My take on drones

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I’ve resisted and resisted, but have finally caved and bought myself a Mavic Air 2. It was a weird sort of purchase, as I wasn’t entirely sure what I’d do with it. I used to fly radio controlled planes a lot (2-stroke engines, AcroWot, Wot4 etc) and I’ve always been really interested in aerial photography. Eventually, I figured that the Mavic Air 2 is a really good combination of good-enough camera, small form factor, and great tech features including the Occusync comms and automated track and follow.

On my second serious outing today (I got the “Fly More” combo with 3 batteries - highly recommended), I figured it out. Basically it lets you put a camera literally anywhere. Rather than being restricted to where you can walk to and plonk your tripod, now your tripod can be 100 feet in the air, or over the sea, or halfway up a mountain. This is bloody brilliant. The precision with which you can position the camera is amazing. 2 inches to the left, 1 inch higher, no problem. It really is a revelation.

Aside from the obvious video side of things, this drone is a 48mp stills camera platform that you can position highly accurately in 3 dimensions. Today, in fairly strong buffety winds I got lovely sharp flowing water images at 1/10th of a sec using the ND filters that came with the kit, which I’d need to be 15 feet tall and standing in a river, or hanging from a helicopter to achieve without the drone. Obivously you’re not going to get 30 sec ND110 stuff, but everything else is up for grabs.

Also, it’s really handy as you don’t have to squidge through bogs or get stuck at a river crossing. Suddenly photographic creativity is unbounded. Also, you don’t need to climb that hill - just send the drone up there instead. Lazy? Maybe, but it opens up a whole host of locations that would otherwise be rather inaccessible.

I think the Mavic Pro 2 with its Hasselblad camera with larger sensor (and crucially, variable aperture - the Air 2 has a fixed aperture so you need to use ND filters) would be a very good option, albeit more expensive. However, the Air 2 is astonishingly good. Very easy to fly, and the DNGs that come out of it seem really rather good.

Here’s two videos so far. One is scenery focused and the other is mountain bike focused (testing the tracking feature amongst others). Excuse me while I am learning. Editing and “story telling” is a work-in-progress right now. And yes, I passed my online drone test thing with 20/20 :)

I bought my self a mini some months ago to see how I get on. I love it. Especially seen as the new drone rules doesn't affect it.

I can totally appreciate the feelings of true photographic freedom.

My next purchase is the pro2 or 3 when that comes out.

Last edited:
I used to have the original pro. I sold it a couple of years back to a member on here. Very impressed with it though.

a couple of months back, literally 3 days before lockdown I got myself a mini for my trip to Scotland.

Absolutely love it. so small and compact and produces a decent shot for both stills and video for under £400.

The air 2 looks like a formidable piece of kit, and I hope you have many hours of fun with it.
41E1864C-58C6-436E-AB22-56D05B3EF3CD.jpeg

I've very impressed with that video! I've never really considered Drones, but they certainly add a new dimension and really does look amazing!

I had a fire at home that damaged my original Air so I upgraded to a Mavic 2 pro. Unfortunately do to illness, redundancy and rubbish weather I've only flown it or a few minutes.
Hopefully this weekend will se it's first real outing.
I got some fantastic footage with my Air including things like lock systems that couldn't be photographed any other way, the Angel of the North much more powerful shots than I could get with a camera and many more.
Sadly we in the drone hobby seem to get more bad press than photographers and that's bad enough.
I had a local lady try and explain why she thought drones were creepy, it was a very good exchange of comments based round idiots flying too fast and too close.
All drones as we know have a code of conduct and some rules we have to follow that are fairly simple and yet we get the usual idiots. Remember the CAA drone code applies to all of us including 250g drones.

Oh please, come on! Please tell me after a few days you wondered why you bought it and they’re overrated after all. I’ve had about three years of using every last ounce of willpower trying to stop myself getting a drone and now this, you should be ashamed of yourself :ROFLMAO: . To be fair at the moment the only thing stopping me is the fact we’re about a mile from the end of an RAF runway and hence in a no fly zone (don’t ask how I know because I definitely haven’t repeatedly checked the map on DJI’s website because I’m really not interested, honestly... definitely in fact... at all )

Really trying hard not to get a Mavic pro 2.

