NAS Newbie....

Name
Roy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Folks,

I'm planning to step into the world of NAS for home use. It would be employed to:
  1. store photographs (174GB)
  2. store movies (155GB)
  3. store ebooks (10GB)
  4. store music (144GB)
  5. host a time machine backup from our home MAC
  6. host our iTunes library
  7. allow access for our TVs to stream any of the content over the network
  8. as (7) for our iPads
  9. provide automated backup via RAID 1
  10. external access to media, whilst I am travelling, although this is not that important
We use Devolo home plugs, so I'm not worried about streaming wirelessly, and - if I'm correct - I'm not worried about video transcoding, as I planned to make two copies of any films that I have: a MKV for the TV's and an M4V for the apple stuff.

So far I've narrowed my search to using either QNAP or Synology twin-bay products, with WD Red drives (which I would buy separately, as I read that this saves a little money). So far so good, but now I'm struggling to pick one! I'm considering one from the following:
  • Synology DS215+
  • Synology DS216
  • Synology DS215J
  • QNAP TS251
  • QNAP TS251C
  • QNAP TS231+
  • QNAP TS231
  • QNAP TS212P
I'm mindful that my requirements are not too demanding, so I probably don't need a very high-end specification. However, I'd like to have a a little wiggle-room for 'future developments,' if that makes sense.

Having looked on the net, the two companies seem pretty similar in many respects - each run native apps in addition to certain 'favourites' such as Plex etc...

I'm reasonably competent (technically, at least) and would just like a little feedback from any experienced users, in terms of whether:
  • I only really need the entry level product in each case
  • any specific product has a better software environment for my needs
  • either companies offerings has a better hardware configuration, for ease of drive swapping or upgrading etc.
Apologies for the long post: as you can see, I want to spend my £300-400 wisely!

Best regards,
RoyM

I use 2 Western digital NAS drives both with 2tb drives in them. I bought the enclosure for one and separate drives but just got the bundle for the second one. Both wold fulfill your needs and you can just upgrade the drives later. One is a my book air, and the other is a my book cloud ex2.

we have Qnap and they are very good, we also have a seagate which is crap, thankfully its not on your list.... !

I have a Qnap TS-253, very happy with it although with hindsight I should have got the 4 or 6 bay. Also have a Synology 215j i think a better interface from Synology but no real deal breakers. I got the Synology first and only expected to use it for simple storage but started using plex etc so needed more from the CPU. Either Qnap or Synology will be good.

The Play versions of the Synology NAS are superior to their non-Play versions for movie playback. Faster processors and in-built codec support.

I use the 214play. No complaints at all.

The Play versions of the Synology NAS are superior to their non-Play versions for movie playback. Faster processors and in-built codec support.

I use the 214play. No complaints at all.

Hello John,

Thanks for the info. I don't think I need to worry about codec support, as I spent some time last week establishing that both of our TVs will work with a certain .MKV configuration for DVD ripping. So long as they can access the drive on which the files are, we should be ok.

I use a synology DS212j with 2x3tb WD red drives in. With their cloud station software I keep my photos, videos and music auto synchronised between my mac and the NAS. I use it to access data by any wired or wireless connected device. Do not use it as time capsule though

Hi Guys,

Sorry - perhaps I misunderstand RAID. I always though that in the event of a HW failure in the primary drive, then the secondary remains, and can then be used as a source to be mirrored onto the replacement for the primary. Not so?

Hi Guys,

Sorry - perhaps I misunderstand RAID. I always though that in the event of a HW failure in the primary drive, then the secondary remains, and can then be used as a source to be mirrored onto the replacement for the primary. Not so?

That's exactly right, but RAID should not be relied upon as a backup - what happens if both drives fail or the unit is stolen or worse?

So is it perhaps better to have a twin-drive unit, but not use RAID? Instead, treat the two drives as separate entities (a primary and a backup) and perform a copy periodically? In this way, corruption on the primary drive would not automatically be written to the secondary etc? Or indeed, buy a single drive NAS, plus a backup USB, which would almost certainly be cheaper?

Last edited:
So is it perhaps better to have a twin-drive unit, but not use RAID? Instead, treat the two drives as separate entities (a primary and a backup) and perform a copy periodically? In this way, corruption on the primary drive would not automatically be written to the secondary etc? Or indeed, buy a single drive NAS, plus a backup USB, which would almost certainly be cheaper?
No, raid the NAS. But also backup the NAS. One is for protection in case of a failure; the other is a backup that you should rotate and keep offsite. It will not only allow you to restore, but also go back to previous versions etc.

I'm going to say none of those but look at the Asustor AS5002T instead as it's a very good price at the moment. The extra horsepower over the base models is worth the extra.

BTW your links nearly all point to the same Synology and QNAP devices, neither of which are ones you've listed.

no experience with those models but QNAP and Synology make some of the best NAS boxes out there in my opinion. i'm sure someone will be along with some further advice on those units.

BTW your links nearly all point to the same Synology and QNAP devices, neither of which are ones you've listed.
fwiw that looks like the forum skim ads have added in generic URL.

Last edited:
TBH I have a synology box DS214+ IIRC. It's okay for the odd bit of streaming but I'm considering something like a HP microserver.

Thanks for the comments so far. Any thoughts or experience with the models under consideration?
I would say the DS215+, although I have no experience with qnap so there may be a relevant model in there as well.

