My top 6 of 2014

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
No
Inspired by other posters (and from collages I used to do on Flickr), here are my top 6 shots of 2014.

Why top 6 when other people have gone for 10? Well I've had a good 2 or 3 years out of photography, and only got back into it in the middle of this year around May/June time, so I figure I have had just over half a year back in the saddle.

6. Cotswold Lavender, July 2014

Cotswold Lavender Sunrise
by Stu Meech, on Flickr
This shot was the first one I took this year that really made me go, "yes I love photography still". It wasn't long after I bought a D610 (wish the D750 had come out by this point) and a 16-35, and I made several trips to Cotswold Lavender in different conditions before I got this which I was happy with.

5. Embleton Bay, Northumberland, September 2014

Stepping Stones To The Sea
by Stu Meech, on Flickr
One from a successful visit to Northumberland, an area which I can get too reasonably easily as my girlfriend's parents live between Newcastle & Durham. This was my favourite shot of the day as I got something from the area which looked a bit different to the norm, when you consider Dunstanburgh Castle is just around the corner.

4. The New Forest, October 2014

Mist of the Valley
by Stu Meech, on Flickr
I managed to shoot in The New Forest alot this autumn, an area nearby to where I grew up. I have been working on my long lens landscape technique/composition this year, and this was from the long end of a 70-200 2.8. This little area is a real mist trap, and often comes up trumps for me. This shot also uses the new Lee Landscape Polarizer.

3. Burnham-on-Sea Lighthouse, November 2014

Twi-lighthouse
by Stu Meech, on Flickr
I live in Bath for 6 years, and made several trips to Burnham-on-Sea Lighthouse, one of my favourite parts of the coast along with Clevedon Pier. I was back in the area working, and made this trip at a time when the tide was at it's fullest 30mins to 1 hour after sunset so I could capture the lighthouse at the blue hour with a full tide past the line of the beach it stands on.

2. Chesterton Windmill, December 2014

The Mill on The Hill
by Stu Meech, on Flickr
Living near to Chesterton, I have made several trips to the windmill this year in order to try and get a shot of it. The best composition I came up with was in the summer when there is crop in front of the windmill, but I could never time a visit with good light. This shot however, I took an afternoon to walk around the area to try and get something new and this is the viewpoint I got. I really like the light on the rippled contours of the foreground.

1. The New Forest, October 2014

Autumal Bracken
by Stu Meech, on Flickr
Taken on the same day as 4, an hour or so later. I had moved from the Homesley area of The New Forest to Rhinefield, a short drive up the A35. I knew this area had a good selection of tree and bracken, which would be suitable autumnal at that time. I've always liked the classic view of bluebells shot in the spring with the backlight through wooded areas, and had kept this in the back of my mind to do in the Autumn.

So there you have, been interested to know if you think this is the right selection or order. All my (published) shots from this year are on my Flickr account.

Last edited:
Lavender is a corker, followed by the Chesterton Windmill ... great set :)

Top selection Stu

Cotswold Lavender ticks all the boxes for me - lovely angles, tones, composition.

Embleton Bay - lovely light and amount of movement.

New Forest - you've caught some great conditions.

Burnham - I'm not a fan of these shots but it's well executed.

Chesterton - Love the light and simplicity of the composition. I'm after some abstract landscapes this year and this is sort of what I'm aiming for.

New Forest - Pleasing shot and a tough one to expose.

Great set of images I like them all very much Stu, but the Lavender and the New Forest shot really tick all the boxes for me.(y)

George.

Stu;

Absolutely STUNNING photography and talent, simply awesome.....!!

They'd make fantastic prints for a calendar/Art Gallery exhibition etc... WOOW

Best wishes;
Pete
Scotland

A nice set Stu, I do like the last one and your New Forest shot. I'd struggle to get 6 if honest so I take my hat off to you. All the best for 2015 mate, hope it's a productive one.

A nice set Stu, I do like the last one and your New Forest shot. I'd struggle to get 6 if honest so I take my hat off to you. All the best for 2015 mate, hope it's a productive one.
Just refreshed my memory off your flickr page, you could easily get 6+ shots together!!

Great set,

Lavender shot is so evocative you could almost smell the scent.

Your woodland shot for me stands out with its brilliant capture of the fleeting light off the bracken.

Wow!
I absolutely love these photographs.
They are stunning.
I aspire to be able to get shots even almost half as good as yours in the future (and they would be my best ever shots).

Back