Natwest Six Nations 2018

Big day of rugby today, not sure how we’ll do in Dublin, lets hope for a cracking game either way.

Well it was a cracking game, but not the result you wanted Chris. Didn't get to see a lot of the France v England which was not as good and it looked like a not especially good France managed to disrupt the England plan.

Dave

Well it was a cracking game, but not the result you wanted Chris. Didn't get to see a lot of the France v England which was not as good and it looked like a not especially good France managed to disrupt the England plan.

Dave

Not the result I wanted but only ourselves to blame, simply and sloppy errors again. Deserved champions this year.

England were very poor in the second game, the Eddie Jones bubble starting to burst?

Reactions: mex

Dave

England looked ineffectual, kept the ball ok but then gave away a penalty (lost count of how many) and totally witless at penetrating the line or direct attack.

We'd get crucified by the Southern hemisphere...

So glad I'm a Euro-mongrel!

Well done Ireland. A great game and a well deserved win.

Dave

BTW Can anyone explain the supposed logic behind painting parts of the lines blue? The commentary appeared to suggest it was to make things easier if there was a lot of snow.

Are we to assume if there was a lot of snow the players would not be able to distinguish the white lines from the snow covered grass? If there was that much snow would not the blue bits of the lines be obscured too? If it weather was that bad the game would be abandoned.

Last edited:
BTW Can anyone explain the supposed logic behind painting parts of the lines blue? The commentary appeared to suggest it was to make things easier if there was a lot of snow.

Are we to assume if there was a lot of snow the players would not be able to distinguish the white lines from the snow covered grass? If there was that much snow would not the blue bits of the lines be obscured too? If it weather was that bad the game would be abandoned.

It seems it was that simple

And the reason the two rugby goliaths are going head-to-head on blue lines rather than white is simple - the weather.

It is a bitterly cold day in London and, as a precaution in case snow falls, groundsman took the decision to use blue paint for the markings so they would stand out against any pesky white powder.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/rugby/lines-painted-blue-twickenham-england-1352332

Can anyone explain why the Italian try was disallowed for a knock on. If you watch the footage the ref clearly indicates that the ball went backwards and allows play to carry on. How can he then ask the TMO to look at it after already making his decision.

Well done Ireland. A great game and a well deserved win.

Dave

They did the blue thing in Rome too. No danger of snow...

I'm even more confused now:confused:

Dave

I did wonder if it was done in Rome so it was easier to clear off, seen as the game is played on a football pitch.
I was back in the stadium on the Sunday night for Lazio v Bologna (which was dire btw) and the lines were gone! (And the big NatWest logo)
From a sponsor point of view Six Nations must be delighted, NatWest only signed up for one year, surely the level of competition this year will have driven some interest?

From a sponsor point of view Six Nations must be delighted, NatWest only signed up for one year, surely the level of competition this year will have driven some interest?
Wow. I hadn't realised that. Obviously it had switched from RBS to NatWest, but I had assumed that was just something internal within the RBS Group. However it seems that's not the case. This is from Wikipedia:
The Royal Bank of Scotland Group took over sponsorship from 2004 until 2017, with the competition being branded the RBS 6 Nations. A new title sponsor was sought for the 2018 tournament and beyond. However, after struggling to find a new sponsor, organisers agreed a one-year extension with the Royal Bank of Scotland Group at a reduced rate. As the RBS initials brand was being phased out, the tournament was named for their banking arm NatWest, becoming the Natwest 6 Nations.
A reduced rate! Astonishing.

Back