The reason I choose that one is slightly better processor, more memory. This helps in how many files you can copy at the same time. But also allows for realtime transcoding if you do want to. Personally I wouldn't have two copies of the video files. I keep everything in m4a as it is very efficient and good quality. My tv, blu ray, tablets, phones and even in car entertainment all like it.

I think that model will stand the time a little better.

Some NAS devices have a noisy fan, and some don't have a silent sleep mode. Which you might want to check on if you are interested.

I would sit back and also think about using cloud storage as a backup if you have good broadband.
look at hubic for £30/year for 10TB.

this will allow you to offload that part of the equation.

Also look at the HP microserver products instead of a dedicated NAS then you have the ability to run loads of easy cheap apps to do the media sharing etc. Just bank W7/W10 on it and bingo.

Last edited:
I would sit back and also think about using cloud storage as a backup if you have good broadband.
look at hubic for £30/year for 10TB.

this will allow you to offload that part of the equation.

Also look at the HP microserver products instead of a dedicated NAS then you have the ability to run loads of easy cheap apps to do the media sharing etc. Just bank W7/W10 on it and bingo.
Thanks for the suggestion Paul, but I'm intending to keep things 'in house' rather than on the cloud. I still buy CDs and use film cameras, and just don't trust ethereal storage.....;)

Last edited:
I've had a NAS for a few years now.
A QNAP TS 412.
I's a 4bay with 2Tb in each bay.

I use to as a backup when importing files on the pc, storing films and holding about 500 albums that I have accumulated. In addition it backs up my Windows laptop, MBP, Chromebook and allows access to files for my tablet & phones. Also, via DNLA I can view films on my TV and listen to tunes as well (finally use the home cinema). This has allowed me to delete items on my PC and keep it 'lean'.

I've never had any problems with it and the software to utilise it is very easy to use.

This seems similar to what you are needing and my experience is positive and after some initial tinkering, I'm happy with my setup. You can also set it up to backup to Google Drive / equivalent, allowing you this 'other persons computer' idea that you are not so keen on......

The model has been superseded now, but something equivalent should meet your requirements I'd think

I have been using an Asustor as-202te with 2 WD red 3TB in raid 0 configuration. It's worked flawlessly for me.Plenty of updates, lots of apps and easy to use. I just wish I'd set it up as raid 1 from the beginning.I'm thinking of changing to a 4 bay Asustor and buying two more HDD to set up as raid 1.

Whatever product you have you need a backup of it complete and you have to factor in disaster scenarios like a fire or a theft, no raid will get the beyond that.
That is why using a cloud storage system is a good idea. its offsite, encrypted and protected to the same level as government data, even better with people like hubic.

move on from the "other persons computer" nonsense and spend more time taking pictures than fussing with the IT.

Basic NAS with RAID 0 and Hubic = Completely covered.

Oh no.... I'd not considered the threat of Daleks.....:banghead:

215+ or 214Play (Not on the list but worthy of consideration).

The 214Play has a hardware transcoder as has been mentioned, although with the codecs supported by my Chromecast and WebOS I have disabled it, reason being that the transcoder only supports 1 stream and sometimes I found it would use it when not absolutely necessary.

That aside, the 214Play has fantastic specs and capabilities with 1gb of ram and a dual-core hyper-threaded Intel processor.

Mine currently serves my DNS, Time Machine backups, Video Station, Audio Station, Auto-Downloader, Photo Library and general storage, all of which are accessible externally.

I've used a QNAP before, simply didn't like it, but to each their own :)

And as for Microservers, they are good value but I personally like the small form of the Synology and the apps. Not to mention the cost of Windows on top of the Microserver if you were to do it 100% legally ;) I've simply no need for anything more than a NAS, others prefer the flexibility.

You can, but most implementations I've seen recommended on here are utilising windows.

OP only stated 2-bay NAS's in the list too so was comparing size to a DS21x ;)

Don't need windows for a microserver. Can use the synology nas os if you like.

Its not much bigger than my old 5 bay syno too.
Didn't realise that. That is good to know. Although I've got mine running VMware :)

You can, but most implementations I've seen recommended on here are utilising windows.

OP only stated 2-bay NAS's in the list too so was comparing size to a DS21x ;)
I run mine on windows server doesn't mean it's the only correct way, just that fitted my requirement :)

For the cost (especially after cashback) and performance you really cant go wrong.

Didnt see about the bays but 2 bay is too quickly outgrown IMO. At least 4 bay with 2 drives to expand into.

Last edited:
Or get an expansion unit. My 2bay has a 5bay attached :)

I run mine on windows server doesn't mean it's the only correct way, just that fitted my requirement :)

For the cost (especially after cashback) and performance you really cant go wrong.

Didnt see about the bays but 2 bay is too quickly outgrown IMO. At least 4 bay with 2 drives to expand into.
Apart from the fact that there aren't any cashbacks as the microservers aren't available any more. The better ones are now getting quite expensive on eBay and much less the easy recommendation they used to be. Of course, if you do have one then FreeNAS or NAS4Free also work on them.

true they aren't currently offering any new models. the earlier models are available second hand pretty reasonably N40L @ £90 and N54L @ £120 which are perfectly fine for most things. for example my N40L runs Win2008R2, with 3 Hyper-V machines running various tasks. They only thing I found it struggled with was transcoding media on the standard GPU.

dont know what you mean about "the less easy recommendation" though.

Back