My pictures Nicked!

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone.

After someone posted a link to using google images new search by image thing to see if your photos have been stolen I thought I would check the 5 most viewed on my flickr.

While I admit most of them are snapshots from car shows Ive attended and Im not so fussed about them being used elsewhere (within reason) I am very annoyed that one person has stolen 3 images for his blog and watermarked them!!!!! :cautious:

http://www.pasionretro.com/de_color_dic.php

Image 1
Mine on Flickr

Image2
Image3
These ones aren't on my Flickr because I didnt deem them 'worthy' enough (horrible reflections on the twin ended Mini and under exposed Shorties) They are however on my Public Facebook album:::
Facebook Album
Ive no idea how he would have come across these? I used to have lots of Mini owners adding me on facebook as I used to have a photo of my Mini as my display pic?

Any suggestions on how to proceed? (bearing in mind he is spanish and this has never happened to me before). From what I can tell its some sort of blog/online magazine? :|

Not after money or anything really (As if I'd even get it of him!:thumbsdown:)...Im just really bloody annoyed he watermarked them and he is hosting them, without even a link back!!! :razz::bang::nono:

Not after money or anything really (As if I'd even get it of him!:thumbsdown:)...Im just really bloody annoyed he watermarked them and he is hosting them, without even a link back!!! :razz::bang::nono:

Well, the first thing to establish is what you do want, having discovered what he's up to.

Your options

- money (which you say you don't want, fair enough)

- a credit and/or a link

- for him to cease to use your images

- sexual favours from his girlfriend, him, or both [not serious :D]

I should then try emailing him, asking for what you have decided upon.

If he fails to respond or refuses, then you should contact his web hosting company asking them to remove the infringing material.

Thanks for the input. Main reason I said I wasnt after money was partly because they are just point and clicks with a bit of editing (Im sure some people will tell me that doesnt matter though!) and the fact he is in spain...

Does that make a difference at all? (that he is in spain?) Or is copyright global as I suspect?

Should I google translate the email to Spanish? or Just english? or include both?

Ive still no idea if the site is an online magazine or just a blog!

What would other people do in my situation? Would you chase up money? or just get the image removed?

Would appreciate any input...

Give him a call!

Registrant conatct:
Name: Leandro Cavallero
Company: Leandro Cavallero
Email: leocavallero@gmail.com

Address: Neuquen 2461 1 a
AR - Paternal ( zip: 1416 )
Phone : 54 - 853489

I'd try for money - but it's not so easy when the culprit is abroad.

Last edited:
Amazing! Thanks!
I'll keep that as a backup if I dont hear back from an email to the contact page.
Trouble is I cant speak spanish... :(

(Where did you get that info from? I Checked the whois page for the domain but gave very limited info...)

I had considered asking for enough to cover a zoom lens. That way if he says no and just removes the photos then Ill still be happy, but if he coughs up then he has enabled me to get better pics. (I've only been looking at Sigma, Tamron and the Nikkor 55-60 - 200-300mm so only around £150).
I know the London Freelance price website says I should ask around that Per photo, but hopefully if I just ask for what I need for that lens then I may get the money! (though, I still very much doubt it!).

To the OP ...It looks to me like you are both car enthusiasts? Why not just let him know that he should have asked you first before using the images and that you are not happy he hasn't credited you for the shots and see what he says?

Not sure why you are so anti photograper Splog?!

he is constantly stirring in any thread to do with photographers and money.

awp said:
Not sure why you are so anti photograper Splog?!

A very strange thing to say! I love photography, but I don't condone this 'make them pay' crap.... I doubt the guy with the blog has any idea of copyright.

I doubt the guy with the blog has any idea of copyright.

... which is irrelevant.

it's not crap - if you get a picture stolen then they have to pay.

You obviously have a safe job that doesn't rely on photography for you're income and you care zilch about anyone who does rely on photography for their livelihood.

Last edited:
awp said:

Your definition of stirring is not agreeing with you?

awp said:
... which is irrelevant.

Hardly!...... They seem to share a common interest.

sorry but I refuse to conduct a further discussion with someone called Splog who is totally anonymous on the forum.

