My photography

Name
Rachel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there. My name is Rachel. I would like to know what you think of my photography. I enjoy photography so much and it was just in the past few years that i have started to get into it more. My grandfather loved his photography also and I think it rubbed off on me. I only have one camera for now which is a Canon powershot, I am aiming to upgrade soon. This camera is good tho for now I think. Anyway,I have so many photos and I don't know what to do with all of them. CC is welcome.

Attachments

• 20230402083855.jpg
    20230402083855.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20230402122630.jpg
    20230402122630.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20230402122709.jpg
    20230402122709.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 121
  • 20230402122654.jpg
    20230402122654.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 118
Welcome to the forum Rachel. We all have an influence that draws us to photography, mine was through my Dad. This is a great forum to get feedback and everyone is very helpful, I joined last year and team TP have been most helpful with advice, guidance and CC.

I like the landscape 3 of 4... not quite sure why the background is so blurred, is it intentional via lightroom? The eye naturally follows up from the water to the background, which would have been nice to see in a bit more detail. Unless you're going for an abstract, impressionist image.

Either way, keep posting and getting feedback. It's what I do to get better.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi Rachel. Looks like you're doing okay. I think you have an eye for composition and there's plenty of potential for you to explore. Welcome to the forum. We'll look forward to seeing how you get on.

Welcome to the forum Rachel. Of the four you posted, I like the minimalistic no. 2 best. I like the colours and the way the kayaker stands out against the background. I agree with @Jungli that there appears to be a bit of blur in parts on some of the others - perhaps added deliberately?

If you have a look around the forum, you will see there are lots of different sections dealing with different genres. Some areas are specifically for posting photos and some are more for chats or getting information. It's a great place to learn and photography is a wonderful hobby. Enjoy the journey!

Hi and welcome Rachael :D

I like them all. I can see what others are saying about blur but this is a personal decision and I actually quite like them as to me they look sort of dreamy and painterly although to me the first is much less so in this respect than the others. They all have their charms though.

We done and keep at it :D

Welcome to the forum.

It's hard to judge off just 4 photos, but for me the canoeist is the pick of the bunch here.

It may be that your shots have been compressed to upload here, but the last two do seem excessively blurry.

That said, the composition and colouring is nice on both.

Also, don't underestimate a little Powershot. I also have a Canon Powershot (G5 X) and some of my favourite shots have come from that.

:wave:

Canoeist for me too.

Interesting all the photos have a small depth of field. Is this intentional on a Powershot :thinking:

:wave:

Canoeist for me too.

Interesting all the photos have a small depth of field. Is this intentional on a Powershot :thinking:

It can be.

(Sorry to drag this off-topic)

Part of the reason I chose the Canon was because it offers all the same modes as my FF camera (from full auto to full manual) and because it has a 1.8-2.8 maximum aperture throughout the range.

So if you tell it to, you can get shallow DOF.

Last edited:
Hi there. There is a setting on the camera to make the background blur,which is what I selected on some shots. I posted a link with more shots from flickr if you want to go ahead and look? Thanks guys

You definitely have an eye for image composition! Well done.

'Having-the-eye' for composition and capturing the moment, is what satisfying photography is all about. Any camera is merely a tool to enable you to express what you see.

Your examples illustrate that you definitely 'have-the-eye'. Otherwise, for some people it's a case of having all-the-gear-but-no-idea!

Although many photographers here will help you with their (polite) criticisms, don't forget that you don't always have to agree with them! Some can be rather pedantic and overly technical.

'Having-the-eye' for composition and capturing the moment, is what satisfying photography is all about. Any camera is merely a tool to enable you to express what you see.

Your examples illustrate that you definitely 'have-the-eye'. Otherwise, for some people it's a case of having all-the-gear-but-no-idea!

Although many photographers here will help you with their (polite) criticisms, don't forget that you don't always have to agree with them! Some can be rather pedantic and overly technical.
Aww thank you red Robin. Yes i will keep that in mind.

I have this idea in my head that I don't really care what someone else thinks of mine. The only one that matter's is me. I do read what other's say and I do gain from it but in the end if I don't care for it, it's trash. There is a big area where photography can be called good or bad and other than really bad stuff it's all as good as the photographer thinks. Some better and some worst but still only your opinion really counts. One person may not care for something for no other reason than the subject simply did nothing for them while the next likes it. You need to be somewhat critical of yourself but do it without destroying yourself. What works for one person may not work for the next!

Well there ya go. Several people like the canoeist, I don't. I'm thinking the canoeist is the subject but is over whelmed by the background. But you know something, I was wrong once before! Just goes to show the one that needs to like what you have is you, not me! keep going!

OK. Don't know how you did it but look at this photo compared to the other landscapes. In this one the lake, small villege and mountains are all in focus pretty well. In the other's the focus is pretty much lost. In this one with those things in focus my eye is drawn to them. In the other's if you had a manual mode you could have selected a tighter shutter opening and brought more into focus. Notice something about focus. Focus seem's to pull your eye to the oblect you want. Shooting people or as I like, dogs. I want the subject to stand out I focus on the eye! Eye in focus and I seldom realize anything else unless you use a wide open aperature and get the subject but not the background. Works good with oblect's you want to stand out from the background. Good focus attracts the viewer's eye! Some good advantages to an ability to use manual settings. My coffee went cold writting this, may be to windy!

Last edited:
Back