NAS loses connection

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this?

In windows explorer my NAS drives always showed as connected all the time but at some stage in the past while....................likely following a Windows update..................they are mostly disconnected.

Now, I have found that if I "Restart" they come back online but as I usually "Shutdown" that seems to be what is causing it? I have read of/about turning 'on or off' "Fast Start" in the power settings as something to try but under W10 v20H2 and possibly before in v1909 or v1903 that function was removed, so just how can this remedied???

TIA :)

although they show as disconnected what happens when you click on them?

although they show as disconnected what happens when you click on them?

If I click on them.......Windows Explorer shows a green progress bar that takes ages to finalise. When or once 'connected' the drives show as appropriate and access is good to the folders and files

In the NAS GUI and checking the "SMART" reports all are 'green'.

how do you connect to them / set them up?
is it IP address or \\name\share

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this?

In windows explorer my NAS drives always showed as connected all the time but at some stage in the past while....................likely following a Windows update..................they are mostly disconnected.

Now, I have found that if I "Restart" they come back online but as I usually "Shutdown" that seems to be what is causing it? I have read of/about turning 'on or off' "Fast Start" in the power settings as something to try but under W10 v20H2 and possibly before in v1909 or v1903 that function was removed, so just how can this remedied???

TIA :)

Welcome to the world of MS ballsing up Win 10 with network devices.
Firstly, when they removed homegroups they also disabled SMB 1.0 as default which caused NAS boxes and other devices to dissapear from networks.
If you google 'Win 10 not seeing NAS' you will come up with plenty of sites telling you what you need to do to fix it.
I've had this happen twice with Win 10 updates although luckily it has only happened once with my desktop and that was just a case of turning on SMB 1.0, however, the second time around on my laptop it was a royal pain in the a***
As a potential quick fix, go to programes and features in control panel, click on turn windows features on and off and make sure SMB 1.0 is enabled.
Also, make sure your NAS box has SMB 1.0 enabled as well.
From what you have said it looks like you will need to change some services to 'automatic' but you will find this when you google the issue.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of MS ballsing up Win 10 with network devices.
Firstly, when they removed homegroups they also disabled SMB 1.0 as default which caused NAS boxes and other devices to dissapear from networks.
If you google 'Win 10 not seeing NAS' you will come up with plenty of sites telling you what you need to do to fix it.
I've had this happen twice with Win 10 updates although luckily it has only happened once with my desktop and that was just a case of turning on SMB 1.0, however, the second time around on my laptop it was a royal pain in the a***
As a potential quick fix, go to programes and features in control panel, click on turn windows features on and off and make sure SMB 1.0 is enabled.
Also, make sure your NAS box has SMB 1.0 enabled as well.
From what you have said it looks like you will need to change some services to 'automatic' but you will find this when you google the issue.

Ah! thanks for the heads up and pointer re: SMB1

It turns out my old Zyxel NAS is by default SMB1 and not updateable to SMB 2 or 3, they point to one MS docs webpage that refers to SMB 1 as having security flaws and should not be re-activated. With another link to their own KB pages here Reactivate SMBv1 support for NAS devices on Windows 10 – Zyxel Support Campus EMEA where they state "at owners risk" o_O

PS checking the settings on my PC I see this
SMB1.jpg

Which is a tad different to the screenshots in the Zyxel KB page

So, I have no idea about the risk/vulnerability being spoken about but as two 'parts' of SMB 1.0/CIFS are already running do I need to tick the last box "Server" or not bearing in mind that the connection is only glitchy when using Shutdown and not restart???

Last edited:
Ah! thanks for the heads up and pointer re: SMB1

It turns out my old Zyxel NAS is by default SMB1 and not updateable to SMB 2 or 3, they point to one MS docs webpage that refers to SMB 1 as having security flaws and should not be re-activated. With another link to their own KB pages here Reactivate SMBv1 support for NAS devices on Windows 10 – Zyxel Support Campus EMEA where they state "at owners risk" o_O

As far as I know there are no options for SMB2 and 3 within Win 10 itself but SMB 1.0 is also what Synology mentioned for the fix as well but this was already enabled on my NAS.
I expect there is more of a problem with people using weak passwords than a potential issue with SMB and security.

