Conversely, when I pull in to let those with the right of way through, I respond to the non-thankers with a poke of the tongue!

Yeah, I'm talking about the cheery wave or at least a nod. It's the ones that just drive and blank you out that annoy me

People who come to a complete stop at the top (or bottom) of an escalator, totally oblivious of what will happen to the people behind them!
Phone scammers - energy saving schemes/computer support/PPI - they usually get just two words of Anglo Saxon as a reply!
Motorists who fail to give way, and overtake parked cars on their side of the road, or fail to obey right of way signs at width restrictions.
Motorists who fail to indicate before turning, when you are waiting to pull out of a busy junction or enter a roundabout.
People who do not say thank you, when you open a door for them, or people who let a door go in your face!

People who come to a complete stop at the top (or bottom) of an escalator, totally oblivious of what will happen to the people behind them!

they just get a shove from me, when i get the inevitable dirty look I respond with "Well where did you expect me to go?"

People who hate the word crimbo

People who think that's the national speed limit is 40mph
Had a few long trips lately and have been stuck behind people crawling along at 35 to 40 on a 60 speed limit road when it's perfectly safe to do the proper speed surely you should be able to drive at 50 even if you don't want to do 60
Also tho I do hate people who tailgate me because I stick to the speed limit in a 30 in villages for example

People who think that speed limits (any of them) are targets to be hit as quickly as possible, rather than limits.

People who pull caravans with underpowered cars (corsa, fiestas, puntos and the like were not meant to haul huge fibre glass boxes arround the countries roads)

also people who come to devon who can't reverse - yes the roads are narrow, yes they are only one car wide, but no i'm not reversing 400yds to a passing space when there's one 10 yards behind you.

People who don't indicate!

People who think a roundabout is actually a 'Straight-over-about'

People who don't show any gratitude when you stop to let them in or out (This mainly seems to be taxi drivers and bus drivers).

I disagree. I quite like Johnny Vegas and there's some other good people in the series... ;)

I couldn't really comment on that, because I've never seen it. But knowing the city means I'd never be motivated to watch a show based on it!

People who pull caravans with underpowered cars (corsa, fiestas, puntos and the like were not meant to haul huge fibre glass boxes arround the countries roads)

i was reading an ad for a suzuki alto the other day, written by a trader. they listed it as "a perfect towing car"! for towing what? a skateboard?

Ricardo that's what's hilarious about it! It's a send up of every reason why you (I)'d never want to visit the place!

One of the best comedies ever written. :)

Ricardo that's what's hilarious about it! It's a send up of every reason why you (I)'d never want to visit the place!

One of the best comedies ever written. :)

I see!
Then my next excuse is that it's not shown on Spanish TV :LOL:

i was reading an ad for a suzuki alto the other day, written by a trader. they listed it as "a perfect towing car"! for towing what? a skateboard?

I'd imagine they meant perfect for towing behind a motorhome - which leads me onto my next pet hate - people who tow smart cars, altos, etc behind dirty great motor homes - none of them seem conversant with how to reverse with a tow and wind up jacknifed and helpless

I'd imagine they meant perfect for towing behind a motorhome - which leads me onto my next pet hate - people who tow smart cars, altos, etc behind dirty great motor homes - none of them seem conversant with how to reverse with a tow and wind up jacknifed and helpless

If you ask me they should be put on some kind of driving course.

if you ask me they should be put on a giant catapult and fired into the sea :LOL:

12720.strip.gif

Last edited:

It's almost impossible to tow a car behind a motorhome legally, because any trailer that has brakes (whether required due to the trailer mass or not) must have the brakes fully functional where fitted, even if the trailer is under 750kg.

As for reversing, it's not hard to avoid a jacknife if you can actually see the trailer. On a motorhome, I suspect you can't. I have no problem seeing my trailer and reversing it in a straight line, it's a behemoth.

Back