My signature night shots

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Obviously this style won't be to the fancy of some, but thought I'd share my 'signature' night shot (location, angle, type of light etc) that I've been doing for a couple of manufacturers. I'm by no means a pro, but really enjoy creating these. Every time I do these I learn something new too!

31005617725_41b8df167b_b.jpg

32332288135_e151164f76_b.jpg

31752543194_3bee5b25a7_b.jpg

Not something I have every done so please take my comments as purely my views.

I quite like the first one, the car stands out nicely from the background, yet the lights in the background and sky bring a nice feel to the image.

Think you might need to work on your post processing though as there is quite a dark patch on the sky to the right of the car and also a bit of a glow over the top of the car.

The second and third one don't work as well for me, they are both a bit dark and the light reflection on the backs of the car are both distracting for me (the first one is much more abstract pattern), the back of the car in #2 is also quite dirty and I don't like the tree showing above the car.

Not something I have every done so please take my comments as purely my views.

I quite like the first one, the car stands out nicely from the background, yet the lights in the background and sky bring a nice feel to the image.

Think you might need to work on your post processing though as there is quite a dark patch on the sky to the right of the car and also a bit of a glow over the top of the car.

The second and third one don't work as well for me, they are both a bit dark and the light reflection on the backs of the car are both distracting for me (the first one is much more abstract pattern), the back of the car in #2 is also quite dirty and I don't like the tree showing above the car.

Definitely all noted. My post-editing is weak, and I'm still on CS3, so I've much room for improvement.

RE: dirty car - yeah I usually only take these shots at the end of the week loan so they're mucky. :D

I think the more 'random' light pattern in the first works much better. Though would possibly make more sense if it continued to the rest of the car, rather than just the rear. The little squiggle on the back of the Amarok looks like you phoned it in and couldn't be bothered being out there much longer. :D

Agree with Steve on the haloing, evident around all the cars, and the tree in the second.

If I was doing this, I'd make sure I got a clean frame to drop the lit car into later so you can eliminate the ghost of yourself doing the light painting. I'd also tweak the white balance in that clean frame to lessen the light pollution glow in the sky.

I think the more 'random' light pattern in the first works much better. Though would possibly make more sense if it continued to the rest of the car, rather than just the rear. The little squiggle on the back of the Amarok looks like you phoned it in and couldn't be bothered being out there much longer. :D

Agree with Steve on the haloing, evident around all the cars, and the tree in the second.

If I was doing this, I'd make sure I got a clean frame to drop the lit car into later so you can eliminate the ghost of yourself doing the light painting. I'd also tweak the white balance in that clean frame to lessen the light pollution glow in the sky.

I've got the new Mini Cooper S Seven next week so I'll definitely try all this in post. On the Amarok I actually spent ages and froze getting the shot :eek:, think I was just trying to be clever with the lighting haha. I agree about the clear frame though, don't know why I didn't already think of that?? Think the glow is coming from my hi/lo light adjustments being uneven and creating a weird point on the photo.. I guess?

Hi.

like you say the style will not be to everyone but this reply is my opinion along with some hopefully constructive criticism.

The random light painting just doesn't work for me, it looks a random mess and why car manufacturers would request this is beyond me. Look up some of the light painting work by Nick Williams , Matthew Dear etc... and how to use the light streaks to emphasise the cars lines & features yet also making sure the car is properly lit all over. As some of your photos are lit with the random light then some areas are very dark / under exposed. The second photo is an example above the driver rear light. Dont try to do it all in one exposure, take multiple shots and merge them in photoshop.

I like the composition / location of these shots.

I would suggest to stop ghosting of yourself in the shots take a shot of purely the background then the shots of the lighting of the car. this way when the final shot is put together you don't get the massive black smudge where the camera has picked you up in the exposure. the first shot is a prime example of this.

Like i said this is just my opinion :)

Mike

Back