As far as I know there are no options for SMB2 and 3 within Win 10 itself but SMB 1.0 is also what Synology mentioned for the fix as well but this was already enabled on my NAS.
I expect there is more of a problem with people using weak passwords than a potential issue with SMB and security.

Passwords! with the NAS it is nothing used elsewhere and not a 'library' word but mixture of upper & lower case plus some digits.

I will have to read up about the SMB1 vulnerabilities plus as a test tick the 'server' box and see if that means that Win Explorer behaves OK with its connections???

Edit:-
I found this statement in this MS doc page
SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 version 1709, Windows Server version 1709 and later versions | Microsoft Docs

"If you cannot use any of these workarounds, or if the application manufacturer cannot provide supported versions of SMB, you can re-enable SMBv1 manually by following the steps in How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows.

Important
We strongly recommend that you don't reinstall SMBv1. This is because this older protocol has known security issues regarding ransomware and other malware."

Hmmm! is it a correct surmise that as SMB1.0 is listed in my "Turn on features" that I do indeed still have it installed and hence the latter warning is not 100% relevant ??? NB this W10 install was the digital license upgrade from W7

Last edited:
yep all of the above
SMB was going to be my next suggestion.
you can also use the ip address in the same fashion ie \\192.168.0.56\stuff if you have a fixed ip on the NAS

personally i would use the IP option on a home network.

i do on my HP microserver which has my BIGSTUFF share

remember you are on a closed network, so technically SMB v1 is secure.

Last edited:
yep all of the above
SMB was going to be my next suggestion.
you can also use the ip address in the same fashion ie \\192.168.0.56\stuff if you have a fixed ip on the NAS

personally i would use the IP option on a home network.

i do on my HP microserver which has my BIGSTUFF share

Thanks for the insights :)

I will go through the shares tomorrow and disconnect the name based shares and create IP based ones and yes I have the NAS on a static IP.

As for the currently unticked SMB1.0/CIFS Server box, I have been reading and have seen that most advice says for NAS devices it is an SMA 1.0/CIFS client device and that box is already ticked ;)

I will update this as I find out the results of the IP based changes etc as appropriate.

This something I keep talking about.
If a good strong password is used with a router and for wifi, it should be fine to use SMB 1.0.
I understand why MS disabled it but they should have highlighted the fact rather than people having to google for a fix.

Passwords! with the NAS it is nothing used elsewhere and not a 'library' word but mixture of upper & lower case plus some digits.

I will have to read up about the SMB1 vulnerabilities plus as a test tick the 'server' box and see if that means that Win Explorer behaves OK with its connections???

Edit:-
I found this statement in this MS doc page
SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 version 1709, Windows Server version 1709 and later versions | Microsoft Docs

"If you cannot use any of these workarounds, or if the application manufacturer cannot provide supported versions of SMB, you can re-enable SMBv1 manually by following the steps in How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows.

Important
We strongly recommend that you don't reinstall SMBv1. This is because this older protocol has known security issues regarding ransomware and other malware."

Hmmm! is it a correct surmise that as SMB1.0 is listed in my "Turn on features" that I do indeed still have it installed and hence the latter warning is not 100% relevant ??? NB this W10 install was the digital license upgrade from W7

Don't forget to also look at services as well.
The relevant ones could be disabled or not set to auto but I can't remember if they are disabled as default when updating Win 10.
Here is a link for those: http://woshub.com/network-computers-not-showing-windows-10/.
I had to tweak these as well on my laptop but again, my desktop was fine.

Hi all

Right I did re-create the shares using the IP address path and so far the connection seems solid.................as before with the 'name' share path it would have lost the connection by now.

Once again thanks to 'all' for the insights and helpful pointers :)

Hi all

Right I did re-create the shares using the IP address path and so far the connection seems solid.................as before with the 'name' share path it would have lost the connection by now.

Once again thanks to 'all' for the insights and helpful pointers :)

happy to help :)

Back