my pet hate videoing gripe

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes one thing that really annoys me most intently. If there is somthingi want to video ,getting a good spot with a clear view is great UNTIL you get some moron arriving late and standing right in front of the camcorder and chatting in a loud voice. On some occasions I have thanked them in a very loud voice for ruining the video and standing right in the way. What amazies me it is so obvious one is recording yet they take no notice. I actually refrain from capturing children on video and wait until out the way, how would these morons like it if I deliberately videoed their kids? all hell wouild be let loose. pet gripe over

find a spot at the front, a spot higher up to reduce the chance that can happen, or move?

I well remember on board ship about to leave a foreign harbour on a cruise. So I got to the best spot right on the ships railings at least half an hour before we left to video. So overgrown guy stood at the back of the row of people watching having just got there and complained he could not see and said I should move and make way for him. I am not the kind of person to do this having waited so long I let him have it in a very loud voice. The language was not pleasant believe me but not rude and told him to well I won't put it on here
this is what I was filming (part of)
[
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRd9INAt10o

Last edited:
I find most adults are considerate if they are aware that you are filming, although not always obvious if you have a camcorder running on a tripod and you are standing slightly to one side of it to prevent any movement. As for kids you can forget it! They are understandably that wrapped up in what they are doing, you won't stand a chance. That's what the editing razor and a bit of B roll is for.

Last edited:
Would it be worth considering a mike with a parabolic reflector to concentrate on the sound source and cut out/down any extraneous sounds?

Not everybody is paying attention to you or what you're doing.
Perhaps in a public space you should expect people to be moving around you and in front of you.

You could always ask them politely to move or move yourself.

From the perspective of *everyone else* taking video can seem quite selfish if you are in a good viewpoint for much longer than it would need to take a photo.
A good example is relatively crowded custom or vintage car events.

My experience of being on cruise ships doing a sail-away is that there is always somewhere on the boat where there are no people. Granted this may be further away from the 'action' than you would like but with a decent zoom lens and the mic I suggested above you would get the shot and the sound. TBH the sound in your clip above gives the impression of being a fair distance between the camera and the action hence my suggestion which would concentrate the sound.

I well remember on board ship about to leave a foreign harbour on a cruise. So I got to the best spot right on the ships railings at least half an hour before we left to video. So overgrown guy stood at the back of the row of people watching having just got there and complained he could not see and said I should move and make way for him. I am not the kind of person to do this having waited so long I let him have it in a very loud voice. The language was not pleasant believe me but not rude and told him to well I won't put it on here
this is what I was filming (part of)
[

Was it worth the bother?

Oh I feel your pain...I don't video much, but a few years ago I was up on the Norfolk coast near Snettisham with a friend and we were videoing the sunset. There was literally just the two of us on the sea wall and two women walking. We were standing a good few feet apart so not to interfere with each others sound and the two women stood right between us and started nattering, they had miles of beach to talk, but nope, they chose right where we were standing. Sorry, I had to say something, and they looked at me as if I had horns.......

Yes one thing that really annoys me most intently. If there is somthingi want to video ,getting a good spot with a clear view is great UNTIL you get some moron arriving late and standing right in front of the camcorder and chatting in a loud voice. On some occasions I have thanked them in a very loud voice for ruining the video and standing right in the way. What amazies me it is so obvious one is recording yet they take no notice. I actually refrain from capturing children on video and wait until out the way, how would these morons like it if I deliberately videoed their kids? all hell wouild be let loose. pet gripe over
Haha! I feel your pain! I guess its probably not allowed to have a laser on top of the camera so anyone who steps into the view gets zapped, but of course that's not very practical. The red carpet would certainly have a lot of people rolling around on the ground in pain......

Back