Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
070624_5410.jpg

And no, I don’t mean “George”, “Floella” or “Tarquin”. This was taken at the Bolton Abbey meetup on Sunday. After a good walk around the Abbey, we settled in the Tea Rooms for lunch. After dining on a rather nice chicken and mayonnaise sandwich and a pot of tea, we were idly passing the time when lots of birds got rather brave and decided to make a few mad dashes for our leftovers.
I did get put the 50mm prime lens on at one point, but they just wouldn’t sit still, so I was quite pleased to capture the ones I did get, this being one of them. For my Sigma 70-300, at 149mm, I was quite pleased. While trying to shoot these, I was fully aware of my lens soft points, so tried to keep it over f7.1 and under 240mm.
Exif : Canon 30D .. Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro .. 149mm .. f8.0 .. 1/250 .. ISO 200

Link to blog page...

Female Chaffinch

Nice one :) Sharper than any of mine :( shame they loved that green chair and didnt hang around on any of the nice photogenic spots :p

Female Chaffy it is - and rather well done too Bodders.:)

Birds often get quite tame and rather brave at places where people sit out to eat. You'd do well to get that close to a Chaffinch normally.

Yep, amazing how tame they are sometimes. Nice shot :)

I'm amazed this was only 149mm - is it quite a heavy crop? And shouldn't it be in Animals & Nature :p

Lmao I like the Ls in your sig. Just saw 70-300mm APOL and thought wtf is that :LOL:

lol yeah, Technically it should but it comes automagically from my RSS feed from my photoblog. :p

I'll shift it now :)

It's had about a 1/8 cropped off it I think, top and left. Here is an upload of the uncropped, directly out of Lightroom

070624_5410.jpg

Honestly though, is it a good shot? I did the usual Lightroom / Photoshop tweaking (Levels, curves etc), and selectively lightened the eye, took out one of the dual catchlights in his eye (looked odd with two).

I was just really proud of it, because I dont normally get sharp bird shots....lol

Nicely done Marcel, you should be proud of it.(y) I prefer the cropped version of the two.

Thanks chaps. Normally playing to my lenses strongest points, as you can guess I wouldn't get shots like this (300mm wide open would be the norm for a little birdie shot :D), so I'm really pleased.

Was really crazy how close they got.

I was tempted to sit still for a while with my hand outstretched at one point.......but wanted a cuppa instead :p

Back