I think this makes it pretty clear that the OPs not after money :shake:

what i'd suggest is sending him a polite email asking him to either remove them from his blog or credit you as the originator

if he refuses or ignores you then you can get heavier

as to the comunication I wouldnt sweat it to much as a lot of spaniards speak quite good english

awp said:
... which is irrelevant.

it's not crap - if you get a picture stolen then they have to pay.

You obviously have a safe job that doesn't rely on photography for you're income and you care zilch about anyone who does rely on photography for their livelihood.

Not so! ... But what you fail to see is that some people simply enjoy photography as a hobby,something to get enjoyment from.

I don't think you will find any posts from me regarding pro's being ripped off?

And yes my job pays nicely.... Thankyou.

awp said:
sorry but I refuse to conduct a further discussion with someone called Splog who is totally anonymous on the forum.

What!..... Are you serious?

What seriously, pot, kettle and black springs to mind.

Steve

Knock it off guys, we've got 6 new mods all champing at the bit, don't give them an excuse!!!

This thread has been reported and as such is being watched ;)
Play nice guys Thanks

edit Damn beaten to it :D

awp said:
Adds to ignore list

Why not just put fingers in ears and go ...... LaLa

Why not just put fingers in ears and go ...... LaLa

Not a good idea since this is a visual thread which would mean he would have to stick his fingers in his eyes....which would, I imagine, be very painful and counterproductive to avoiding walking into everyday objects such as the coffee table or the little ones Lego brick when walking barefoot....oh and would most likely be going "AAAaarrrgh" rather than "LaLa". ;)

Edit (as I fear I've taken this off topic too far) - FTR I tend to agree with both, there's nothing wrong with contacting him/her/it asking for credit and link, nor is there anything wrong with asking for a fee for the photo. It's all about how much value the photographer who took the photo places on that image....and the only true person who know that answer is the photographer themself....we can only but advice which methods to take to achieve their goal.

Last edited:
Pretty simple stuff, if its a monetised commercial blog, send him a bill. If its just a fan made blog and he seems like a regular enthusiast, shoot him an email and ask him to credit you or alternatively remove your pics.

I think that is the best way to go about it.

If you go for money, you will probably just get them taken down, but you should definitely go for cash. I get all the whole "I like to see my pictures being used, blah blah blah not pro" thing if they ask, I don't agree! but I get it. When they outright steal I think it is just rude and they should not have the pleasure of using the photo unless they pay.

You wouldn't believe some people are in public relations. :D

It's really up to you what you want to do. It's a fact of life people nick photos, some because they don't know, some because they don't care and they think they'll chance it. Facebook and flickr seem to increase your chances of this happening, as does not watermarking, just putting small images up these days doesn't matter as most abuse seems to be web based and small images are fine for that as can be seen in this case. Nearly everything of mine that goes online is now watermarked (odd college pic doesn't).

There's no harm sending him a friendly email asking him where he got the picture from. Depending on your requirements you might get him to incriminate himself, or you might be able to use it to your advantage as he's another mini enthusiast. OK I doubt you'll be heading for spain on an exchange holiday but I like to think there's always possibilities for a positive outcome.

Hahahaahhhah!!! Best post ever. Utterly baffling logic. :bonk: :dummy:

Going to join the anon stirrer camp, totally agree about them both being enthusiasts and sure they can come to an amicable agreement over the photo

Just a hobby for me and if people want to use any of my pictures (hardly likely) fair enough. My enjoyment is from taking them, gets me out and about in the fresh air and the chance to dabble with some pretty neat equipment along with the processing stuff too

Obviously if its ones livelihood do the watermark/copyright bit, but just not interested in that side of it at all and would add unwanted hassle to my pastime. Wouldn't object to a credit just as a courtesy thing, but not about to throw a tanty if they didn't

Wouldn't want to take the grub from someones mouth, but surely a professional sells on the quality of their work which by definition should and no doubt is far above my average efforts and no threat whatsoever to their income

Good analogy would be diy, does anyone worry about doing the work of a tradesman such as painting and decorating, probably not, but in essence its the same principle

Last edited:
Going to join the anon stirrer camp, totally agree about them both being enthusiasts and sure they can come to an amicable agreement over the photo

That would tend to be my opinion as it's not a commercial site.

People making money with my photos get short shrift, though.

P.S. He appears to be in Argentina, not Spain.

Back