Fortunately there’s a few lenses in its way yet but it’s time will come!

Oh please, come on! Please tell me after a few days you wondered why you bought it and they’re overrated after all. I’ve had about three years of using every last ounce of willpower trying to stop myself getting a drone and now this, you should be ashamed of yourself :ROFLMAO: . To be fair at the moment the only thing stopping me is the fact we’re about a mile from the end of an RAF runway and hence in a no fly zone (don’t ask how I know because I definitely haven’t repeatedly checked the map on DJI’s website because I’m really not interested, honestly... definitely in fact... at all )

Very sorry hahahaha

Great videos.
What mtb bike do you have?

It’s a Yeti 575. Almost an antique these days, but still does the biz.

Really trying hard not to get a Mavic pro 2. Fortunately there’s a few lenses in its way yet but it’s time will come!

I’m selling one of my Leica lenses to pay for the Mavic. Amazing what you can buy for the price of a Leica lens.

Very sorry hahahaha

It’s a Yeti 575. Almost an antique these days, but still does the biz.

I’m selling one of my Leica lenses to pay for the Mavic. Amazing what you can buy for the price of a Leica lens.
Well the Nikon lenses I have in mind would buy me a Mavic pro 2 outright so yeah I know what you mean!

Really trying hard not to get a Mavic pro 2.

Fortunately there’s a few lenses in its way yet but it’s time will come!

Forget the lenses get a Mavic Pro 2 LOL. I'm still using a Fuji XT-2 that survived the fire I had last year. It still works and takes fantastic pictures even if it does look a bit crispyfied.

resistance is futile. i held off for years and then eventually i gave in. stop punishing yourself :)

Forget the lenses get a Mavic Pro 2 LOL. I'm still using a Fuji XT-2 that survived the fire I had last year. It still works and takes fantastic pictures even if it does look a bit crispyfied.
The only thing that is preventing me is my long incompetent history with remote control devices. Admittedly the harder types like rc planes and helicopters but I’ve crashed them all and whilst I understand the drones almost fly themselves I might need a crash course in flying them! Doh wrong use of words!!!!

Bought a mavic mini fly more combo for £401 , 3 weeks ago, love it, so much fun, great 24fps video now, pictures are good as well, raw not needed.

Its not replaced my camera, goes in the bag with it.

Last edited:
How are you finding the controller on the Air 2? it looks like a massive piece of kit.
Having had the spark, old air and now the air 2, the new controller is miles better.
Much more comfortable and ergonomic, plus having the phone on top is much better. It balances better, and is easier to see.

I live less than 3 miles from Manchester airport with a 40 acre park at the end of my garden, mate I feel for you LOL. Now get your hand in your pocket and get one bought you wuss. Remember have car can travel.

I bought a Mavic Pro in January of this year from MPB and love it.

Only had it out 5 or 6 times but it's a lot of fun.

I originally bought it to "help" my photography and thought about doing some vlogs in the mountains of Wales and on holiday in Cornwall and as soon as this madness is over I will.

For now I content myself with the odd quick flight here and there (as long as there is no one about).

I took it to Clee Hill last weekend but the carpark was rammed and was way too windy to attempt it.

Mavic Pro 2

Any idea if these belong in the new C2? class or the transitional A...? I'm just trying think longer term when new legislation comes fully into effect.

Would you mind sharing a random still RAW file to see how it would behave when pushed in LR? Thanks.

@gremlin16 and @Balb0wa I’d be interested in your thoughts on the Mavic Mini as I’m contemplating purchasing the Mavic Mini as a first drone. How easy is it to control and fly?

Do you use it for stills? I’d be interested to hear how you get on with the JPEG only stills. Can they be edited even if it’s only a little bit? I’d like to learn the video aspect and production side as that looks quite interesting.

Last edited:
@rob-nikon is a great little drone. The latest firmware gives full control over the camera now so that’s great. JPEGs are good, but still jpegs and the images do seem to be somewhat over sharpened.

video is nice, again, it can be manipulated quite nicely with luts and so on.

flying wise, it’s a dji, so it’s great. The three modes cater for all aspects. Very simple and easy to control.

for its price, nothing comes close. If you want next level (and don’t mind registering it with big brother) the air 2 seems to be impressing everyone.

