My Terrible Skin :-D

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to make an effort to get into portrait stuff, but living alone leaves me lacking in subjects. Here's a self-portrait attempt, which was also the first time I tried my cheapie Ebay RF flash triggers to light my face from the side.

I've converted it to a high structure mono with Nik Silver Efex, as I really like the way it brings out details in the (terrible, in this case,) skin.

Anyway, feel free to tear it apart. (y)

4888061134_271f755138_z.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, i like it. It has a gritty hard edge to it, sort of documentary portrait thingy. Could you clone out the chair? in the background though ?

Yes, I like it too. Don't put yourself down. ;) I like the tones and boldness of the finish. As for anything else, like the previous poster mentioned, maybe worth getting rid of the chair in b/g. Well done. :)

I had a feeling that would get a mention. :D The black space behind me is actually the sofa I was sitting on. The lighter part is the wall behind the sofa.

Is this any better? Just a quick edit, so it's not completely perfect.

4888283212_8078986624_z.jpg

Cheers for the positive comments, by the way. (y)

Last edited:
I quite like it and 'terrible' skin in fellas tends to look far more gritty and hard, so not a problem [tip, if doing wimmen, slide the structure the other way a tad, it smooths really nicely without too much sharpness loss]. I would perhaps tone down the cheek highlight a little bit, although thats with the caveat I am viewing on a crappy monitor, so it might just be that. The chair detail is good for me, adds a little context but if shooting again, would perhaps try and get rid of whatever is causing the pale band across top, its 'cuts' the picture up.

also, if you have another go, try a similar pose but with you looking slightly down, away from camera, for a real moody look (y)

oops, sorry, I told you it was a lousy monitor, what I thought was a wooden chair is your shoulder :nuts:

oops, sorry, I told you it was a lousy monitor, what I thought was a wooden chair is your shoulder :nuts:

Ah, I see now! I didn't realise that's what people were referring to! Obviously I knew it was my shoulder, so just assumed others did too. :LOL: It does look like a wooden chair now you mention it!

Thanks for all the tips. This is actually my "standard" portrait pose. If anyone points a camera at me then this is the immediate look they'll get from me. :D I'll have to practice some other poses.

Think of all the poses you'll have before long. ;)

Ooh yes, edit looks good to me.

You've done a great job Scott for one of your first SP
Just keep going you will get better and better and hopefully it will build your confidence.

Don't put yourself down your as good as anyone else in the human race :)

Ooh, bumpity-bump! :)

Funnily enough, a change in diet over the past few weeks has seen my skin looking better. Though I'm sure Silver Efex could reveal some flaws still present. ;)

Cheers for the comments. (y) I've managed to rope in a couple of friends as models recently, so selfies you'll probably see less of now.

Back