Critique Natural history shots for club competition.

Ok let's go:
1, Sure entry as is
2, too green, tweak WB
3, tone down the highlights
4, Sure entry but a tad too green
5, Sure entry as is
6, 7, 8, not really.

… but that's just me!

I really like no.5 but the only thing I would do is try and clone out the green leaves.

All the best.

no 3
burn out some of the vegetation to make the bird stand out

good entry imho

If its a ' nature' section, probably not the leopard shots, although 7,8, look OK to me. Liking the owl portrait 4. The hawk with kill, both are OK,1 seems best, 2 is a bit over-exposed. Trouble with 'nature' shots is they are supposed to be 'in the wild' and judges are looking for the subject to be 'doing' something, not just sitting or standing! Hard to get really outstanding nature pics. These seem competently taken, and I actually love the leopard close up (apart from the defocussed green leaf), but I wouldn't expect it to score highly in a nature section.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
It appears that the rules about what is a ''wild life'' shot have changed recently that almost any bird/animal qualifies as long as it ''looks '' as if it was taken in the real world.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
It appears that the rules about what is a ''wild life'' shot have changed recently that almost any bird/animal qualifies as long as it ''looks '' as if it was taken in the real world.

i think the photo of an animal which is not in an enclosure and can move freely is wild life... but not a pet
the real test the normal environs where the animal would be found
cheetahs in surrey definately dont count etc. ie zoo animals
that is why i think no 3 is most likely to be sympathetically judged
cheers
geof

Last edited:
Back