There is no crash protection on it, so you need to be sensible with it, but then again, you need to be sensible with all drones.

i hqd a mavic pro a few years back and feel the mini is just as capable.

I'd really like the Mavic Air 2.
At the moment, I have a Phantom 4 that was a gift but I have hardly used it.
I can either go out with the drone or go and do photography.
With the MA2 I could combine the two.

The videos posted here are quite impressive.
Well done Guys (y)

@rob-nikon is a great little drone. The latest firmware gives full control over the camera now so that’s great. JPEGs are good, but still jpegs and the images do seem to be somewhat over sharpened.

video is nice, again, it can be manipulated quite nicely with luts and so on.

flying wise, it’s a dji, so it’s great. The three modes cater for all aspects. Very simple and easy to control.

for its price, nothing comes close. If you want next level (and don’t mind registering it with big brother) the air 2 seems to be impressing everyone.

There is no crash protection on it, so you need to be sensible with it, but then again, you need to be sensible with all drones.

i hqd a mavic pro a few years back and feel the mini is just as capable.
I’d prefer RAW for still but at double the price I don’t think it’s worth the extra when I’m not sure drone flying will be for me. The Mavic mini price is definitely more doable than other options. I’m not sure I could drop nearly £1k on something I’m not 100% sure would suit me long term.

I gather new rules are coming into force on 1st July 2020 that will mean any drone with a camera will need to be registered regardless of weight so I think I’m a bit late to miss not needing to register it.

that's been put back to november @rob-nikon at the earliest. and in fairness, the regs are all up in the air at the moment. to be fair the current registration isn't that painful, nor is the £9 fee. the online test is common sense and can be done by a 7 year old. It's a point of principle for me at the moment, and I don't like having my freedoms curtailed :)

It's a point of principle for me at the moment, and I don't like having my freedoms curtailed :)
You'll just have to decide whether to swallow your pride or your principles. To drone or not to drone? That is the question... :naughty:

@gremlin16 and @Balb0wa I’d be interested in your thoughts on the Mavic Mini as I’m contemplating purchasing the Mavic Mini as a first drone. How easy is it to control and fly?

Do you use it for stills? I’d be interested to hear how you get on with the JPEG only stills. Can they be edited even if it’s only a little bit? I’d like to learn the video aspect and production side as that looks quite interesting.

I love it, im really happy with the video quality, looks great upscaled to 4K, the still photo quality is good as well, you can edit them to look nice,.

No idea why i didnt buy a drone sooner, will take it to Whitby in a few days and have a play.

Just bought a pack of ND filters, will give those a try.

If you give me your email, i can send you some unedited stills from it.

id never flown a drone before, the weather was shocking the day i got it, so i got it flying in my bedroom!!, pretty good with the controls now, good advice is, if you panic with it, just let go of the controls, compose yourself and it will just hover,

My friend came down yesterday, he was amazed by it, and the size of it, tiny, he was soon googling on his phone for one!

Drones are simple to fly it’s understanding the legislation that’s a ball ache. For example ‘don’t fly within 150m of a built up area’ - loads of people break this and the NATS or DJI apps don’t show gardens/parks/villages/towns/cities as no fly zones...so lots of people do it and either plead ignorance or genuinely don’t know. If you get a PfCO you have to go through ridiculous hoops to fly in these areas whereas without one you can pretty much do as you like. The shame is the over the top rules kill the enjoyment for me, but they’re probably the very best way to capture video.

id never flown a drone before, the weather was shocking the day i got it, so i got it flying in my bedroom!!,

A cardinal error, I wouldn't risk doing that and I've had them since 2013

A cardinal error, I wouldn't risk doing that and I've had them since 2013

Back in the day (1980's) I had my 1st helicopter, an Hirobo Shuttle with a 32 OS engine, I thought that it would be fine to fire it up and trim it out in my dining room, really bad idea, it was all over in seconds, the time spent in A & E getting stitched up was somewhat longer :D happy memories.

Reactions: RIR
Back