Wild Nature doing what nature does

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
Buzzard takes a barn owl  (1 of 1)-2.jpg Unfortunately I witnessed this Buzzard take a Barn owl after watching it hunt for prey,it was over in seconds ,not something I enjoyed watching and I did get more shots but I am sure from this shot you can guess the outcome ,as said not the nicest side of photographing wildlife

That's a bummer.
I wonder how much of a factor Buzzard predation plays in the decline of the Barn Owl...
Nice shot all the same.

Well you don't witness that every day.

Well done for catching it (y)

…not the nicest side of photographing wildlife

I understand perfectly and share the same feelings. However, I must disagree.

The early part of my european career was to cover refugees, displaced populations
and war areas photography. Though I could not stand the sufferings and miseries of
war, I could not close my eyes at the sight of scene of humiliation, destruction and killings.
I had to record them all, and well!

As hockey player, I like and appreciate a given degree of virility in the sport, like in any
sport but I always hated the violence on the ice even when I was dragged into the fights
sometimes.

Nature has rules, its very own set of rules and all can't always be comfortable to our con-
templative photographic approach. You shot too late to show the real, and cruel rules in
the game of survival in the wild. What about the fight to
survive of the owl? Would this be
with an extra effort from your part?

If Mother Nature kills, it is part of life! …hard spectacle granted but worth capturing it.
I still have to find an other appellation than "senseless horrible stupidity" when a given
humanity hurts, evacuates, or executes an other humanity.

Last edited:

I understand perfectly and share the same feelings. However, I must disagree.

The early part of my european career was to cover refugees, displaced populations
and war areas photography. Though I could not stand the sufferings and miseries of
war, I could not close my eyes at the sight of scene of humiliation, destruction and killings.
I had to record them all, and well!

As hockey player, I like and appreciate a given degree of virility in the sport, like in any
sport but I always hated the violence on the ice even when I was dragged into the fights
sometimes.

Nature has rules, its very own set of rules and all can't always be comfortable to our con-
templative photographic approach. You shot too late to show the real, and cruel rules in
the game of survival in the wild. What about the fight to
survive of the owl? Would this be
with an extra effort from your part?

If Mother Nature kills, it is part of life! …hard spectacle granted but worth capturing it.
I still have to find an other appellation than "senseless horrible stupidity" when a given
humanity hurts, evacuates, or executes an other humanity.

The emotional impact exists but as photographer it perhaps(?) is the dispassionate eye that views the scene and records it for posterity. Though just being there is sometimes more important than grabbing the camera.

The emotional impact exists but as photographer it perhaps(?) is the dispassionate eye that views the scene and records it for posterity.

When I go to the arena to photograph other teams, I am passionate with both
the game and the pictures. The scenes I was referring to were often shot with
much discomfort or even tears. Not a dispassionate eye! … can't get blasé
about things like that. It stay is one's mind for years… even today.
Though just being there is sometimes more important than grabbing the camera.

I was paid for the pictures I sent back not for the confession of my emotional disgust.

I understand what you mean very well but the shot Den missed was
good enough
for NG! He had the privilege to witness a rare but true situation.

Last edited:
Back